Page 206 of 213 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Elwood was a man of many talents (this included being a flag marshal) - but not many realized he was actually a talent spy for Suzuki (on the lookout for budding motorcycle engineers!).- but he was out of luck on that occasion, cos I wasn't present!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Vintage 2T

Bike
    Exercycle
    Will, that pic is a perfect period microcosm. So much is familiar even though I never got to Baypark in the period.
    The tank shape is familiar - seen it many times but can't remember who made them. The tacho is the only one available in NZ at the time which would go over 10 grand. they're a pos. Mine is somewhere here still reading 1500rpm....
    The crowd so close. Normal then. Sidecar Bob could probably put names to some of them too.

The back brake operating arm is impressive. No lack of leverage there, lol.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Will, that pic is a perfect period microcosm. So much is familiar even though I never got to Baypark in the period.
    The tank shape is familiar - seen it many times but can't remember who made them. The tacho is the only one available in NZ at the time which would go over 10 grand. they're a pos. Mine is somewhere here still reading 1500rpm....
    The crowd so close. Normal then. Sidecar Bob could probably put names to some of them too.

The back brake operating arm is impressive. No lack of leverage there, lol.
    Glad to see that pic, I was beginning to think that all these memories were just a figment of my imagination and I thought, 'gone forever'!
    I have never seen that pic before ........ unfortunately I was too engrossed with the bikes to ever think about taking photos myself!.

As you more or less said, it was a rare find and should be treasured - not just for the bike (which was built from parts we had lying around and was just for a bit of fun), but the whole sixties/seventies NZ scene.
    If the guy who was riding it is still around, (he'd be over 80 now), he would no doubt be very pleased to see that photo!
    Maybe we shouldn't discuss the brake linkage! (perhaps we figured it might be needed when the brake drum at the front faded! ) - I really don't know if there was any theory behind it at all - a mystery!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350

2-stroke hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    JB, the 4.2 kg weight is impressive, but the fuel consumption of 800 gm/kWhr isn't
    Chinese Foxtech design not the state of art, just working and increasing range in 4+ times related pure electric. I saw other 2-stroke UAV 11kw 180cc engine which use direct injection and have rather impressive 280gm/kWhr and multifuels. It use air injection system originated from 50cc italian scooters.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    JB, from your description it sounds like the Orbital 2 fluid system. 280 gm/kWhr is good. If you have a look at this, you'll see that Orbital till makes engines, specifically for drones: https://orbitaluav.com/propulsion-solutions/. I thought that they were only 50 cc units, but they may have increased the capacity to the 180 cc to cater for larger drones.

One of the key selling features is that it can run spark ignited on heavy fuels, eg Jet Fuel A due to the very good atomization due to the compressed air being a propellant for the fuel charge. Jet Fuel A is a requirement set by the US military so that the majority of all their transport (sea, air and land) can run on the same fuel, this being for logistical reasons.

Might sniff around to see what engine capacities they are working with.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1997 Yamaha rd 350
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    it sounds like the Orbital 2 fluid system
    Aprilia of DiTech Di = Direct injection / Tech = Technology
    Piaggio/Gilera's = PureJet.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiplane View Post
    Aprilia of DiTech Di = Direct injection / Tech = Technology
    Piaggio/Gilera's = PureJet.
    both owned by same company...........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	29 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	347549
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    bsa. honda. aprilia

opposed and 2 stroke?

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Inner face of "Fieseler Storch" Argus As 10C engine piston.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fieseler Storch (1).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	347916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture8.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	347917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture11-768x533.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	347918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture5.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	347919  

Bike
    2006 Honda cr250
    Quote Originally Posted by katinas View Post
    WilDun, alloy part with piston pin is threaded into the steel tube. Tube wall thickness 1.3 mm.
    All this complicated piston construction, with small fixing bolt inside, is designed only to make engine as compact as possible, but at the same time maintaining a longer thrust for smaller piston part at TDC (28 mm in my case ) and not to let piston pin hole to clash with lower cylinder seal as masked gudgeon pin is higher than seal at TDC.
    So with 50.6 mm stroke, the minimum height of additional plate under the cylinder, that I could do, was 20 mm.
    But after every test threaded part little lose, so it s not a good solution. Maybe longer height of that threaded small part could help, but fixing still needed.
    Perhaps better chose solid piston with thin steel liner (I even already have it made from a tractor piston pin 38 mm dia. x 0.9 mm thick) and open hole for piston pin from one side, with normal circlip. Of course this add another 8-10 mm to plate so cylinder must be rise from 20 mm to 30 mm.
    On Ryger pistons they use special key for pin from one side, but they still must use two bolts to fix it. Narrower part of Ryger piston was coated.
    Can you tell me anything else on the Ryger? They still in business?

Bike
    honda ns 400
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan38 View Post
    Can you tell me anything else on the Ryger? They still in business?
    Hi Stefan,

In fact I know nothing about Ryger group, except what has been published in various forms on the internet. So I can’t say anything further about their work.

I still think that stepped piston concept is the simplest of all possible options to separate crankcase and use the fuel without oil. And no additional moving element.
    Another question is how to take advantage of the stepped piston for scavenging.

I nearly started again with stepped piston on NSR 250 crankcase, but decide to continue my tests with direct to transfers scheme, with inside reed valve.
    This time with 54 mm stroke and Honda RS gp cylinders, adapted to Honda NS 400 crankcase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54 mm stroke and 120 mm conrod.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	930.3 KB 
ID:	347978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NS 400 crankcase and testing crank 54 mm.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	768.0 KB 
ID:	347979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201127_161941.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	886.9 KB 
ID:	347980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda RS gp.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	759.7 KB 
ID:	347981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DI.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	791.7 KB 
ID:	347982  

Bike
    husaberg
    Always cool stuff Kat

I have seen this on a trawl today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Honda CB350, XL350
    Seems like at least one has been located, I doubt they ever sold many at all
    https://www.facebook.com/11691610833...6227134733154/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'd be surprised if that survives. Probably re-engined in period.
    Lyster's next step was an 8 valve head for the CB450 - which was a much better package and easier to do.
    The one he did do became the property of the American who paid the bills - he got the patterns too.
    At the time of Colin's death he was working on patterns to recreate the 8V honda heads.

Bike
    husaberg

Thread Information