Page 196 of 196 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 2940

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

  1. #2926
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Yes, well, that could not possibly happen because there wouldn't be a two stroke to steal in the first place and if there was, the thieving dickheads wouldn't bother stealing it anyway!
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  2. #2927
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Such is the state of affairs in regard to two strokes today!............. (BTW I'm away from home at the moment so, reduced to using my phone - we have just been released from house arrest!).
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  3. #2928
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    10,296
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Gordon Blair did a lot of research for Yamaha etc. and as well as his two stroke work he also did a lot of research on four stroke cylinder head design - eg the Toyota 4 valve heads (which were I believe made by Yamaha).

    Dr Blair was a big fan of the two stroke and dedicated to improving the existing Schneurle system but significantly, he didn't forget the four stroke (his main bread and butter!).
    (BTW he lived and worked only a few miles from where I grew up).

    When I said that the Schneurle system has done its dash, I meant that, although commercially viable and reasonably successful for quite a while, the whole design needs to be replaced by something which almost eliminates a fresh, oil laden charge from coming into contact with the outgoing charge either in the cylinder or in the exhaust pipe - that really was the cause of its demise on the road going machinery.
    The two main things which can save it are its power to weight ratio, a clean exhaust and the possibility of simplicity, that is the only chance it will ever have in making it back on the roads. - The opposed piston is a distinct possibility here - as for combustion chamber shape, could HCCI take care of that concern? and at the same time get rid of all our 'squish' woes (doesn't really matter about the shape anymore)?

    Here I go again! Gordon Blair would turn in his grave if he heard me! - so I'll shut up and if someone steps up and proves me wrong, then, so be it!
    I did a reply to you the other day but it was lost
    my understanding was Yamaha designed the TOyota GT2000 head even theough they had not made a bike bigger then a 350 2 stroke
    it want that well they copied it back to do the XS650 a few years later
    they went on to collaborate more with Yamaha and likely still do
    the lead guy on the GT2000 and XS650 was the lead on the 5 valve and deltabox.
    Yamaha it turns out never had a computer so they used to use the computer the Yamaha piano/Organ section had at night.
    http://www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/en/truestory.htm
    https://global.yamaha-motor.com/abou...ries/0012.html
    https://global.yamaha-motor.com/abou...tory/from1965/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .




    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  4. #2929
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    I believe that G Blair did work for Yamaha when they were producing the four valve TX 500 twin and Toyota were developing the four cylinder1600 four valve head imodels in the mid eighties - this was well after the 6 cylinder models.
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  5. #2930
    Join Date
    22nd November 2013 - 16:32
    Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    694
    A 2 stroke...….no smoke and no expansion chamber


    https://www.facebook.com/StrangeDeve...7816313608614/
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

  6. #2931
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    A 2 stroke...….no smoke and no expansion chamber
    https://www.facebook.com/StrangeDeve...7816313608614/
    Ken,
    The video doesn't tell you much of course, but I guess they are on the right track, especially if the expansion chambers are not there mixing fresh charge and exhaust gas!
    So as I see it, I may have been on the right track after all!
    However before jumping with joy, we haven't as yet seen the result of the tests or know if we are getting adequate power or economy for the everyday two stroke!
    It'll be interesting to see what transpires (hopefully soon), because it is getting towards the last chance for the two stroke to regain it's place on the roads!
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  7. #2932
    Join Date
    20th April 2011 - 08:45
    Bike
    none
    Location
    Raalte, Netherlands
    Posts
    2,897
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    A 2 stroke...….no smoke and no expansion chamber
    https://www.facebook.com/StrangeDeve...7816313608614/
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Ken, The video doesn't tell you much of course, but I guess they are on the right track, especially if the expansion chambers are not there mixing fresh charge and exhaust gas! So as I see it, I may have been on the right track after all! However before jumping with joy, we haven't as yet seen the result of the tests or know if we are getting adequate power or economy for the everyday two stroke! It'll be interesting to see what transpires (hopefully soon), because it is getting towards the last chance for the two stroke to regain it's place on the roads!
    It took some digging because the 'info' mainly consists of boasting, but I found out that they use four-stroke-like cases and crankshaft, a mechanical blower, piston-controlled exhaust and transfer ports and a rotary exhaust valve that turns the symmetrical exhaust timing into asymmetrical, giving the supercharger a chance to supercharge the cylinder. Claim for their 600 cc parallel-twin is 200 hp, which I think is feasible with asymmetrical exhaust timing and supercharging.
    It reminds me of a similar project, started by my mate Roland Holzner, a couple of years ago.
    Don't let the 'Turbo'-text on the engine fool you. It's a crankshaft-driven centrifugal supercharger, but as Roland said: "If it doesn't say Turbo, it won't sell".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-04-a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	345963 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-04b.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	345964 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-04c.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	345962 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-20.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	345965 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-04e.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	345961

