Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Spec do not have the same degree of airtightness so are less prone to fog and if they do I just tilt them down on my nose until I get up enough speed for them to clear which is usually seconds.
    What a picture, you a school teacher?
    Had a maths teacher who slipped his specs down his nose when he got steamed up.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB1300

I want to corner faster but how?

With a jaw/noggin my size I can fog up a pinlock at less than 30.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Tell me again why ... motorcycling is NOT dangerous ...

Have you ever ridden into some other vehicle you didn't see ... ???
    Like incest, it's all relative. Everything has the potential to be dangerous. My quoted text actually said SAFER, not SAFE. IS Cassina your love child? you're showing the same level of miscomprehension.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I can wave in a corner.

Recently acquired an open face helmet so I'm building up to eating a pie on the go.
    I have noticed over the years, that riders with open face helmets tended to be fat and assumed it was from insect consumption.

Maybe those saddle bags are full of pies, and the tassles keep the flies away?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    With a jaw/noggin my size I can fog up a pinlock at less than 30.
    Check the seal, you may need to rotate the pins to force the pinlock tighter against the visor.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Check the seal, you may need to rotate the pins to force the pinlock tighter against the visor.
    Except it is fogging up on the side my face is on. No the visor side of the insert.

Yes, sometimes I find it fogs up inside too. Then I take it off, was in dishwater and reinstall.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    I have noticed over the years, that riders with open face helmets tended to be fat and assumed it was from insect consumption.

Maybe those saddle bags are full of pies, and the tassles keep the flies away?
    Or just older, less active.
    Reasons I have given: we are doing lots of slow riding and the only other realistic option is shedding gear. Eg doing walking pace exercises for over an hour. Around bike festivals.

Reasons I have been given?
    I like to smoke while riding - Explains the burns in the beard.
    I like to eat - from someone with burn scars down one cheek and the chin. Always blow on the pie. Especially cheese pies.
    I like the wind in my hair - always from bald men.
    So the girls can see me smile - always Middle Aged, usually overweight, bald men with dodgy teeth.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    Like incest, it's all relative.
    I can assure you .. Cassina is not a relative.

Driving is safer than motorcycling. So a higher ACC levy should be expected.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I can assure you .. Cassina is not a relative.

Driving is safer than motorcycling. So a higher corner speed should be expected in cars.
    Research was done in UK on police drivers and riders into accident rates and so on (sorry no links, so choose to disbelieve if you like). The result was that the accident rate for bikes per km was lower than for cars but the effects of those accidents was higher on bikes. The net result was they considered that for police trained and assessed drivers/riders the risk was the same.

BTW I didn't think this was the ACC thread so I fixed your quote
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Only thing wrong is.... You suggested to corner at the posted advisory speed. Ignore speed signs. They don't take into account gravel, they never seem to be the same, a 45 can sometimes be taken faster than a 55. They don't tell you there's less grip from tar bleed. Ignore them, learn to watch the road, read the road. Make a judgement on each corner based on experience, skill level, condition and prepare for what can't be seen around the corner. Take a 35k corner at 60 safely one day, then the same corner the next day at 20.

Go to a track day, go to an acc subsidised rider training program and get some practice. If traffic is getting away from you, let them, who cares. If traffic is being held up behind you, pull over when safe to do so and let faster traffic past.

Those advisory speed signs are set 15-25km/h below the speed which the 85th percentile of traffic safely navigates the corner. Trucks can travel at pretty near to those speeds. Yes your bike is capable of higher speeds, but right now, you aren't, travel at a comfortable speed. Ride your own ride.
    Actually the speed recommendations are set so that the average person can stop in 1/2 the distance you can see through the corner. It has nothing to do about how fast you can actually take the corner in any vehicle. It is all about stopping distance through the corner.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Actually the speed recommendations are set so that the average person can stop in 1/2 the distance you can see through the corner. It has nothing to do about how fast you can actually take the corner in any vehicle. It is all about stopping distance through the corner.
    BULLSHIT.

The speed advisory figure is measured by driving a vehicle around the curve at a constant speed and measuring the lateral forces acting on the vehicle using a side thrust gauge. Two runs that yield the same result must be made for a sign to be adopted.

The speed set for the curve is 15kph less than the 85th percentile curve approach speed for speed of 30-60kph, i.e. the speed at which the top 15% of traffic would approach the curve, i.e. the speed just before the traffic begins to slow down. Therefore if the sign says 15kph then the 85% percentile is travelling at 30kph. For speeds of 80-90kph the advisory speed is 25kph less. For 110-130kph the advisory speed is 35kph less. These speed guidelines were set in the 1990s and are now out-of-date because overall speeds are lower and vehicle capabilities are higher. Although this doesn't stop surprisingly frequent rollovers of heavy vehicles each year through misjudging the corner.

Signs are placed at least 120m ahead of the curve in rural areas and 60m ahead of the curve in urban areas.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    And so should the level of registration. Those that support the current ACC charges though will say this is NZ and not the UK so we are happy to pay more than cars anyway.
    Be sure to crash more often then .. and get your moneys worth ...

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    BULLSHIT.

The speed advisory figure is measured by driving a vehicle around the curve at a constant speed and measuring the lateral forces acting on the vehicle using a side thrust gauge. Two runs that yield the same result must be made for a sign to be adopted.

The speed set for the curve is 15kph less than the 85th percentile curve approach speed for speed of 30-60kph, i.e. the speed at which the top 15% of traffic would approach the curve, i.e. the speed just before the traffic begins to slow down. Therefore if the sign says 15kph then the 85% percentile is travelling at 30kph. For speeds of 80-90kph the advisory speed is 25kph less. For 110-130kph the advisory speed is 35kph less. These speed guidelines were set in the 1990s and are now out-of-date because overall speeds are lower and vehicle capabilities are higher. Although this doesn't stop surprisingly frequent rollovers of heavy vehicles each year through misjudging the corner.

Signs are placed at least 120m ahead of the curve in rural areas and 60m ahead of the curve in urban areas.
    I can see you read that off a driving test site. Doing a defensive driving course it was hammered home that it was stopping distance. To work out 85 percentile is a pure guess unless someone sits on a corner measuring speeds for many days.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui
    [quote name="FJRider" post=1130841790]BULLSHIT.

I can see you read that off a driving test site. Doing a defensive driving course it was hammered home that it was stopping distance. To work out 85 percentile is a pure guess unless someone sits on a corner measuring speeds for many days.[/quote]
    Have you ever noticed those little black tubes running across the road? they are surveying speed and volume of traffic at a certain point.

and yes, some councils pay for serveyors to sit and watch. Auckland watches traffic flows on cameras.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    I can see you read that off a driving test site. Doing a defensive driving course it was hammered home that it was stopping distance. To work out 85 percentile is a pure guess unless someone sits on a corner measuring speeds for many days.
    This is the important bit ... is how the advisory speed is calculated for a corner.

The figure is measured by driving a vehicle around the curve at a constant speed and measuring the lateral forces acting on the vehicle using a side thrust gauge. Two runs that yield the same result must be made for a sign to be adopted.

Thread Information