Page 153 of 214 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3197

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    So, this letter appeared (I think) in Classic Racer

A while before, I had met a gentleman called Rob Edwards at a Belgian Classic Road race. He was racing the Arrow below. Single carb and 4 speed "because I'm a traditionalist". Still had an uprated primary drive and barrels, though...
    Anyway, when he wasn't trying to sell me his number 2 bike - Arrow engine in a CZ/Jawa "banana" frame(!?), he told me he had a triple with proper racing provenance. He was also mates with Ron at Fahron, the source of his Arrow ali racing cylinders, so I guess it's the same bike. Rob seems to have almost no internet presence and I lost touch with him so just a guess.
    Rob had a variety of "merch", the picture that says "Lone Gunman Racing" was one of his postcards and he gave me a pen that was printed with, "Ariel Arrow - Smoking at its best".

I didn't get a picture of the CZAriel (ArrowCZ? ArrCZ? JAWAriel? Jel?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 1 - 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	336951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob Edwards Ariel - CRMB meeting 4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	336950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob Edwards Ariel - CRMB meeting 3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	336949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob Edwards Ariel - CRMB meeting 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	336948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob Edwards Ariel - CRMB meeting 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	336947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rob Edwards Ariel - Postcard.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	336946  

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    I'm done with what I've got for Ariels, but there is this

Name:	Adler LC 1 - 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	824.3 KB 
ID:	336955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adler LC 2 - 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	804.1 KB 
ID:	336954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adler LC 3 - 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	818.1 KB 
ID:	336953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adler LC 4 - 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	336952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adler LC 5 - 1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	834.5 KB 
ID:	336957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adler LC 6 - 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	534.4 KB 
ID:	336956  

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Chopped up because the book was too big for the scanner!

Name:	Page 07 - 1.jpg 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	336958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 08 - 1.jpg 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	336959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 09 - 1.jpg 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	336960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 10 - 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	336961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page 11 - 1.jpg 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	336962  

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Thanks guys for all the Arrow stuff, - still think it is a great looking bike, never loses it's appeal to me!

Looking at the Adler reminds me of being out at the Pukekohe racetrack (near Auckland) around 1970 and I was talking to an old English guy (in his seventies I guess - about the same age as I am now) - he said he came from Buxton (Derbyshire?). He had come to watch the racing on his Adler twin, unfortunately I never got to see it - they weren't well known out here, I have never seen one anyway.
    Some people tried to say that the Ariel arrow (engine) was copied from the Adler, well I guess it was - ie in the same way as a BSA twin was a copy of a Triumph twin!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Thanks guys for all the Arrow stuff, - still think it is a great looking bike, never loses it's appeal to me!

Looking at the Adler reminds me of being out at the Pukekohe racetrack (near Auckland) around 1970 and I was talking to an old English guy (in his seventies I guess - about the same age as I am now) - he said he came from Buxton (Derbyshire?). He had come to watch the racing on his Adler twin, unfortunately I never got to see it - they weren't well known out here, I have never seen one anyway.
    Some people tried to say that the Ariel arrow (engine) was copied from the Adler, well I guess it was - ie in the same way as a BSA twin was a copy of a Triumph twin!
    The original Yamaha twins were copied from the Adler.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YAMAHAYD-1-1492_1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	336970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3909+Adler+MB250.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	345.2 KB 
ID:	336971
    The leader arrow was an improvement has it didn't have a crank mounted clutch

Coincidently the leader arrow designer Val page designed the first Triumph twin.
    he also designed the First A7 BSA

I am not sure but i think tha adlers might have had a Hirth coupling on the crank?
    he checks yip
    http://www.adlermotorcycles.com/MyIm...0PART%20No.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Vaguely connected to all this, I saw a picture in a Dutch or Belgian magazine of a Hungarian bloke who'd made a Pannonia 4, don't know if that's from 4 singles or 2 twins but it looked a bit like the Yankee/Ossa 1000 engine.
    I didn't think I'd ever heard of Pannonias (Pannonias?) but my father in law has a 1966 magazine at his house and "Snide and Shark" were advertising a batch at knock down prices.

http://www.prideandclarkelondon.com/heritage/

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The leader arrow was an improvement has it didn't have a crank mounted clutch.............
    .........Coincidently the leader arrow designer Val page designed the first Triumph twin.
    he also designed the First A7 BSA.............
    ........ tha adlers might have had a Hirth coupling on the crank?
    Ariel went on the cheap with the taper and key replacing the hirth coupling - but it worked ok (to a degree) I guess!
    NSU and the Japs were already using primary gears etc then and I wouldn't think that Val Page would have missed all the trends, I reckon his hands were tied!

The Suzuki T10 engine looks suspiciously like the Adler too - I believe it had the old 52 X 58 bore/stroke like the Bantam - several guys had a go at racing them, but they were totally outclassed by the T20 when it appeared! - 28BHP as opposed to the Arrow's 17 BHP, (dunno about the power of the T10 or the Adler). Admittedly with the T20, you had to change down a gear going into a headwind! - every gear on the six speed box was needed!

The Arrow had a bore/stroke of 54X54, like the MZ125 & 250 racers and the Suzuki T20. (and most 250's thereafter!).

I remember Hugh Anderson saying that he thought that the T20 looked kinda similar to the Suzuki twin racer (pre Degner) - after that, Degner's input changed everything drastically.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    In case you didn't see the link Flettner posted in the Foundry, here's more proof that the 2 stroke still has application in this rapidly changing world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3fmFTtP9g

cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post
    In case you didn't see the link Flettner posted in the Foundry, here's more proof that the 2 stroke still has application in this rapidly changing world.

cheers, Daryl.
    I bet that would be a bouncy ride.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post

cheers, Daryl.
    Yeah, saw it, that is brilliant and a use for the two stroke of course but I doubt if that would last for long when they get lighter batteries and quiet motors or maybe just electric actuators!!
    The progress in this area is mind blowing when you look at that thing and what it can do!

Does make you think though, could life on earth become very different? ie when these things (not necessarily Androids etc. but machines in general) get to a stage where they can design and reproduce themselves - that's probably nearer than many of us would think, with artificial intelligence progressing by leaps and bounds! - there have been factories working all by themselves for decades, which are only being monitored by a human.
    They would be able to live in a more toxic environment than we live in with no oxygen as well (when we have polluted it completely) - maybe they would eventually come to the decision that we humans are no longer necessary because of the need for oxygen and the need to grow food........ a burden!
    Why would these contraptions need to exist anyway?........ why do we need to exist? - to dig up the earth and produce gas I guess! that's really all we do! ( ie if we stand back and take a good look at it from a distance!).

Then again, I'm probably just being a silly old bastard!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    Like F5 Dave does,here is a musical interlude;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

Bike
    husaberg
    oh well why not
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    If only I had known that you guys were so fond of song, I could have set my post to music and put it on You Tube! - I'm not great at singing, but then neither were those guys!
    Sad thing is, I can remember that song like it was yesterday! (except in those days, it didn't sound that ridiculous).

BTW, going through all the You tube music, starting off with the stuff you guys posted, I found this lady who I'd never heard of before, (you guys probably have) - she's originally Georgian (now British) and would you believe it, is married to James Toseland who was World Superbike champion and also a musician!
    She's a fantastic singer! - a nice lady!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Melua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaB714pidL8
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I bet that would be a bouncy ride.
    The book "Farenheit 451" featured a mechanical hound used by the fire department. In that world books were illegal, the fire department started fires to burn books and the hound was to kill the book hoarders.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information