Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Courts problem

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by terbang
    Str8 jacket I am not really busting my gut over a $90 dollar fine in fact I normally don't give it very much thought and at around $5 per year I will have no problem eventually paying it. Though by the sound of your post I am left with the impression that there are some veins bulging on you neck over a $90 fine from 18 years ago. When you do catch me how do you want it Cheque, Visa or Cash..?
    Hey dude, im NOT a fines collector I WAS one and I had to deal with idiots all the time.... Pay it how you want, or don't. I really dont give a flying fu*k mate, but just think before you start spouting stuff of when you don't have all the facts.
    The courts are like Baycorp, the issuing authority passes the imposition to the courts and the courts have no choice but to collect it unless the issuing authority withdraws it. If you clocked up a huge debt with a finance company by not paying it and they passed it onto Baycorp you would know without argument that you had to pay it or lose your credit rating... just so you could understand.
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    Believe me, piss an officer of the court of and they'll get you.
    Believe me, piss an officer of the court off over a $27 parking fine from 1987 and not too many really care a damn.

Baycorp is a business, and is still in business, and doesn't spend 18 years and much taxpayer dollars in excess of the fine, taking up Court, Police and Border rescoursces over $27.

Bike
    Goose
    oh *sigh* you still going on...

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    OK you got a point there Jacket I do go on a bit, like yer bike..

Bike
    Goose
    lol! I give up, some people are just always gonna be idiots!

Bike
    ZXR 250A
    Well I paid my fine up today + court costs just to get it over with. Wankers.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    $90 they will chase you to the end of the earth. Wait until it is $30,000 and then they will write it of fand you are away scot free
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    XR200
    Haven't been into this sub-forum before but there is clearly some fun to be had.

Ramius and St8 Jacket are correct and have given good advice.

What is being overlooked is that traffic fines are a Summary offence. That means they are dealt with summarily. The law permits an officer to issue an instant fine - pay it if you want to. Payment is a guilty plea.

If you do nothing, the District Court sends you an infringement notice by post. You then must advise the Court that you want to plead not guilty at a hearing. They set a hearing usually presided over by Justices of the Peace.

The infringement process is not a summons. A summons has to be personally served on you.

If you don't turn up for the hearing, then the only evidence is what the prosecution (Police, local council parking, dog control, fish and game etc etc) present to the Court. Or if you ignore the infringement notice - same thing. Inevitably a conviction is entered followed by a fine and court costs.

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Yep thats written all over the back of the ticket an all.
    Your point being?
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Your point being?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    lol! I give up, some people are just always gonna be idiots!
    Yep like you say real good advice
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by terbang
    Your point being?

Yep like you say real good advice

lol, yeah....

Bike
    XR200
    My point being that various people will read this thread and perhaps they will understand the summary procedure system better. Hey - we're here to help each other.

Bike
    Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehyslop
    A few months ago I got a minor speeding fine (in a cage). Because I wanted to go for CBTA I requested to the police that my case be heard in court. This was to try to keep the points off my licence until I did my cbta. Anyway the police said that they would transfer the case to the courts and that they were out of the loop so to speak. Two months later I got a letter from the courts saying that they had heard the case had been heard in my absence and here was my fine plus court costs etc etc. I never received a summons to the hearing.

Does anyone have any idea what I do from here. I rang the number on the notice but typically got the collections department who couldn't help me.
    If you want to go down the road of defending your actions by all means go for it. There is an importan princple at stake here. Your right to defend yourself. The Police by not notifying you of your date in court needs to be investigated as to why this did not happen. That's your first line of defence. Write to the Police Commissoner asking this question giveing all relevent details. Send a copy of this letter to your Local MP with CC etc.

In short the Police have fucked up and your rights have been violated. That's a strong word but untill you have been given a reason as to why the Police or the Justice Department did not notify you then at this point you have no evidence to the contrary. This you can win but don't get personal, keep the letter breif, and no need to go in great detail about the offence. Make a lot of noise if neccessary.

Skyryder

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    none for now
    Actually I sent a letter to police commisioner and minister of justice and the local electorate MP. I didn't ask them to do anything about it but just made a complaint about the way things were handled.

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by slopster
    Actually I sent a letter to police commisioner and minister of justice and the local electorate MP. I didn't ask them to do anything about it but just made a complaint about the way things were handled.

hehe ive just a few beers. Im LMAO right now, would you like your own cheer leading team??

Thread Information