Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: MAG NZ Taking Action

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I fail to understand how this protest can possibly have any positive attitude shift from the general public.

Pissing off anyone to get attention, only attracts negativity.
    I agreed with that sentiment before, yet I do see a positive in this kind of action.

If they keep doing the park up's and the numbers increase each time, then it will be obvious that they are not going away. The residents of Ponsonby and Parnell will get annoyed and, with a stroke of luck, they may involve their local MP who just happens to be Nikki Kaye who is the minister for ACC. So in my humble opinion I can see some creedence in this action.

The 'Non Riding' folk have never really given a monkeys about bikers, especially the more well heeled residents of our afflunet inner city areas, but this negativity could result in the message getting to the heart of the matter, ie those that control ACC, ie the Government.

That then is bone fide protes action. Granted MAG have stated that they have a plan and I really do look forward to their further actions in whatever they do. I believe the park ups are just the beginning.

Bike
    Mine
    I fail to understand how this protest can possibly have any positive attitude shift from the general public.

And yet the only comments I heard from the general public resulting from protests around the time of the bikeoi were postive to our cause.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    I agreed with that sentiment before, yet I do see a positive in this kind of action.

If they keep doing the park up's and the numbers increase each time, then it will be obvious that they are not going away. The residents of Ponsonby and Parnell will get annoyed and, with a stroke of luck, they may involve their local MP who just happens to be Nikki Kaye who is the minister for ACC. So in my humble opinion I can see some creedence in this action.

The 'Non Riding' folk have never really given a monkeys about bikers, especially the more well heeled residents of our afflunet inner city areas, but this negativity could result in the message getting to the heart of the matter, ie those that control ACC, ie the Government.

That then is bone fide protes action. Granted MAG have stated that they have a plan and I really do look forward to their further actions in whatever they do. I believe the park ups are just the beginning.
    Could MAG not just go and see Niki Kaye themselves? Her office is across the road from Motomail who by chance sell motorcycle protective gear.
    " Hi Nicky, Mag would like to invite you over to the Cafe at Motomail to discuss ways that the $30 levy collected of all motorcyclists could be spent to improve motorcycle safety"
    or summit
    Easier on the eye than Nick Smith
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Could MAG not just go and see Niki Kaye themselves? Her office is across the road from Motomail who by chance sell motorcycle protective gear.
    " Hi Nicky, Mag would like to invite you over to the Cafe at Motomail to discuss ways that the $30 levy collected of all motorcyclists could be spent to improve motorcycle safety"
    or summit
    Easier on the eye than Nick Smith

That is actually a really good idea that

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker

Not aimed at you Drew but
    Problem with protest is it has to attract attention (otherwise it not a protest) that in its own definition will cause inconvenience.

The trick is to educate the public so the issue is bigger than the inconvenience and they see justification in your gripe or protest.
    Then you have a chance to get them onside.
    There will always be some that say fuck you like Madness and do their best to wreck everything your trying to achieve.
    But if you can get the larger middle ground onside then your support base is starting to have some influence.

Park up's in Ponsonby might seem a little lame but where the fuck else do you start with 20 bikes that care enough to do something. I guess the silent majority are Happy with the Acc fees? NOT!

A car registration will be about say $431-00 now - 40% = $258-00 ish dollars vs a 650 bike which will remain at $591-00.
    That relates to more than twice the charge on what Woodhouse intended to be a no fault system.
    Are we really costing 100% more when we are a small proportion of the total injury accidents that happen?
    Secondly If they are going to allocate fault or risk then its insurance, not no fault ACC.
    You cant have a risk assessed system if every injury group arnt paying like dirt bikers, Cyclists and rugby players.
    We are told ACC is now self funding is it only self funding for car drivers? Thats not what we where sold ACC to be??
    They are also siting on the 10 mil levy pool which has made 2 mil in interest and done fuck all to help the situation??
    Even Jo Public can see thats not right????

I guess what they are saying is if we take our full rights and take a full park because its costing us twice the rego fee to be a road user, this is what you get, so support us to get a fairer go??

All the above are assumptions, I do not represent MAG. I have been to one meeting and am not a member at present.
    But I still am a passionate biker. I do care and we are getting shafted I reckon.
    I should take my own advice and put my money where my Keyboard is because what they need most is numbers and input.
    Done my bit earlier! Bikers as a group need to step up or "shut up and pay up" LOL
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Not aimed at you Drew but
    Problem with protest is it has to attract attention (otherwise it not a protest) that in its own definition will cause inconvenience.

The trick is to educate the public so the issue is bigger than the inconvenience and they see justification in your gripe or protest.
    Then you have a chance to get them onside.
    There will always be some that say fuck you like Madness and do their best to wreck everything your trying to achieve.
    But if you can get the larger middle ground onside then your support base is starting to have some influence.

Park up's in Ponsonby might seem a little lame but where the fuck else do you start with 20 bikes that care enough to do something. I guess the silent majority are Happy with the Acc fees? NOT!

A car registration will be about say $431-00 now - 40% = $258-00 ish dollars vs a 650 bike which will remain at $591-00.
    That relates to more than twice the charge on what Woodhouse intended to be a no fault system.
    Are we really costing 100% more when we are a small proportion of the total injury accidents that happen?
    Secondly If they are going to allocate fault or risk then its insurance, not no fault ACC.
    You cant have a risk assessed system if every injury group arnt paying like dirt bikers, Cyclists and rugby players.
    We are told ACC is now self funding is it only self funding for car drivers? Thats not what we where sold ACC to be??
    They are also siting on the 10 mil levy pool which has made 2 mil in interest and done fuck all to help the situation??
    Even Jo Public can see thats not right????

