Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    So you think the faster you can go around bends the "better" you are?
    Can you point out where he actually said that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...that's fucking obvious isn't it you imbecilic twat...do you finger yourself while you are beating up us dangerous, go a little faster than you can blokes who just love to wind wankers up...if you are a special needs person maybe you should get permission from your caregiver before playing with the keyboard or at least let them guide you...maybe they don't like motorcyclists either and can give you some better stories than you come up with...fucking twat...
    Fuck you're an angry cunt, is that just because you're a ginga?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post
    I think kaz has given up on this thread, if she's smart ( and I think she is) she has already sifted out the useful and left the rest of you dribblers to talk amongst yourselves.
    If she's smart she'll give up on the site not just the thread
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2014 Triumph Street Triple

Smile Thank you

Hi all

Thank you so much for your responses - (mainly!) a lot of collective KB wisdom. I've had some nice encouragement and good tips from you.

I've now watched Twist of the Wrist II (thanks for the link - it was really helpful) and also gotten hold of that Code book, which looks interesting. Plus found some possibilities for buddies and mentors.

Perhaps most importantly, I have understood that I do not need to put pressure on myself or let anyone else pressure me. Just as some of you have pointed out - I have gotten confused between being "as good as" and "being as fast as".

I think I'll do some planned practice and otherwise just enjoy myself. After all, I've got an awesome Street Triple!

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Now, getting back to the car thing, yes, a 99% car driven at its maximum will have peak corner speeds higher than motorbikes. Look at some MotoGP vs F1 telemetry. F1 cars also brake harder, later: why? obviously a function of amount of rubber on the road and C 0f G.
    True, but when talking about race cars, most of the higher corner speed is possible due to the downforce from the aerodynamic components. An F1 car at 120km/hr has about a full car's weight of downforce; 2x at around 190km/hr. That means about twice as much traction at 120 to stop you flying off the corner, three times as much at 190 & so on. Motorbikes don't really have any significant downforce. Bum.

The big advantage for a 'normal' car of having 4 wheels and wide tyres is that a loss of grip on any small patch has a much lower overall impact to the available grip than for a bike.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxythingy View Post
    ...cars. car stuff, car stuff......
    ...and fifty squillion hp...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Hi all

Thank you so much for your responses - (mainly!) a lot of collective KB wisdom. I've had some nice encouragement and good tips from you.

I've now watched Twist of the Wrist II (thanks for the link - it was really helpful) and also gotten hold of that Code book, which looks interesting. Plus found some possibilities for buddies and mentors.

Perhaps most importantly, I have understood that I do not need to put pressure on myself or let anyone else pressure me. Just as some of you have pointed out - I have gotten confused between being "as good as" and "being as fast as".

I think I'll do some planned practice and otherwise just enjoy myself. After all, I've got an awesome Street Triple!
    good on you. You could learn the way we all did in the 80's: by having full on balls to the wall road races from Wellington to Masterton then back via Palmerston North. wearing jeans and shitty jackets and giving no fucks. Knew a few who died that way.

In terms of cornering you want to wait

wait

wait

see god (or deity of choice: I pray to Kevin Schwantz personally) then

all the brakes all at once, chuck er in, you want at least your knee on the ground if not your elbow and shoulder (you want AT LEAST one shoulder save per ride otherwise you arent doing it properly) you then need to turn the go button all the way and reve the tits off the old girl - its oly going properly when the needle is on the "M" in RPM.

rinse

then repeat.

You'll get the hang of it.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I enjoyed this book

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Main thing is technique, don't give a shit about speed itself. Just get the proper technique down and stay safe; learn to read the road and the traffic, learn what your bike is capable of in more controlled circumstances (car park or track). Smooth and safe is far more enjoyable than fast and loose anyway imo.
    Thanks for that! I have ordered it from the library now. It appears there is a newer version of that book you linked, a 2015 version.

Agree with smooth and safe. I used to be very aggressive and be on the throttle then hard on the brakes before corners. After reading the book by Nick Ienatsch I work more with the throttle now rather than the brake. In the hills the brake is for minor corrections rather than large speed changes.

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post

!
    Great. You are riding a motorcycle on the open road. That is a rare privilege 95% of people will never know. Embrace it, love it, enjoy it. Cornering comes slowly and even on a Ducati it was scary for a few years.

You are probably unaware but there are experienced bikers who choose to ride small/tiny bikes to rallys just for the fun and sheer endurance of it. Cars can pass them on corners but those cages won't stop when the bikers fall about with laughter under the stars.

OP: do as others have suggested. I endorse the "get some training and get some track time" approach. Also: good gear. And chill. have some fun. Nobody rides a motorbike because they have to. We do it because we WANT to because we LIKE it.

If you arent having a good time, no sweat, find something you do enjoy.... for a long time I was a very keen mountain bike rider. My partner and I used to go out a bit but she finally cracked and said "this is not for me, I dont like it". She now does other things and we are both happy.

Now, getting back to the car thing, yes, a 99% car driven at its maximum will have peak corner speeds higher than motorbikes.

Who cares though? bikes are bikes and cars are cars. And my Subaru is no F1 car.
    Well said. :

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL

then . . . .all the brakes all at once,
    Really??? . . . .all the brakes at once?

errrr actualy NO ! . . . .

Control and as smooth as possible is the key . .
    "Bring it on !"

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wolfe View Post
    Really??? . . . .all the brakes at once?

errrr actualy NO ! . . . .

Control and as smooth as possible is the key . .
    pish posh. remember you get supplementary braking because you are sliding the front wheel with your knee and elbow on the ground. If in doubt GAS 'ER UP!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Lots and lots of riding is key. Never try and force yourself to go faster, it will end badly. I always approach a ride based on my rhythm, if I'm feeling good on the bike I will take a corner a tad faster, if I'm not then I sit back and enjoy it. Occasionally if my Rhythm is too bad (perhaps I'd had a late one) I would turn around and go home.

It all depends on what your natural rhythm is like and the only way to improve it is with some training and above all experience. I did over 40'000ks on my 250 before stepping on to a 600, it let me get away with a fair few silly mistakes that I bigger bike may not have.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Lots and lots of riding is key. Never try and force yourself to go faster, it will end badly. I always approach a ride based on my rhythm, if I'm feeling good on the bike I will take a corner a tad faster, if I'm not then I sit back and enjoy it. Occasionally if my Rhythm is too bad (perhaps I'd had a late one) I would turn around and go home.

It all depends on what your natural rhythm is like and the only way to improve it is with some training and above all experience. I did over 40'000ks on my 250 before stepping on to a 600, it let me get away with a fair few silly mistakes that I bigger bike may not have.
    Now there is some good advice, particularly about being ready to step up, different folks different strokes.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL
    pish posh. remember you get supplementary braking because you are sliding the front wheel with your knee and elbow on the ground. If in doubt GAS 'ER UP!

........ I wanna corner behind you ............ because in front of you l'll miss this spectacle .....
    "Bring it on !"

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Now there is some good advice, particularly about being ready to step up, different folks different strokes.

Yes !!! ..... nothing beats riding experience over and over and over ............

From a track school instructor comes the word " I got to be as smooth and fast as I am only because of riding often ..... 100's and 100's of laps on the track has built the confidence I need"

Ride !!!!
    "Bring it on !"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wolfe View Post
    ........ I wanna corner behind you ............ because in front of you l'll miss this spectacle .....

...how much coffee can you drink?...

Bike
    Suzuki V Strom 1000 DL
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...how much coffee can you drink?...
    You're in Canterbury ....... and who's buying. I drink other stuff as well .......
    "Bring it on !"

Thread Information