Page 202 of 213 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    BMW 328 2 litre straight 6 cylinder engine. Production period 1936 - 1940.
    In all, just 464 copies of all BMW 328 versions were produced.
    And then some.
    After World War 2 the Russians started dismantling complete German factories and moving them to Russia, but Russian army officers who had grown fond of 'their' BMW 328 cars, decided to keep the BMW factory in the East-German city of Eisenach, where those cars had been built, in operation, so their supply of cars and parts would be secure.
    Production kept going on after the war, which rather irritated the BMW hotshots in West-German Munich, who insisted on a change of name. So BMW Eisenach became EMW.
    Like the BMW 328 had been for the Russians, the EMW 328 was a popular car with the East-German Police. When production finally stopped, EMW started producing the three-cylinder two-stroke Wartburg car (named after the local Wartburg castle) which became the standard service vehicle of the East-German police.

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Thank you Frits, very interesting about BMW/Wartburg. Wartburg engines were used even on sidecars, for road racing.

At the moment I am little bit immers to that period, when German engineers began working in Russia after the war. A lot of interesting article. Add some text and photo. https://airpages.ru/eng/ru/troph3.shtml And two stroke Nomad II magnesium-zirconium alloy crankcase, piston with its stainless steel crown.

"In 1939, Schnürle began work on the Dz 710—a 16-cylinder, liquid-cooled, engine. The original design was a fuel injected, spark ignition engine, but the design was developed into a two-stroke diesel. However, the Dz 710 had trouble with its pistons and ultimately used a bolted steel plate piston crown. In addition, two crankshafts failed due to torsional vibrations."

"Schnürle was very committed to the Dz 710 engine. At the end of World War II, he made it clear to the Army Air Force that he was willing to go to the United States with his engines and continue their research and development. While the Dz 700 and the two Dz 710 engines were taken to the United States, it was not for Schnürle to continue their development. The ultimate disposition of the Dz 710 engines has not been found, but the eight-cylinder Dz 700 radial engine ended up in a private collection in Florida. Around 1998, it was purchased by a private collector in Germany and returned to that country."

"In 1947 the group of former BMW employees headed by Karl Prestel was mainly engaged in developing the 003C engine because of the August deadline. Germany to make turbine blades was the main obstacle. With the switch from German Tinidur to the domestic EI-403 alloy, engine operating time decreased."

"Work on the Jumo 012 that was to become a prototype for a future turboprop engine continued in a most energetic way. I would remind you that, by the autumn of 1946, two of these turbojets had been built in Dessau. In the USSR they were subjected to refinement in order to increase their operating time. Thus, at Brandner` s suggestion, a new combustion chamber was made. This was a combination of the BMW annular combustion chamber and the separate combustion chambers characteristic of the Jumo. To reduce the intensity of internal processes, the rate of compression was lowered from 6 to 4.5. Much effort was expended to observe the turbine blade-mounting angle since a violation of this parameter caused a breakdown of flow; vibrations, and other unpleasant phenomena. But, many difficult questions such as nozzle thermal stratification, blade flow phenomena, reasons for sympathetic oscillation, and so on could not be solved without the use of precision instrumentation, which the plant lacked."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wartburg engine.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	346748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	khd-dz-710-side.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	346749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napier-nomad-i-and-ii-geartrain.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	346750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napier-nomad-ii-cutaway.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	346751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napier-nomad-ii-parts-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	346752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napier-nomad-ii-prop-test.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	346753  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Looks like the 'cold war' between the Soviet Union and USA could have been caused by bickering over who had the 'best Germans'!

BTW I used to ride a Suzuki T20 (which I considered then to be fast), but one of those DKW Wartburg cars passed me when I thought I was really moving and blew me into the weeds!
    However someone may have "breathed" on it - possibly it was one being developed as a rally car, I dunno! - but quite an embarrassment !
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    none
    I used to ride a Suzuki T20 (which I considered then to be fast), but one of those DKW Wartburg cars passed me when I thought I was really moving and blew me into the weeds!
    However someone may have "breathed" on it - possibly it was one being developed as a rally car, I dunno! - but quite an embarrassment !
    Wasn't me! I used to win races in a rallycross car based on a DKW 1000S two-stroke triple, but I never took it Down Under. And I doubt that it would have been faster than a good Suzuki T20 (by far the most beautiful bike of its era if you ask me).

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Very nice TS 20 crankcase, with vertical split and gearbox double fork is very interesting.

