Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff article about road safety

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    I bet they classed the woman dying on the motorway at 6am after hitting a light post as speed related.... Empty motorway, straight section with barely a bend in the road, at that hour I bet there were barely any other cars. The crash was entirely alcohol related, regardless of speed, if you manage to crash there, at a speed below 240km/h it is not speed related.

I went through the same section of road a few months back, within 40km/h of the speed limit at near rush hour and didn't crash.

A common sense look at each crash will see, speed wasn't a factor in 99% of crashes they claim it to be. They just happened to be slightly over the limit when they fucked up, misjudged or fell asleep at the wheel.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Just watched news.

Of 17 deaths they believe 11 were the result of alcohol/speed
    Wasn't Clive Matthew-Wilson the one said cheaper fuel prices were to blame?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    It was reported that there were a lot of dangerous group riders in the vicinity of one motorcycle fatal crash but it was not stated if the rider was part of the group. I have said it before and will say it again that I believe that the pressure to keep up with the leader which many riders feel, is the killer in group rides plus they follow too close to each other so usually more than one ends up going down. For those who do not believe group riding can be dangerous just drive/ride between ChCh and Akaroa at the weekend.
    So you can't keep up then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So you can't keep up then?
    While I'm sure that was meant, at least partly, in jest it does take confidence to say "ok, if you're going to ride at that speed [and I can't keep up], see ya later". I don't know if women riders feel the same (generalisation, generalisation) but a lot of guys seem to give the impression that keeping up with the faster riders is important in proving themselves to their peers. Hopefully there are just as many male riders who put safety ahead of matching others when they know their skills are not quite up to it.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    While I'm sure that was meant, at least partly, in jest it does take confidence to say "ok, if you're going to ride at that speed [and I can't keep up], see ya later". I don't know if women riders feel the same (generalisation, generalisation) but a lot of guys seem to give the impression that keeping up with the faster riders is important in proving themselves to their peers. Hopefully there are just as many male riders who put safety ahead of matching others when they know their skills are not quite up to it.
    Cassina is a female.
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I find riding after a group ride has through to be helpful. People both drivers and pedestrians are for a time more than usually aware of motorcycles; and the previous riders have usually attracted the attention of any +1km/hr blue-clad obsessive-compulsives. I feel no need to keep up with any other item than my own travel plans.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    In any large group it's likely that some riders will be excellently skilled, some mediocre and / or inexperienced, and the rest of us average. So why the need to suddenly try and foot it with the faster ones...? Also, the bike matters. My lightest bike is an '04 Sporty at 550 lb (dry weight), my heaviest a, '07 V8 bike is 1530 lb dry weight and closer to 1800 lb with gas, oil, luggage and me. No way am I going to enter a corner or ride a set of twisties at the same speed on different bikes even in the unlikely event everything else is equal (visibility, surface, etc).

Bike
    CB1300

Stuff article about road safety

That makes me a girl. I ride my own ride.

Doesn't worry me at all. It's not like being a woman is being a lesser person, just pissed none of you fuckers by my drinks at stops. Do I need to show more cleavage?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Mine
    Hopefully there are just as many male riders who put safety ahead of matching others when they know their skills are not quite up to it.
    I certainly do. This is a big part of why I mostly ride on my own or with my wife (I know she rides with the same attitude).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So riders who admit to not wanting to keep up in your book are girls? Better to keep up until death than be labelled a girl eh!!!
    No your icon used to say your female then it disappeared.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    I do not ride in a group and unlike you do not see risking death worth keeping up. In the news report I read it said guys trying to keep up in the group ride were seen riding the centre line of the road with cars coming the other way on the open road. Maybe you could explain why riding like that is worth the risk of death?
    My limited experience with group rides, ie: Westpac Chopper and one KB ride, showed two very different styles. The Westpac Chopper rides were well organised and run at a good pace on the Motorways. Everyone seemed to ride at their own pace with most keeping up. The KB ride was with a very diverse group of bikes and riders and basically a lot slower than I would have preferred. However the group was considerate of the less experienced riders and tried to make them feel comfortable and encouraged. The comaraderie was evident.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ride your own ride, its called being an adult.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I think the simple answer is those of us who prefer to ride our own ride, don't participate in group rides unless it is for a very special occasion such as a Toy Run. Maybe twice in 15 years I have been on a non-toy-run group ride and I was always looking out for what the others were doing and both times preferred to ride at the back of the pack. It is no coincidence that my assignment in both the club I joined while working in Asia, and the club I joined while working in America, I was assigned "Tailgunner". I always feel most comfortable there. Riding across country I much prefer to be solo. Both in New Zealand and elsewhere.

Bike
    A
    Yep, I do my own speed. Hardly ever ride as part of a sizeable group, past experiences have created a "not for me thanks" attitude to group riding. Much more fun to go with one or two guys whose riding I trust, than to partake in a group race, err I mean group ride. If that makes me a girly rider...oh well

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Yep, I do my own speed. Hardly ever ride as part of a sizeable group, past experiences have created a "not for me thanks" attitude to group riding. Much more fun to go with one or two guys whose riding I trust, than to partake in a group race, err I mean group ride. If that makes me a girly rider...oh well

same here mate......
    to many unknown quantities added to fucken worry about.....

been on a few large group rides in the past, but am giving it a permanent miss ...

Only few people I know I like to ride with, and feel safe around...
    very few..

And no, I am no slouch...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information