Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A non-Kiwi joined! And I might need some advice (PaulV)

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Points of interest I'd suggest:

Coromandel peninsula. Plenty of white sand beaches and picturesque views. There is a beach called hot water beach, you should aim to visit on a day where low tide is in the afternoon.

Forgotten worlds highway from Taumarunui to new Plymouth, great fun motorbike road and scenery that NZ is famous for.

Rotorua is a great place to blow a bit of money, luge riding, zorbing, sky swings and geothermal hotpools/mudbaths etc.

Lake Taupo is a nice tourist destination, go to De Brets hot pools.

The south island has a lot more amazing scenery, tourist destinations and fun roads for motorbikes.

Personally I'd aim to spend at least 2 weeks in the south island. Do a loop of the south island, off the ferry go through nelson down the west coast, look at the glaciers etc. Then across to Queenstown, Christchurch and up the east coast through kaikoura. South islanders would be able to give you a better idea of where to go and what to see.

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    Always good to get the real interesting ones which aren't likely to pop up from the standard tourist guides

Might make a schedule later this weekend.

Bike
    ---
    hello & welcome .. lots of little off the beaten paths you can explore .. just keep your senses about you mate and take on the advice of the old hands .. people not from here think it's safe as fluffy ducks strolling across the meadows .. while it's a stunning and beautiful country with lot's of awesome friendly people .. we'v got our darkside .. especially keep clear of a great big building that resembles a beehive .. keep ya wits about ya, keep safe and enjoy your holiday.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    weather changeable in NZ esp in the south,can (and will) rain at any time of year.We are not patient drivers. A 250 will be ok but NZ is also hilly and can have strong winds.

Bike
    Enjoy the trip! Give us a yell if you're thirsty for a beer when you come through Picton.

South Island is way better than the norf btw

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    Again thanks for all the responses !!

I'll be on my toes, especially when bee's start building towers (That sounds like a good moment to turn and burn)
    And in the Netherlands we have 10 months of autumn so I'll be packing everything water tight

Hills and power ratio is one of my new concerns, would 250cc get me up most hills ? I'm not planning on driving fast but I wouldn't mind any forward motion when planning to go up.

And Picton is the lovely place were the ferry arrives on the souther Island right, if that's the case I might just meet you there.

I've worked on a little planning up to the point of returning to the northern island and 10 days left :

Don't mind the numbers by the way, the red circles are some stops and in this planning I will be staying up to 3 days in some of the bigger cities.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    How are you going with finding a bike....?
    I live in new plymouth, let me know if you need a hand with something, or want to stop by to fix bike, have a coppa or need a place to stay for the night....
    I am a clog , so should be able to scrape up some rusty Dutch....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    Haven't found one yet but am searching, TradeMe is yet to sent me an activation mail so I can contact some sellers.
    If you heard anything about a 250cc oldie i'm all ears

Sounds great, would be nice to meet a clog halfway around the world

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
    Haven't found one yet but am searching, TradeMe is yet to sent me an activation mail so I can contact some sellers.
    If you heard anything about a 250cc oldie i'm all ears
    Paul that xelvis you had a link earlier i had one for a few years. I tripped all over the country on it, comfy, decent fuel range, could carry everything i needed including me at 100kg. It handled most aspects of touring and highway work well.

I've had many of the little Honda VTR 250's Over the years, good reliable little bikes. Where i found these little 250's struggle is overtaking and head winds on the highway, thats it really, reliable as.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    Oh well, I'm planning on a daily 400 Km max. therefore speed is not really a concern

Found this beauty :
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-813241093.htm

Should I have problems concerning insurances ?

Bike
    Cracked brake rotor....needs new forkseals.....
    87 for $3000.......?
    you sure about that one?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    You can see that from the pictures, or am I missing out on a big chunk of text?

Anyway impressive and thanks for the heads up.

Bike
    Cant copy and paste with this android thingy....
    did you see on trade me yamaha concrete xt600e 1990 in tauranga ?
    with new wof and registration, 25.000 km and sounds like in perfect condition.
    great for NZ travel. Asking $2500.....
    looks a bit different........

or what about honda cbx650 1984 In north shore with wof and reg, little fairing, lugage rack, shaft drive .
    buy now $2000, so you probabky could get it for less.....

insurance? Just get 3rd party....

There are a few other cheapies on trade me, but you want wof and registration......

Bike
    1992, Suzuki VX800
    That sounds more than interesting, can't find it though

Will keep on searching, but shaft drive is a big plus!

EDIT :

Found it ! Now jus waiting for trademe to sent an activation mail to one of my three acounts...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-818605674.htm

EDIT :
    Trademe kinda doesn't like people abroad, got an email about it and found this thread
    http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/sh...n-IP-addresses

Bike
    So old you won't care

Thread Information