Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPG vs natural gas supply to house

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

LPG vs natural gas supply to house

Anyone have or had a house which was previously on natural (piped) gas supply converted to bottled LPG? We only have two gas appliances, an infinity water heater and a stove top (oven is still electric). Electricity supplier is suggesting we could save by converting back to electric, but there is the cost of a new oven (at least $5k for an equivalent to what we have now) and finding somewhere in the house for a hot water cylinder so thats not going to happen

Gas bill is around 45 - 50 per month, most of which is the connection charge. I understand there is a conversion required, both an LPG burner for the Infinity, and jets for the stove top and of course the pipework changes between where the exisiting gas meter connects to the house and where the LPG bottles would be located, but other than that, what is the downside? 2 x45Kg LPG bottles could keep us going for quite a while.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    We had a house disconnected from the mains and converted to LPG (no gas to site) a few years ago. Gas hob and water heater. 5 showering each day or two and cooking every night. $140 per bottle using a bottle every 5 to 6 weeks. From memory, slightly more expensive than mains, even without the daily charge, but not so much that the financial controller is constantly seeking a better deal. The conversion was pretty straight forwards (relatively old infinity). Not recommended for central heating purposes being about the only real downside that I found at the time. Can't remember the cost of installation, but wasn't a bank breaker. Have fun dear.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    sounds good, thanks
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I changed houses over a year ago. The Last one was Rural and had Infinity hot water and gas Hobs.
    We used a big Cyl ever 3 months with basically just the two of us.
    New house is full Electric.

But have a mate who lives alone .He had the gas disconnected , (heating was updated to heat pumps.)
    He also has gas hobs but uses a small gas cyl under the bench ???? (don't know how legal that is ?

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Anyone have or had a house which was previously on natural (piped) gas supply converted to bottled LPG? We only have two gas appliances, an infinity water heater and a stove top (oven is still electric). Electricity supplier is suggesting we could save by converting back to electric, but there is the cost of a new oven (at least $5k for an equivalent to what we have now) and finding somewhere in the house for a hot water cylinder so thats not going to happen

Gas bill is around 45 - 50 per month, most of which is the connection charge. I understand there is a conversion required, both an LPG burner for the Infinity, and jets for the stove top and of course the pipework changes between where the exisiting gas meter connects to the house and where the LPG bottles would be located, but other than that, what is the downside? 2 x45Kg LPG bottles could keep us going for quite a while.
    make sure your mains could handle an electric stove, there are a few houses around on gas that simply dont have mains capacity, if you can fit two gas bottles outside there's a good chance you can fit a hot water cylinder too

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I changed houses over a year ago. The Last one was Rural and had Infinity hot water and gas Hobs.
    We used a big Cyl ever 3 months with basically just the two of us.
    New house is full Electric.

But have a mate who lives alone .He had the gas disconnected , (heating was updated to heat pumps.)
    He also has gas hobs but uses a small gas cyl under the bench ???? (don't know how legal that is ?
    I also have a rural friend who has the same arrangement witha 9kg cylinder. Should be legal enough, you can have portable gas heaters with bottle used in the house. OTOH he is not going to ask anyone in authority about it, either. likewise the somewhat dodgy three phase supply to the sheds. Typical electrician
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    I also have a rural friend who has the same arrangement witha 9kg cylinder. Should be legal enough, you can have portable gas heaters with bottle used in the house. OTOH he is not going to ask anyone in authority about it, either. likewise the somewhat dodgy three phase supply to the sheds. Typical electrician
    A guy i worked with was refused a code of compliance with a gas cylinder under the bench. Something about it having to be outside, each area might have different rules , Also this was 10 years ago though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Stay on gas as long as you can. Electricity prices in this country are only going to keep going up as demand (population) increases and infrastructure ages.
    Also increasing risk of blackouts to network.
    If your going to stay in same property long term a heatpump hot water cylinder can be put outside house but is higher initial cost.

If your retired or semi retired and daytime user id disconnect the electric grid and go solar/battery bank and keep the gas. Electric line charges are shocking
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Already got solar (12 panels, 6.25KwH battery), grid tied. (daily supply charge sucks with electricity, too), 2 heat pumps and a wood burner The gas is only or water heating and cooktop. The currently unoccupied self contained flat out the back also has its own heat pump and an LPG infinity using a barbeque size bottle.

I am retired and this is the house I'm going to be carried out of
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    make sure your mains could handle an electric stove, there are a few houses around on gas that simply dont have mains capacity, if you can fit two gas bottles outside there's a good chance you can fit a hot water cylinder too
    House (1950s) was originally all electric, gas connected about 20 years ago when it was cheap, I'd thought of having the two gas cylinders out the front of the hose under the carport, next to the solar battery/controller cabinet. All the hot water connections (kitchen/bathroom/laundry) are around the back of the house. /Could put a heat pump HWC out there but they are expensive
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    House (1950s) was originally all electric, gas connected about 20 years ago when it was cheap, I'd thought of having the two gas cylinders out the front of the hose under the carport, next to the solar battery/controller cabinet. All the hot water connections (kitchen/bathroom/laundry) are around the back of the house. /Could put a heat pump HWC out there but they are expensive
    there's several outdoor hw tanks on the market these days

Bike
    Street Triple R
    a gas cylinder under the bench did meet the regs when we did ours in about 2003. The regs subsequently changed (round 2006 I think). reason for the change is that if the cylinder leaks the gas is heavier than air and it might get trapped in a cupboard or whatever and ignited by a spark. So, now you have to have even a small gas cylinder outside and it has to have certain distances and clearances from windows etc. We've kept our underbench and upgraded literally every other appliance in the kitchen but I like to cook with gas so as long as it goes, it stays put. The underbench is only a 4.5kg bottle but it lasts us (two person household) 6 to 8 weeks.

Heres install info: https://media.genesisenergy.co.nz/ge...st-genesis.pdf

Oh, and you must have <100kg in one install for domestic otherwise you are commercial - from memory it becomes a specified system and you need a BWOF or BWOF equivalent. That could have changed - its been a long time since I had to look it up. Any gasfitters in da house?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there's several outdoor hw tanks on the market these days
    My neighbours got one. I'd totally get one when replacing the one we have.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    My neighbours got one. I'd totally get one when replacing the one we have.
    we swapped our nearly 60 year tank recently in the same spot, pain not having a warm hot water cupboard now, especially for the cats, they enjoyed the free heat

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

It may depend where your gas supply enters the house, as the cylinders should be close to that. I doubt you'd save much though, as it will probably cost more than you'd expect to do the conversion.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information