Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I enjoyed this book

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Main thing is technique, don't give a shit about speed itself. Just get the proper technique down and stay safe; learn to read the road and the traffic, learn what your bike is capable of in more controlled circumstances (car park or track). Smooth and safe is far more enjoyable than fast and loose anyway imo.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Your comments seem to contradict themselves by saying cornering at the recommended speed you will risk crashing in gravel//tar bleed but 85% of drivers can corner safely above them. So either 85% of bends have no gravel/tar bleed or 85% of motorists can handle it?. In my opinion the fact you have said 85% travel over the recommended speed leaves poster 1 with the impression they must aim for having that ability down the track but if you read my earlier post from the AA magazine it does say most single bike crashes result from cornering too fast.
    Crap like this is why the OP has been instructed not to listen to this idiot, the comment about 85 percent being able to go faster is about those who know the road and know the condition of it, of course you need to slow down if you are unsure of the conditions or possible dangers.

Just because I can clear a 35kmh corner at 80 doesn't mean I will go 80 everytime I see a 35kmh sign. Ignore the signs and make your own judgements based on what you can see and what you expect to see when you go around the corner, and if you don't have any reason to believe otherwise, expect the worst (stalled car, large group of lycra fags, gravel in the road, etc.....)

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Hallo. My name is Grashopper and I'm sloooooow.

I feel a lot like kaz. I'm never really sure about the road surface, how sticky my tires really are and if there is not a cow on the road behind the next blind corner. Pretty much everybody I ride with is a hell of a lot faster than me in corners and I always wonder how they can do that. Especially in those 25 - 45 blind corners.

I've done quite a few trackdays and rider training days and they definitely helped. There is one on the Manfield (?) track this weekend if you're interested, kaz: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...e-Training-Day And +1 on watching the Twist of the Wrist video and reading the book.

You mentioned that you're scared, so I don't think you are as relaxed as you think, either.

However, a track is much safer than the road. No blind corners, the track surface is generally clean and even. and the chance of a campervan heading towards you on the wrong side of the road is reasonably slim. Because I was dead slow to begin with, I can say I've actually become at least a tiny bit faster on the track (until I come to that mean little lefthander at HD, though, which I conquer at about walking speed...), but on a twisty road I still hold up everything but tourists in underpowered campervans looking for the next photostop.
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Your comments seem to contradict themselves by saying cornering at the recommended speed you will risk crashing in gravel//tar bleed but 85% of drivers can corner safely above them. So either 85% of bends have no gravel/tar bleed or 85% of motorists can handle it?. In my opinion the fact you have said 85% travel over the recommended speed leaves poster 1 with the impression they must aim for having that ability down the track but if you read my earlier post from the AA magazine it does say most single bike crashes result from cornering too fast.

Fail.....
    Fail.....
    Fail.......
    85th percentile.... Not 85%..... Same same but different. So in cassina words, if 100 people go around a corner, at a comfortable speed, on a dry day, rank their speeds from slowest to fastest. Person number 1 is going 50km/h and person number 100 went around the corner at 140km/h. The majority of road users are just safely cruising from A to B, a few are out there going quite quick, and quite a few are unskilled, driving slow vehicles or uncomfortable on the open road. It has been concluded by magical statisticians that person number 85 is traveling at the safest speed, with the least chance of crashing. So person number 85 travelled around the corner at 90km/h, take away the 25km/h and the advisory sign should say 65.

A 65 corner would have 85% of vehicles travelling below 90km/h (in this made up scenario anyway).

For the record, in good conditions there's an old saying, double plus ten... But that's getting to the very edge of the tires. Like I said earlier, the best thing you can do is ignore them for the most part. An advisory sign will give a very vague idea how sharp a corner is. But never rely on them, never gauge your speed based solely on them. Learn to read the road

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Did you not know road conditions can change from day to day for a multitude of reasons. Predicting that the road conditions will be the same from day to day is just playing Russian roulette in my opinion. You are the idiot sport!!
    Okay Nana, maybe I should just stay home then, that's safe isn't it?