Add Zunddap S27 engine photo, from Sd.Kfz. 303 Leichter Ladungsträger Goliath. I am not sure, how intake flow was controlled. In small photo with crankshaft, clearly seen a hole in the center. As carb attached to crankcase and there is no disc valves, looks like intake flow goes through the crankshaft center shaft like on some RC engines. Or maybe this is piston ported intake, just tunnel goes up and then separated to both cylinders from sides.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXG7RQTKlBI

Name:	CCF11082016_00001 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	346768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0188532245a09505b042ad85c150.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	346769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12d9f3d64fc6a58133adfcdb8e21.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	346770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	German Assault Pioneer Team & Goliath.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	346771  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Wasn't me! I used to win races in a rallycross car based on a DKW 1000S two-stroke triple, but I never took it Down Under. And I doubt that it would have been faster than a good Suzuki T20 (by far the most beautiful bike of its era if you ask me).
    Yes I loved my T20 on which I was capable of beating the big Beezas and Triumphs on our short street circuits - but to be honest you had to be brave to ride it with its interesting handling characteristics - (bendy banana frame made it wallow somewhat in the corners, spindly front forks which locked up when you braked hard, (at least till the front drum brake started to fade later on, in fact became non existent!) - but I loved it and it went like the clappers and all with a very unsophisticated uncomplicated two stroke engine! and yes, a pleasant looking bike!

I would have loved to have had one of those DKW cars though!

KATINAS
    Yes an interesting engine for sure - but I would have preferred just to look at the engine, rather than go anywhere near that "contraption"
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    katinas,thank you for posting the interesting info on various aircraft engine types from Russia and Germany!So many complicated reciprocating engine designs at the wars end only to be trampled under by the gas turbine engines..

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes there was a lot of very interesting stuff in your posts!

BTW - Was it you who checked out and researched the "Ryger" stuff (quite a while ago) ?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Yes WilDun, last tests was ended with destroyed piston, because someone call at the moment when I prepare new ring for new test. So after call end, I simply forget to adjust piston ring gap. Very funny.
    This year tests with Ryger like piston type shape on normal engine, together with direct intake to transfers, showed the possible cause of zero torque at midrange, before pipe is on, on the Rygerised engine. And surprisingly, this is maybe not because of reduced piston pumping capability, as I tough before.
    Perhaps it would be interesting to discuss this a bit and maybe try it again.

Photos of the latest Rygerised version with Honda CR 125 cylinder.

Name:	20170705_163120.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	666.0 KB 
ID:	346826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_163022.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	627.4 KB 
ID:	346825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170705_162951.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	786.0 KB 
ID:	346824  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    ................ This year tests with Ryger like piston type shape on normal engine, together with direct intake to transfers...............Perhaps it would be interesting to discuss this a bit and maybe try it again.

Photos of the latest Rygerised version with Honda CR 125 cylinder.
    Good to see you hadn't given up completely when the huge "Ryger Debate" stopped! - I did not pay much attention to the Ryger at the time because it was really getting out of hand, so I don't know a lot about it! (much of it was "over my head" anyway!) - but I did look in sometimes and the arguments there were pretty bad!
    There were so many uninformed opinions which I would probably have added to! (as I said a few posts back I'm just a layman in this area) - the guy who started it all was arguing with everybody in reach - I did feel sorry for him however, in that he was seeing his brainchild going down the tubes!

I actually (me!!) asked him to stop arguing (for the sake of the thread) and making claims he couldn't back up - he said he would, but less than a week later he was at it again.
    Obviously I wasn't a very good referee!! ...... so I didn't continue down that path!

I still felt a little sorry his dream led to nowhere though - but in saying that, I didn't really know him or what he was like! - others here did!

But yes, info on your experiments would make interesting reading here if you wish to share!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Ryger, peer review didn't go so well for them. If you make such claims you need to be prepared to defend them, with actual reality. It didn't stand up to scrutiny very well.
    But all was not lost, it created a lot of discussions and idea brainstorming, like I haven't seen in a while, or since. I would like to think progress came from the Ryger sarger. I know it made me 'think'.

Bike
    honda ns 400
    ........ experiments would make interesting reading here if you wish to share!
    Yes of course, just later after this weekend’s Austria 2, as I must focus on my commenting work.

Add Bernard Hooper patent for one cylinder stepped piston engine. Maybe not for very high output, but another “closed crankcase” type, without any additional external moving parts, just piston is opposite to Ryger.

Name:	crankcase free 1 (2).png 
Views:	46 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	346853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crankcase free 1 (1).png 
Views:	49 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	346854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crankcase free2.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	346855  

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    ....... I would like to think progress came from the Ryger sarger. I know it made me 'think'.
    Two stroke land Holland, summer of 1945.......

Name:	Umm ... there is a V1 in the backyard - Holland in the summer of 1945.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	346856  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    Two stroke land Holland, summer of 1945.......
    No,no, - that's a 2017 symbolic monument to a certain failed project - (the R***r)!

I hope that you can learn from the past and manage to raise the (V2?) to greater heights!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    honda ns 400
    This photo is unbelievable. And what these two young heads thought in the green meadow……

Sometimes fighters pilots tried change flight path of V1 with a light touch of the wing.

Thread Information