I guess what they are saying is if we take our full rights and take a full park because its costing us twice the rego fee to be a road user, this is what you get, so support us to get a fairer go??

All the above are assumptions, I do not represent MAG. I have been to one meeting and am not a member at present.
    But I still am a passionate biker. I do care and we are getting shafted I reckon.
    I should take my own advice and put my money where my Keyboard is because what they need most is numbers and input.
    Done my bit earlier! Bikers as a group need to step up or "shut up and pay up" LOL
    Perfectly illustrated, what he said ^^^^

Too Fat To Ride Slim

Bike
    Its a Boat
    MAG does not need paid membership, they need support, which is FREE.
    A shit load of Protest action has taken place over the years surprisingly enough, just for support the cause alone.

Learn how to harness the support you really need and the rest is easy.

Voltaire and I have the same thought. Park up outside Niki Kaye's office (making sure she is in office before hand) and don't move until she acknowledges you being there, and maybe get an invite to talk. Best of all, it's Free

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    ...There will always be some that say fuck you like Madness and do their best to wreck everything your trying to achieve.
    Please, he did nothing even remotely like try to wreck anything. That would look like turning up to an event and deliberately undermining you or your efforts... or perhaps organising a counter group to ensure that every fuckin carpark was already occupied so you couldnt actually have your park up anywhere near the centre of deadend port or ponsoby.

...But if you can get the larger middle ground onside then your support base is starting to have some influence.
    And this is there challenge. FM is right about limiting themselves to facebook to promote as there are still a number of people out there who do not frequent that "place". That said, i'd wager this thread has not done anything to capture that middle ground and like I said before this will have less to do with Madness and more to do with FM's performance.

...I guess what they are saying is if we take our full rights and take a full park because its costing us twice the rego fee to be a road user, this is what you get, so support us to get a fairer go??
    I'd imagine that a fair proportion of them might agree that its a little unfair we are charged more however would reconcile this with the fact we get the benefits of missing traffic jams, running motorway onramp lane signals, generally (read generally) travelling a little over average in most conditions, being able to park anywhere.... blah blah blah blah

"shut up and pay up" LOL
    I seem to recall thats what Madness was actually saying. He was more than happy to pay, so.....

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post

I seem to recall thats what Madness was actually saying. He was more than happy to pay, so.....
    Which is cool, no problem with that but to then go off on one calling people cunts and suchlike is out of order.

Anyway enough about that geezer and as for my 'performance', well not really bothered what people think about that. My little exchanges with sir madness are totally irrelevant compared to what MAG are trying to do.

Too Fat To Ride Slim

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    MAG does not need paid membership, they need support, which is FREE.
    A shit load of Protest action has taken place over the years surprisingly enough, just for support the cause alone.

Learn how to harness the support you really need and the rest is easy.

Voltaire and I have the same thought. Park up outside Niki Kaye's office (making sure she is in office before hand) and don't move until she acknowledges you being there and maybe get an invite tot talk.
    I like my cafe over the road idea better, might not make the news but probably more constructive.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Max View Post
    ...My little exchanges with sir madness are totally irrelevant compared to what MAG are trying to do.
    The irony is, that while the park up's are what they are (and I actually do commend people for getting of their arses and putting their own time and energy into something they believe in) MAG remain more irrelevant than the goings on of this site.... Still a work in progress though eh? Good luck to them but if they cant motivate bikers who should care why do they presume joe public will?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    Please, he did nothing even remotely like try to wreck anything. That would look like turning up to an event and deliberately undermining you or your efforts... or perhaps organising a counter group to ensure that every fuckin carpark was already occupied so you couldnt actually have your park up anywhere near the centre of deadend port or ponsoby.

True I was referring mainly to this thread but point taken

And this is there challenge. FM is right about limiting themselves to facebook to promote as there are still a number of people out there who do not frequent that "place". That said, i'd wager this thread has not done anything to capture that middle ground and like I said before this will have less to do with Madness and more to do with FM's performance.

Agreed

I'd imagine that a fair proportion of them might agree that its a little unfair we are charged more however would reconcile this with the fact we get the benefits of missing traffic jams, running motorway onramp lane signals, generally (read generally) travelling a little over average in most conditions, being able to park anywhere.... blah blah blah blah

And you reckon we should be happy to pay extra for not congesting the roads for the car drivers and aiding the traffic flow? They are benefits that come free with biking (and cycling). Bikers and car drivers gain from those equally.

I seem to recall thats what Madness was actually saying. He was more than happy to pay, so....

No Madness was having a go at everything and I did say SHUT UP and pay up LOL but did say he was happy to pay.

Open debate is good, and what MAG needs for direction from bikers.
    With that said I don't think they have ever held themselves up to represent all bikers??
    They are an action group protesting issues that concern bikers as in MAG?

With that I'll retire for a while and let others have some input!
    Its not my show after all and have said enough at this time.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    By the way they have had a mention in the sideswipe section in the herald 2 days in a row. Anyone know about the one in the 70's referred to??

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11380375

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    By the way they have had a mention in the sideswipe section in the herald 2 days in a row. Anyone know about the one in the 70's referred to??

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11380375
    Imagine the traction you could get on the filtering laws if MAG had 2-3000 bikes and we all sat in the queue instead of filtering at spaghetti junction. Would put that tosser ticketing in Ngauranga gorge in his place. Same principle as the park ups tho I guess?? Numbers is whats needed.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    ''I don't think they have ever held themselves up to represent all bikers''

Technically, they do represent for all motorcyclists Rick, if they (by a small to no chance) succeed in getting a reduction on any Motorcycle Levy, that will effect all registered Motorbikes ....right?

No need to pay into that very slim situation ,but if it happens...all for free, win/win I will clap

Thread Information