Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DR350 thread

Bike
    CB1300

DR350 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    You get one? I have a spare here you can borrow if need be.
    Thank you so much for the offer. Honestly I you lived closer I'd drive over take you up on that and return whichever was not used as a test ride. Pretty sure my wife and my boss would be pissed at me making two trips to the south.

After market one was ordered. Should have arrived yesterday. Sadly it did not.

Hopefully tonight I can swing spanners furiously into the night and proclaim in my best Dr Frankenstein voice "it's alive!"

Getting up at 5:40 so I can make a 7:40 train to a 9-6 job an get home at 8:30 after a similar return journey sucks.
    I like catching the train, just not dragging the kids out of be at 6am so my wife can drop me at a train.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300

DR350 thread

So, new screen is awesome on road. The kick out of seeing moths flying towards me, smashing into it and getting deflected off to the side instead of hitting me in the face will NEVER get old.

Off road it though it is a pain during twilight and steep uphills. Will keep an eye out for one with no tint I think.
    Do you lie down behind it or something like?
    If you keep an eye for something else ones with a kicker a the top deflect a lot higher. Okay a street bike but my old GSX1100 had one that meant the bulk of the airflow at 70 plus went over my head. I'm 6'4".

If glare is the issue frosted dura seal works well. Or window frosting if that is cheaper.
    I'm thinking of vinyling the one on the CB1300 to cut the glare at sundown. So low I can't see through it anyway but the glare from the sun at sundown / sunrise or from the headlight in the dark is atrocious.

Bike
    All good. Here if you need it man. Just as well you haven't sold the DR yet eh!

Nah just the slight smoke tint made it hard to see the deep ruts hidden in the tall grass, especially as twilight hit where it's not dark enough for the headlights to make a difference yet. Just about got thrown off getting cross axled and losing forward momentum, quickly, in one set of washed out ruts. Haven't had that happen before

Standing up and leaning forward I was getting close to sconing my head on it, so not crouching behind it haha

It deflects above my helmet which is perfect, for my peaked one. I can even check my blind spots in that helmet without the wind trying to snap my neck now.

I can live with it for while though.

Bike
    CB1300
    Lol, if I stand on the pegs I am in greater danger of banging my dates than scone on the dash. I don't even need to stand up to look down "through the axle line", just assume the attack position while remaining seated.

Mind you my left foot is flat on the ground on the left hand side when kick starting it too!

Bike
    CB1300
    Yes. Unfortunately. I had been trying to keep her until sunnier days shone on my bank account. But given my sudden need to spend over a grand I don't have on a broken down Honda the Suzuki will have to go when the Honda gets running right again.

Bike
    CB1300
    It is alive!
    Actually it was at 11 but busy times.
    Running a bit rough carb treatment tomorrow and a thrash down the motorway should solve that. Considering it was only started one other time in the last year she started with only minimal encouragement. Tail light had died since I started her to test your CDI. Luckily spare bulb was sitting in the truck.

Crikey I had forgotten how Loutish a bike these can be.
    Terribly uncivilised after a year of only really riding the CB.
    I like it.

Bike

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Been having problems with my 98 350. It's been intermittently hard to start and at one stage was running rough/cutting out and backfiring. Then it stopped all together in the drive and wouldn't start at all. I found the low speed sensor coil was shot and got another one, but that hasn't totally cured my problem. I've been having it looked by a pro and he has found the main sensor coil that's part of the windings is not the right resistance value and it doesn't put out the correct voltage and the voltage is also low at the primary side of the main ignition coil. It looks like the faulty sensor coil has already been rewound. I may be able to get it rewound but what I really need is another complete stator assembly so I can get it running and make sure that it runs ok and I don't have a further problem, like the CDI.

Anyone have one they willing to part with.

Cheers Phil

Bike
    Missed one by a week. Just sold a complete 98 . I'll point the new owner in your direction in case he's keen to split some stuff though Ideally he can just send you one to test everything if he doesn't want to sell.

No idea of the cause but I went through 2 stators in 2 years on my 99.

Nice of it to die in your driveway though. Mine apparently didn't like me that much

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Missed one by a week. Just sold a complete 98 . I'll point the new owner in your direction in case he's keen to split some stuff though Ideally he can just send you one to test everything if he doesn't want to sell.

No idea of the cause but I went through 2 stators in 2 years on my 99.

Nice of it to die in your driveway though. Mine apparently didn't like me that much
    Thanks Tazz, When I got this 350 I thought it would be a great little bike to use for a while to see how much of the little bike riding we ended up doing, but so far its just been a PITA.
    You would wonder why you would go through 2 in 2 years. Did you replace the first one with a second hand unit or get it rewound.
    The later ones seem different to the earlier ones in that the early ones only use a single pulse coil and a different CDI

Bike
    CB1300
    Mrcycles.com sorted me out for a 2 pulse one. Just make double sure he is clear you want a kick start only one. If he supplies you one without checking it will be for a electric one because the kick only was never sold in the us.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Mrcycles.com sorted me out for a 2 pulse one. Just make double sure he is clear you want a kick start only one. If he supplies you one without checking it will be for a electric one because the kick only was never sold in the us.

Sent via tapatalk.
    Was yours a dirt only non registerable one . Mine is road legal and I thought it was the same as the E start ones. It has windings on all of the bobbins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	592.3 KB 
ID:	321042  

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    Was yours a dirt only non registerable one . Mine is road legal and I thought it was the same as the E start ones. It has windings on all of the bobbins.
    No, road registered.
    I didn't see the original out of the cases but the part that arrived was certainly wound on all bobbins.
    Mechanic said it's just wired different at the output.

From memory he had to change the exterior loom because they had different molex connectors.

Sent via tapatalk.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    Thanks Tazz, When I got this 350 I thought it would be a great little bike to use for a while to see how much of the little bike riding we ended up doing, but so far its just been a PITA.
    You would wonder why you would go through 2 in 2 years. Did you replace the first one with a second hand unit or get it rewound.
    The later ones seem different to the earlier ones in that the early ones only use a single pulse coil and a different CDI
    Earlier years don't have all the windings (ref to your other post).

My 98 was slightly different to my 99 one, but I can't remember in what respect.

I got 2 cheapish new replacements from our Chinese cousins Under $200ea. Wanted to get my original rewound 2nd time around but it was pushing $400, which was 2 cheapies (one spare) and a new regulator (which I figured was/might be the issue). Financially that made more sense.
    I didn't have it long enough after that to know if that was the problem or not.

You can just buy the little pick-ups separately as well. $12us each or so. I got some of those too with the stators but I don't know where I put them sorry. I'll have a quick squiz tomorrow before I leave for you.

Bike
    1999, Suzuki, DR350
    First time I noticed a DR350 thread in NZ...recognize some names from ADV rider hehe
    rmstator dot com had $99 stators in 2011?
    billedwards@xtra.co.nz fixed my non-sparking stator in 2011. He was in Papamoa Beach. Has run fine ever since .
    I was also told of someone in AKL who rewinds, maybe $200, like new. Can locate if anyone wants him.

I have a Firebird? screen on one of mine, could sit behind it all day. It's on street tires so I haven't tried standing etc. I replaced the seat foam with stuff from a GSX600 which is wider, re-covered it.
    One in normal mode for gravel and one on knobblies for trail rides. '99 kickstarters.

And then I saw a WR360 Husky looking lonely at 1000 so 1001 won it. And then I was watching Huskies and bought a TE450, 2004 regd on hold. no more kickstarters ?

Dave, Whangarei

Thread Information