For the record, not every 35kmh corner is blind, and since I have been known to do several laps of different roads in a day (mostly around the Port Hills) I might go through the same corner several times in a day and only about 20 minutes apart, 30 if I stop for a smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    For the record, in good conditions there's an old saying, double plus ten... But that's getting to the very edge of the tires. Like I said earlier, the best thing you can do is ignore them for the most part. An advisory sign will give a very vague idea how sharp a corner is. But never rely on them, never gauge your speed based solely on them. Learn to read the road
    That's what I was always told too. Although I can think of many places where even in perfect conditions that would end badly, so I agree, best to make your own judgements based on whatever information you have

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Did you not know road conditions can change from day to day for a multitude of reasons. Predicting that the road conditions will be the same from day to day is just playing Russian roulette in my opinion. You are the idiot sport!!
    Seems you are the only one here who didn't know that.
    By the way I'd put good money on most of the people in this thread that you have told off, haven't come off their bikes as often as you.
    Unlike some they actually ride their bikes they don't throw them away every time a corner gets too hard!
    To the OP.
    This person is a danger to themselves and others and any advice from them should be taken with a large dose of, anything but believe it!
    Many have offered their advice, most of it is genuine and that which is will stand you in good stead, practice, ride with people who are interested in you enjoying your ride not worried about how fast you are going, get some time in with professional trainers, my wife recently did the pro rider bronze all day course and came home much happier than the last time she went out, she learnt how to ride through/around corners in both directions and without mucking up, something about counter steering, thanks Howie!
    Track days give you unopposed roadways to ride around and let you experiment with your cornering techniques and trying out what your instructors tell you to do, great for seeing what can be done under controlled conditions.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL
    Ever heard of SLLR . . . . ..
    It's a cornering technique acrynom . . . It's the basics and not the Alfa and Omega of cornering . .

Get the basics right and by practice the rest will follow

What i have not seen in these comments is the fact that a car will corner faster than a bike . . .

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    OP, if you want to work on your cornering, do it in a safe and isolated environment, ie, get yourself to a rider training day.

However, my personal belief is ignore the speed. As your skills improve through getting out and riding, the speed will come naturally.

However cliche it is, just remember the road is not a racetrack, so always leave plenty in reserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Go talk to 2-3 instructors, pick one you get along with and learn face to face.
    You've been on a bike long enough to learn yourself, it hasn't happened, get a pro to help and be careful what advice you listen to on the interwebz...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wolfe View Post
    What i have not seen in these comments is the fact that a car will corner faster than a bike . . .
    So you're answer is to buy a car? Think you're preaching to the wrong crowd here mate...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    AA Magazine. AA Magazine. The single most anti-motorcycle organisation in the country. I don't think you should probably ride motorcycles. BTW, the AA present their research the same way the Government does: Selectively and with bias.

Heaven forbid that anyone should actually enjoy driving or riding. Why, I think I might take up staying at home for a hobby.

You're allowed to interpret haydes comments however you want. However you should probably have a second look at the output before you push the "post" button. You are almost as reactionary as Tony Abbott and your obvious loathing for your fellow humans is tainting your outlook. Some people are better at stuff than you. Some are worse. You need to make an accommodation with that because there is no way to make everyone conform to your extremely narrow views on what makes an acceptable life.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    AA Magazine. AA Magazine. The single most anti-motorcycle organisation in the country. I don't think you should probably ride motorcycles. BTW, the AA present their research the same way the Government does: Selectively and with bias.
    Trouble is Jim, even many of us motorcyclists realise that losing control on a corner (due to incorrect speed for the conditions/ability) is one of the biggest causes of motorcycle crashes.

If we're honest with ourselves the AA aren't telling us anything we don't already know.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    If we're honest with ourselves the AA aren't telling us anything we don't already know.
    I tried to green rep this statement. Yes stats can be brought in a way to fit the story being told but honesty about our own abilities is the key.

To the OP there is some really good advice here. From a scan read you are being advised to get as much experience as possible and to learn at your own pace. How so much wisdom came from the likes of KB members I will never know!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    For the sake of repeating the good info this thread, don't focus on speed. Trying to corner quicker to keep up with other riders is very risky, you can out ride your ability and it's not fun. At all.

Practice your basics, road position, visibility, vanishing point, anticipation etc. Same with your handling skills, brakes, throttle, gears, body position. The better you can ride, technically, the smoother and ultimately quicker you will go. How fast you can stop is far more important than how fast you can go.
    Training & practice. Repeat.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSA & WR
    OP rider training in a controled enviroment is the way forward to understanding what you are doing in relation to your riding/machine control and how to practise change/improvement under the watchful eyes of experienced instructors providing both practical and theory instruction.

The Auckland Motorcycle Club has a training day on the 15th of February at Hampton Downs http://www.amcc.org.nz/index.php/men...uary-2015.html
    If you can get yourself up here you will leave with a lot more knowledge and confidence.

I know Brian Bernard rider training is a little nearer to you http://www.bernardracing.co.nz/rider-training.html

Either way Kas get some instruction to improve your riding and dont put pressure on youself to ride faster, speed comes with smoothness and an understanding of what to do to achive this.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    . I don't really want to regurgitate the debate I had with you and your mates a few weeks back
    ...really?...you are funny in a very unhumorous way...twat...

Thread Information