  8. #2933
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    5,065
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I believe that G Blair did work for Yamaha when they were producing the four valve TX 500 twin and Toyota were developing the four cylinder1600 four valve head imodels in the mid eighties - this was well after the 6 cylinder models.
    I don't think he was involved in the early 4V heads - but he was certainly involved with the 5 valve ones.

    He gave a talk here in ChCh for the NZ Engine Reconditioners assn - they liked to have a feature speaker for the annual conference.
    He was on his way home to the UK from Japan where he'd been showing Toyota/Yamaha and Nissan current thoughts on 4v design.
    I'm pretty sure that it was while he was there Yamaha decided to let the 5v engines run their time and concentrate on the next gen of 4V ones.

    I got to ask one question - related to the advance curve for the 5v engines - which is just plain weird.
    He confirmed it was a turbulence problem - and dropped a pretty plain hint the 5V days were numbered
    Incidentally, as I've said before elsewhere, the only bike guys there were the Britten team - and me.

    Frits - good to see you posting - hope all's well.
    That blown engine could well be a minefield when it comes to cooling. Everything would need to be water jacketed at that power level. Blower, manifolding, driver's gonads....

  9. #2934
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I don't think he was involved in the early 4V heads - but he was certainly involved with the 5 valve ones.

    He gave a talk here in ChCh for the NZ Engine Reconditioners assn ..........
    I'm pretty sure that it was while he was there Yamaha decided to let the 5v engines run their time and concentrate on the next gen of 4V ones.............
    He confirmed it was a turbulence problem - and dropped a pretty plain hint the 5V days were numbered ..........

    That blown engine could well be a minefield when it comes to cooling. Everything would need to be water jacketed at that power level. Blower, manifolding, driver's gonads....
    Yeah, the 5 valve engines didn't quite get there and I guess by what you are saying, he didn't have his heart in it anymore - but, was it his invention or was he was charged with the task of trying to develop it for Yamaha? (I dunno) - certainly it agrees with Frits's 'KISS' principle!
    As for the "gonads" thing - mightn't be a bad idea for some of the clowns riding around the roads - by turning them into "Eunuchs" and save the world from the proliferation of such people in society! ..... me? - I somehow escaped!

    FRITS
    Thanks for all the digging you have been doing - you obviously are still interested in the future of the two stroke as a viable powerplant for everyone in tomorrow's (post pandemic) world, as opposed to competition only.

    As I have been saying, competition is often a spinoff from whatever we are used to driving on the roads and if the interest swings to competing with EV's (and it could if fashion dictates) then where will the two stroke with it's versatility end up ? - in the history books!
    I still maintain that a "clean" two stroke has a future in the 'hybrid" scene and there could be a huge market in the underdeveloped - I mean emerging countries - (got to be PC! ) or anyone in the world looking for independent personal transport.

