Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton - Wellington trip questions

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!

eek Hamilton - Wellington trip questions

Just after a bit of information from the North Island contingent - I'm riding from Hamilton to Wellington in about five weeks time, and have never traveled the route before so I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers for the journey, ie are there any sections where a experienced but uninformed rider could have issues?

Will be daylight hours and a 600cc Sportsbike so no issues with hills but I may be walking funny afterwards...
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Depends on whether there is a time and distance issue.

When time is an issue the fastest and best way (in my opinion) is through Otorahanga, Taumarunui, national park, Ohakune to Waiouru and then straight down HW1

Scenic way go via New Plymouth coastal or Forgotten Highway (only issue would be here re lots of windies and an unsealed stretch (about 10-15km) in the middle oh and a dark wee tnnel that takes you by surprise) to Straford or dont turn off to Ohakune and head through the para's to Whanganui.

What ya doing in Hams????

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Some Alternatives:
    Hamilton-Taupo-Napier-SH50-Masterton-Wellington. Much less traffic. Some reasonable roads interspersed with straight bits with excellent scenery (and very little traffic) and only about 20 minutes longer than the route above.

Hamilton-Taupo-Taihape-Vinegar Hill-Palmerston-Pahiatua Track-Wellington. Boring bits with lots of traffic interspersed with mental twisties with relatively little traffic. Same sort of time and distance as the first one.

Hamilton-Taupo-Taihape-Hunterville-Fordell Rd then back to Bulls and drone down HW1 via the Kapiti Coast

Depends on whether or not you are in transport mode or have a look and have some fun mode.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Te awamutu ( add 30-40mins starting from Tron ) Oto - Taumarunui - National park - parapara's - Bulls - Wellywood 4 1/2 to 5 1/2hrs take some $$$ stop @ Mapiu café (@ 1/2 way to Taumarunui ) great coffee & home made pies/sweets gas up in Raetihi & enjoy the parapara's you WONT be disappoint BUT keep your wits about you from Fields track access as patrol this far up from Whanganui
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post

Will be daylight hours and a 600cc Sportsbike so no issues with hills but I may be walking funny afterwards...

Is it a honda ?

Bike
    SH4 hands down. SH1 is boring as shit, heaps of cops too which usually doesn't bother me but with all this 1km over BS....

Nothing outrageous about either route as far hazards go, just watch for slips towards the south on SH4 if there has been a massive dump of rain just before you go.

Haven't done around the Napier way but if time isn't an issue go for it, or fang down through the naki?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Is it a honda ?
    Yamaha actually, was almost a Honda...

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    What ya doing in Hams????
    Picking up the bike, was going to use Biketranz but my Christmas holiday plans made that option impossible.

I'm on a reasonably tight schedule so am after the shortest, least complex route so SH1 is my intended route.
    ---Cut Here---
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    I'm on a reasonably tight schedule so am after the shortest, least complex route so SH1 is my intended route.
    SH4 is 6km shorter and only take a minute longer than SH1 according to Google maps. And that way you get to ride the Paraparas.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    SH4 is 6km shorter and only take a minute longer than SH1 according to Google maps. And that way you get to ride the Paraparas.
    Less traffic too.

I'm always pressed for time when I head up to see family in the tron and treat SH1 like the plague now. You just need to plan your fuel stops if you're going in the middle of the night.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Yep SH4 or SH5/2 is usually slightly quicker on a bike than SH1 due to less traffic.

SH5/2 avoids the Kapiti to Wellington shitfight.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I live in Kapiti and would agree with JamesDeuce's proposed SH5/2 route, cant really go wrong with it. The boring bits give you a breather between the more demanding bits.

If you must come down by a faster route do try and take in the Paraparas, really nice ride.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I live in Kapiti and would agree with JamesDeuce's proposed SH5/2 route, cant really go wrong with it. The boring bits give you a breather between the more demanding bits.

If you must come down by a faster route do try and take in the Paraparas, really nice ride.
    Lots of 24hr gas stations too by the looks. Will give it a nudge next trip depending what stead I'm on.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    so SH1 is my intended route.
    Dont do it!!

National park way at least if time is an issue SH1 Hams to Waiouru horrible boring road with travel jams and Desert roads sometimes slow and crawling with coppas

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    ---
    If you can ... avoid coming into Otaki on Sunday afternoons anywhere around the 2pm to 4pm timeframes ... traffic can back up quite quickly with those heading into/back to Wellington on standard weekends .. have yet to see how it will all fare through the christmas period. Safe travelling.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by amberzfire View Post
    If you can ... avoid coming into Otaki on Sunday afternoons anywhere around the 2pm to 4pm timeframes ... traffic can back up quite quickly with those heading into/back to Wellington on standard weekends .. have yet to see how it will all fare through the christmas period. Safe travelling.
    Will be passing through Otaki at 5pm at the earliest, I don't have to be in Wellington until 1am so a bit of traffic isn't a problem
    ---Cut Here---
    EXUP Brotherhood

Thread Information