Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    We should go riding. Ill make you look like Rossi with my lack of corner speed.
    I shout at lycra riders when they pass me within 1.5metres though.

Maybe a bucket racer will take you to the track if they still have membership keys and let you do some laps.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Dont encourage him
    Why not, in this case (rare as that may be)she's right
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    yep - I also agree with cassina, katman and now kickaha. Pity she didnt stop there and had to start rambling though! Again!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    In this instance I think Cassina is pretty much bang on the money.
    Agree with you this time.

I wish i could corner faster too. Who doesn't?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Cause it wont go away.....sheesh, i have to do all the thinking for you turkeys

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    How old are you?

10?
    Laughing at you and your "special" friend has taken the years right off!

Re the op, lessons from a riding instructor and/or a mentor might assist. The issue might be finding a mentor that does not have bad habits themselves, might be a risk..... If Katman or his wee sidekick offer, might pay to politely decline and slowly back away!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You sound like you are under pressure to "keep up"? if you were riding on your own would it be a worry I bet not. Having said that though some bikes are safer to corner on than others with cruiser bikes being the worst being so low. There was a story in the AA magazine that said most single motorbike crashes happen by going too fast into corners. If you can corner at the posted speed a lot of bends have on them I would not worry about what others think.

Only thing wrong is.... You suggested to corner at the posted advisory speed. Ignore speed signs. They don't take into account gravel, they never seem to be the same, a 45 can sometimes be taken faster than a 55. They don't tell you there's less grip from tar bleed. Ignore them, learn to watch the road, read the road. Make a judgement on each corner based on experience, skill level, condition and prepare for what can't be seen around the corner. Take a 35k corner at 60 safely one day, then the same corner the next day at 20.

Go to a track day, go to an acc subsidised rider training program and get some practice. If traffic is getting away from you, let them, who cares. If traffic is being held up behind you, pull over when safe to do so and let faster traffic past.

Those advisory speed signs are set 15-25km/h below the speed which the 85th percentile of traffic safely navigates the corner. Trucks can travel at pretty near to those speeds. Yes your bike is capable of higher speeds, but right now, you aren't, travel at a comfortable speed. Ride your own ride.

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    I have been riding for about 18 months, though my Street Triple is new this week
    18 months riding is not a long time and a new bike to get used to also?..me thinks you need to focus on just getting out there and putting in some riding time. Get used to your new baby.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz
    Here's the thing: I've been told that I can easily take corners faster than I do. But I am scared to.
    No one else is riding that bike but you. No one else is experiencing what is going on in your helmet but you. Don't let someone else influence how fast you go. It's your life.
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    a red heap
    do a search on here for "skidmark" or "dangerousbastard" and read all their posts.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Only thing wrong is.... You suggested to corner at the posted advisory speed. Ignore speed signs. They don't take into account gravel, they never seem to be the same, a 45 can sometimes be taken faster than a 55. They don't tell you there's less grip from tar bleed. Ignore them, learn to watch the road, read the road. Make a judgement on each corner based on experience, skill level, condition and prepare for what can't be seen around the corner. Take a 35k corner at 60 safely one day, then the same corner the next day at 20.

Go to a track day, go to an acc subsidised rider training program and get some practice. If traffic is getting away from you, let them, who cares. If traffic is being held up behind you, pull over when safe to do so and let faster traffic past.

Those advisory speed signs are set 15-25km/h below the speed which the 85th percentile of traffic safely navigates the corner. Trucks can travel at pretty near to those speeds. Yes your bike is capable of higher speeds, but right now, you aren't, travel at a comfortable speed. Ride your own ride.
    Wot he said!
    The last part is the key.
    Your OWN ride.
    Other keys, acc funded pro rider courses.
    KB Mentor in your area,
    Club track day with provision that you make it absolutely clear you are a complete novice, they will look after you.
    Mostly though, if you aren't sure, ask.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Just ride comfortably, if that means going a lot slower than the others then so be it, you're out there to enjoy the ride so if you aren't enjoying it what's the point?

Fear is not something you want to deal with while riding, being scared takes up a lot of your concentration and you won't be learning anything when you are pushing yourself.

Watch the video posted by Mike.Gayner (twist if the wrist 2) and read the book version if you can get your hands on a copy, it explains how bikes work, it is focused on racing but on the track or on the road the technique doesn't change, just the speed. And consider getting professional rider training (I think it's still subsidized by the government, so quite affordable)

If you are enjoying the ride and smoothly clearing corners you start to gain confidence and refine your riding technique which will make you faster without even realizing it. Ignore the speedo there is no need to use it for any reason other than to check if you are breaking the speed limit.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm good question really.

Ride more Ride more ride.....

I'd also suggest you ride the same route for a while - say pick a favourite weekend destination with a good place to stop for a coffee or similar. If you ride that route frequently you'll become familiar with the corners and find you are naturally increasing your speed. Yeah you'll get cocky a few times and shit ya self but that is normal.

Oh and these riding 'mates' how about one of them knocks the pace back a bit so you can follow them. Might learn something.

Corners - remember if you are getting your confidence - get your braking and gear changing done before the corner - better slow in and you can power out half way around. Enter above you comfort level and it will probably turn to custard.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Before you try reading Twist of the Wrist, have a look at this publication from Norway: Full Control

You can download the booklet as a pdf and it is a good beginners' guide to riding.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Get this book somehow: http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-T.../dp/1893618072

Read it, read it, read it. Truly learn what he is trying to say then practice it every weekend. I was just like you. 60k corner I will do 55-60. Over the course of a few months of riding every weekend or second weekend on a sunday, I can hit 60k corners at 95 no sweat when I am truly in a state of Motorcycle Zen (1 hr or more into a ride usually) and the roads are good. Any faster is just ridiculous for me as it is on the road and I like to have some in reserve in case of emergency.

Commuting doesn't help at all to be honest and makes me more scared when weekend ride time comes around. The only way you can really improve is to actually ride the kind of roads you fear.

I need to get that book out again from the library to refresh some stuff. It is so useful.

Thread Information