Page 144 of 213 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3183

Thread: Oddball engines and prototypes

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    Close. Your description is spot-on; only that rod was in the output shaft. Lotus even tried this system in Formula 1.
    There must be an English name for this type of gearbox but I don't know it. Do you?
    Dutch: trekspiebak
    German: Ziehkeilgetriebe
    Italian: cambio a crociera scorrevole
    Which also demonstrates which is the most economical language . Admitted: Italian is the best-sounding of these three.
    Below the 9-speed Jamathi box of 1964 and the Bultaco box of 1977 when it had been mandatorily reduced to six speeds.
    Either the DKW or the Zundap or Sach 125 had a odd selector set up, i have never seen one in person something with sliding balls as detents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Hodaka did a system with balls that engaged the gears instead of a T-shaft. My Maico 125 and I think the Sachs/DKW/Hercules/Zundapp used the T-shaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hodakatransassy75dpi.gif 
Views:	43 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	335713

Name:	hodakamagcoverassy75dpi.gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	335714

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yes, "rod & pawl" sounds right - I really never thought about a name for it, but I did like the principle.

As Grumph says, torque experienced by the relatively flimsy shaft could be an issue, that's why I suggested the input shaft as it rotated at a higher speed and I guess less torque?

As for the Honda seamless box, brilliant, but definitely only for racing (expense and complication) and I'm sure it requires regular attention by relatively experienced mechanics.( I seem to remember Jonathan Rea having problems with his Kawasaki Superbike box but not sure if they use this type of box in Superbikes though - Honda and Yamaha never seem to have any problems in Moto GP though.
    Frits there's enough stuff in your post to keep my old feeble mind active for some time! Earlier in my life I would have sat and studied it till I had it completely figured - harder these days!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Some great machines, but I think that the sound of the Megola is fantastic, seen many pictures of it before but had never heard it.
    Yeah that 1st footage I'd seen of one running and would have to class it well inside the top 6 for sound shame the sound quality catches so much wind noise though
    There's a couple of videos on youtube about it and one clip with an assortment of Radial engine motorcycles (including a Verdel) where the poster has been ridiculed in the comments section for calling it a radial engine

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Thanks - that's a cycle pacing machine. I've got a pic here somewhere of the biggest parallel twin you've ever seen driving via a flat belt about 100mm wide.
    That's also a pacer.
    Apparently it's a replica of the 2nd generation bike that set a speed record at Brooklands with W.E.Cook riding it.....90mph in 1909

theoldmotor.com

Though in amongst the follow up clips on youtube there was footage of chain drive race cars heading to Goodwood festival and this beast of a thing.....the 1911 Fiat S76 (the Beast of Turin) speed record holder.....I reckon it's bloody brilliant!!! the commentary on the clip & footage are magic.......pulling maybe 400rpm in 4th gear passing cars on the motorway throwing flames

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Yeah that 1st footage I'd seen of one running and would have to class it well inside the top 6 for sound shame the sound quality catches so much wind noise though
    There's a couple of videos on youtube about it and one clip with an assortment of Radial engine motorcycles (including a Verdel) where the poster has been ridiculed in the comments section for calling it a radial engine

Apparently it's a replica of the 2nd generation bike that set a speed record at Brooklands with W.E.Cook riding it.....90mph in 1909

theoldmotor.com

Though in amongst the follow up clips on youtube there was footage of chain drive race cars heading to Goodwood festival and this beast of a thing.....the 1911 Fiat S76 (the Beast of Turin) speed record holder.....I reckon it's bloody brilliant!!! the commentary on the clip & footage are magic.......pulling maybe 400rpm in 4th gear passing cars on the motorway throwing flames
    F*******CK!!!!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    F*******CK!!!!
    Could roll up beside things at intersections and roast them

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Could roll up beside things at intersections and roast them
    I met the Lycoming Special on Blenheim Road in '61 when they were coming back to town after a wet Wigram practise.
    Straight pipes and no guards, chuffing along at about 400rpm throwing up fountains of water.
    A large beach umbrella pulled down over the cockpit with several pairs of eyes peering out...

We have our own versions of that Fiat, LOL...