    Your old Mate is right, the name needs to titivate the simple minds of the 'dedicated followers of fashion' (these people with their disposable income are everywhere).
    The name tag is all important and keeps changing - eg our original (and correct) idea of a "moped" no longer bears any resemblance to what people are calling mopeds today! ..... so maybe we could invent a new name for the supercharger (to keep it separate from a turbocharger) ......... maybe "Grunter" - or something equally ridiculous!
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  10. #2935
    Join Date
    21st June 2012 - 14:20
    Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Location
    Camden, S.C. USA
    Posts
    80
    I looked at the Strange vid,,appears to have the spark plug lead attached to the supercharger housing,and a UNI filter bobbing around on the "cylinder head"..How do we know if the electric starter isnt motoring that 'engine' over to make it appear to be running??Seems to 'run' rough also..Perhaps I'm a skeptic,but after the Ryger affair more proof will be needed!

  11. #2936
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    I looked at the Strange vid,,appears to have the spark plug lead attached to the supercharger housing,and a UNI filter bobbing around on the "cylinder head"..How do we know if the electric starter isnt motoring that 'engine' over to make it appear to be running??Seems to 'run' rough also..Perhaps I'm a skeptic,but after the Ryger affair more proof will be needed!
    There is the old English saying, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"!
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

  12. #2937
    Join Date
    20th January 2010 - 14:41
    Bike
    husaberg
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    10,296
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Yeah, the 5 valve engines didn't quite get there and I guess by what you are saying, he didn't have his heart in it anymore - but, was it his invention or was he was charged with the task of trying to develop it for Yamaha? (I dunno) - certainly it agrees with Frits's 'KISS' principle!
    As for the "gonads" thing - mightn't be a bad idea for some of the clowns riding around the roads - by turning them into "Eunuchs" and save the world from the proliferation of such people in society! ..... me? - I somehow escaped!
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/a...p?albumid=4977
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .




    Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

  13. #2938
    Join Date
    4th September 2017 - 10:39
    Bike
    Daelim besbi 2008
    Location
    Espaρa
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    A 2 stroke...….no smoke and no expansion chamber


    https://www.facebook.com/StrangeDeve...7816313608614/

    This video is a screenshot of the one shown on the creator page.



    The other:University Of Idaho Clean Snowmobile Team's Rotary Synchronous Charge Trapping. Valve system blocks exhaust port to prevent fresh intake charge from going into exhaust.


  14. #2939
    Join Date
    28th August 2015 - 00:01
    Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    178
    Someone needs to explain to me why these complex new designs are better than the simple, tuned pipe, crankcase scavenged engines. Are they more powerful, easier to maintain, less expensive, or lighter weight? They may be more compact and have a better power band, but I can't think of any compelling reason to chose this new design or any others for small engines.

    Lohring Miller

  15. #2940
    Join Date
    10th February 2005 - 20:25
    Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand.
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Someone needs to explain to me why these complex new designs are better than the simple, tuned pipe, crankcase scavenged engines. Are they more powerful, easier to maintain, less expensive, or lighter weight? They may be more compact and have a better power band, but I can't think of any compelling reason to chose this new design or any others for small engines.

    Lohring Miller
    Lohring,
    I agree that the two stroke with it's (inherent) simplicity and great power/weight ratio is being undermined by the need to add on all sorts of attachments in order to make it perform properly all over the rev range (this being very necessary on road machines), the tuned pipe has it's (often huge) advantage in the BHP department but only in within a certain rev band - all the other addons/accessories are there to make up for it's downsides on the roads where the full rev range is important - so we still haven't got any simple answer to making the two stroke useful for commuting or cruising on highways! - but the bloody oily smoky exhaust which has more or less sunk it as far as using it for something other than 'sport' or garden tools etc. is still with us - that alone could cause its demise!

    That's my take anyway - we are proposing all these 'new' ideas only because it gives us pleasure to keep trying something new - as you say, no compelling reason!
    Then, to put the boot in, it appears that governments are looking at banning all combustion engines eventually, possibly by as early as 2030!
    I'll probably be gone by then - (think I was doomed to live only in the internal combustion era).! - look at the pollution coming out of that thing ! - and to think that I lived through that! ......... but, it.was a “fun ride” while it lasted!
    Freedom of speech is important - but
    P.C. has destroyed our right to speak the truth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •