Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamilton - Wellington trip questions

Bike
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post
    Will be passing through Otaki at 5pm at the earliest, I don't have to be in Wellington until 1am so a bit of traffic isn't a problem
    sweet .. plenty of time to get into town

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!

Thumbs up

A brief trip report -

Flew up to Hamilton around 0830hrs yesterday, picked up some snacks and electrolyte drinks when I filled up at the servo, ratchet tie-downs and a Multi-tool from Repco (Just in case roadside maint was necessary) and started my 860km trip home with my latest mechanical family member, a 1994 FZR600R - here's a few things that I learned/noticed:

NI Riders get their wave on more often than not, at least 9/10 riders either waved or nodded when we met along the way - compared to my SI leg which was lucky to even get a 50% wave rate!

The NI weather yesterday was a mixed bag, from pouring rain through the twisties on the desert road which wasn't fun when I'm on a bike that I've never ridden, on a road I don't know, to wind that had me on a solid lean just to go straight, it was a real four seasons trip finished off with 337km of sunshine for my ride from Picton to ChCh.

A lesson learned the hard way - I found out that the clear lens on my helmet is polarized to a different direction to my sunglasses when I put them on in Hamilton and the world turned into a ocean of rainbows and silver so I had to do the trip without them, luckily glare and sun-strike never became a issue.

Right now my body is expressing its disdain about riding a Sportsbike 860km in 24hrs, probably not helped by the fact that I haven't ridden more than 20k's in the last five years while I've been restoring my YZF750R.
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Is it a honda ?
    Honda rider wouldn't be worried about walking funny.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Glad you got home safely. Great way to get to know your bike.

For next time! If going down the centre of the country, I usually turn off SH1 at Tokoroa onto Maraetai Rd and take Whakamaru Rd (SH32) down through the forest to Whakamaru, then from Whakamaru south through Tihoi (stop for a bite) and down the Western Access to Turangi. That way you skip Taupo and a bit of the SH1 traffic.

There are earlier turn offs further north at Putururu and Litchfield, but it's easier to run down to Tokoroa on SH1 before turning off.

Thread Information