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Hodaka did a system with balls that engaged the gears instead of a T-shaft. My Maico 125 and I think the Sachs/DKW/Hercules/Zundapp used the T-shaft.
    cheers,
    Michael
    Michael, I seem to remember encountering the sliding shaft and ball system - I have a feeling it might have been in a three speed box on a 50cc Italian Itom, but that was when I was in my mid teens, so going back a bit!
    It would have produced a slightly stronger shaft but hardening quality etc would need to be spot on if you wanted it to hold well and last!

BTW, this is the latest trend in bicycle gearing (familiar looking?) - a great breakthrough!

Name:	Effigear-belt-drive-gearbox-bike-14-600x400.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	335720
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I met the Lycoming Special on Blenheim Road in '61...........We have our own versions of that Fiat, LOL...
    I don't know a lot about the Lycoming special, - any more stuff on it would be welcome.
    But ..... what I do know is that the Lycoming engine was slightly more civilised than the FIAT!

I enjoyed the bit about driving into a petrol station spitting flames out the sides!

BTW. I think the Megola engine should be called a "Radial Rotary".
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    I met the Lycoming Special on Blenheim Road in '61 when they were coming back to town after a wet Wigram practise.
    Straight pipes and no guards, chuffing along at about 400rpm throwing up fountains of water.
    A large beach umbrella pulled down over the cockpit with several pairs of eyes peering out...

We have our own versions of that Fiat, LOL...
    I remember the old man talking about the Lycoming and a bit of an urban legend about it being introduced to the Summit Rd on one of it's visits to ChCh

It's a sophisticated tame little toddler by comparison to the Fiat that was a 28lt 4cyl beast.... one shot on it's 1st fire-up looking straight into the exhaust ports looked like peering into the throats of two blast furnaces

I don't know a lot about the Lycoming special, - any more stuff on it would be welcome.
    But ..... what I do know is that the Lycoming engine was slightly more civilised than the FIAT!

I enjoyed the bit about driving into a petrol station spitting flames out the sides!

Name:	Fiat-S.76-60483.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	335722

BTW. I think the Megola engine should be called a "Radial Rotary".
    Same debate is aired with these two motors.....there's reference to Orbital Radial

1906 Adams Farwell 8lt 5cyl

This is a experimental 3cyl 2stroke

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Name:	00961592.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	335743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	itom-astor.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	335744

We used to play around with these little 50cc Italian Itoms, and I think three were even entered in IOM TT the first year the 50cc racing came into being there in the early sixties. (one being ridden by a young lady called Beryl Swain) - the hopefuls thought that they would be competitive, but Honda and Suzuki machines totally blew them away! - I'm sure though that it was good fun.
    I actually had three of them and I guess they could do about 50 (MPH) in standard trim. One of them I tried racing ( rare early model with leading link forks as in the picture). I got mine up to about 68 mph with a bit of fiddling around - it had a short megaphone exhaust and it was LOUD and I don't know if anyone remembers the old (aluminium) Harpic tins with a small outlet at the top - I cut the bottom out and attached it to the end of the megaphone to quieten it down, (which it did massively) but it also made it a lot quicker! - can't prove that of course but it certainly flew!
    The other two with the teleforks I left as standard and had a lot of fun with them.

The leading link fork model always confused the scrutineers when they tried the front brake by pushing it forward with the brake hard on and the front end rose up!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    This is the pic I was referring to when I thought the JAP was a cycle pacer.
    Note the bars - they're ridden effectively standing up with your arms down at your side to present the largest area - to give the most effective slipstream.

I like the riders right boot in the pic. A necessity I'd think to avoid injury from the belt...

Sorry bout the flash on the pic - can't turn the damm thing off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pacer.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	335808  

Bike
    husaberg
    This is the pic I was referring to when I thought the JAP was a cycle pacer.
    Note the bars - they're ridden effectively standing up with your arms down at your side to present the largest area - to give the most effective slipstream.

I like the riders right boot in the pic. A necessity I'd think to avoid injury from the belt...

I remember there was an old story in one of the pommy old bike rags that used to have lots of the old vintage stuff that had a write up with lots mainly continental pacer bikes. They all massive engined beasts, lots of froggy stuff i don't have a hope of ever spelling.
    I was going to call in and see you today Greg but forgot to bring your number.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Various things
    Need to shoot in manual mode.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Need to shoot in manual mode.
    All good things take time Pete
    Only last year he wasnt able to post photos
    The old dog is learning all the new tricks.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information