Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wolfe View Post
    You're in Canterbury ....... and who's buying. I drink other stuff as well .......

...it's a fucking long way for a cup of tea...try Crashers coffee, it's closer...l

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    No! Such gay abandon, he carelessly throws another poor young Kb'er to the crashers coffee.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    No! Such gay abandon, he carelessly throws another poor young Kb'er to the crashers coffee.
    Yeah thats a way worse offence than trying to convince a newb to push the front and do elbow and knee saves..... at least there isnt a UNHCR mandate about that stuff whereas that coffee has been classified as against the Geneva convention and its use is, well, a war crime.

Here is a picture of me demonstrating how easy it is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freddie-spencer2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	308680  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Here is a picture of me demonstrating how easy it is:
    FreddieDorsetCase, just not the same ring to it.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Don't bother, your a woman and don't belong on a bike anyway.

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750
    In the few years that I ran(assisted) NASS I found that blokes would ride at 9/10ths and get into trouble. The gals would ride at 5/10ths and build up as they got more experience. Don't rush it, it can take a year to learn a new bike. You have gone from a big scoot to a big sports bike and you only have 18mths riding experience, I'm impressed!!! That's one hell of a jump.
    If you do track days get a small bike (250) that you can thrash, put crash bars on it and have fun. Be prepared to drop it, you only find your limit is to push hard. I wouldn't advise using this years model on the track. Track bikes don't need rego so that's a saving.
    Regards Richard
    PS don't rush it You want to be riding in 20 years time a bad crash could put you off riding for ever.
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by thehovel View Post
    In the few years that I ran(assisted) NASS I found that blokes would ride at 9/10ths and get into trouble. The gals would ride at 5/10ths and build up as they got more experience. Don't rush it, it can take a year to learn a new bike. You have gone from a big scoot to a big sports bike and you only have 18mths riding experience, I'm impressed!!! That's one hell of a jump.
    If you do track days get a small bike (250) that you can thrash, put crash bars on it and have fun. Be prepared to drop it, you only find your limit is to push hard. I wouldn't advise using this years model on the track. Track bikes don't need rego so that's a saving.
    Regards Richard
    PS don't rush it You want to be riding in 20 years time a bad crash could put you off riding for ever.
    Wow, you've re-emerged, Richard! Thanks for your help back then with NASS guidance, I learnt a good deal from those meetups, and I think I'm a safer rider because of them. When I get a 600 I'll start going again. Where are you these days? Were you among the Ulysses Club members who met Henry Cole at the Cook Strait ferry in Picton a while back who was doing a documentary on Riding NZ on a motorcycle (A Harley unfortunately, of all the bikes he could have chosen)? I thought I saw you in the background in some of the shots.

PS, Kaz, I'm really jealous of you with your new Street Triple. Fantastic bike, and if I could afford one, it would be what I'm getting, but I might have to settle for an older Speed Four instead. Ho Hum.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    kaz hasn't been in her post a while. I hope she is ok. Its worries me when a member seeks advice from KB sometimes.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2023 Husqvarna Svartpilen 401
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    ... It worries me when a member seeks advice from KB sometimes.
    Yeah... At least the general consensus was: "Don't worry about going faster, rather, try to be smooth and safe when cornering, and then being a bit quicker will follow with practise and experience", which I think is good advice.

Smooth and gentle with the throttle, brakes, steering, clutch, and gear shifts is best all round. Better for the bike, for fuel economy, and for safety!

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samgab View Post
    Yeah... At least the general consensus was: "Don't worry about going faster, rather, try to be smooth and safe when cornering, and then being a bit quicker will follow with practise and experience", which I think is good advice.

Smooth and gentle with the throttle, brakes, steering, clutch, and gear shifts is best all round. Better for the bike, for fuel economy, and for safety!
    Agree. The main thing is not to try out perform your ability. Its like climbing a ladder. If you feel unsafe in your action the fear causes a higher risk of falling. If you have no regard for danger then you will have a higher chance of falling also. Safety is having respect for the dangers but controlling the fear by operating within you skill levels.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    The track day at Hampton Downs last Friday (Waitangi Day) was a good example of what happens when riders use poor judgement resulting in more than a few bikes getting binned on the day. Riders going in to corners too quickly on cold tyres on a patchy wet track was a common feature in the morning sessions. There is no doubt that track days / track coaching will help the OP develop - the caveat being to bring the right attitude to learning/skill development (speed will come in time with practice). Suggest the OP goes with a riding buddy and listens carefully to the key messages in the safety briefings.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    From what poster 1 said and others have agreed with me their riding buddies have, it appears have placed pressure on her to "keep up" So she would be best to go to a track training day alone so there is no pressure upon her to "keep up" on the track either. The riders you saw go down may have been under pressure to "keep up" or "compete" with their mates too.
    Yes, fair point.

I missed out the words 'mature minded' riding buddy. In my case I went to CSS alone, met some great people and have done track days and road rides with them ever since. None of them are willy-wavers and take safety as seriously as I do.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    The track day at Hampton Downs last Friday (Waitangi Day) was a good example of what happens when riders use poor judgement resulting in more than a few bikes getting binned on the day. Riders going in to corners too quickly on cold tyres on a patchy wet track was a common feature in the morning sessions. There is no doubt that track days / track coaching will help the OP develop - the caveat being to bring the right attitude to learning/skill development (speed will come in time with practice). Suggest the OP goes with a riding buddy and listens carefully to the key messages in the safety briefings.
    I haven't been to a track day, how good are the safety briefings?
    i am quite happy to improve my general riding slowly with proper training then one day I will give a group novice a go. Hopefully with a strong no nonsense trainer.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    i am quite happy to improve my general riding slowly with proper training then one day I will give a group novice a go. Hopefully with a strong no nonsense trainer.
    Some track days have more offs than race days.
    I once took my new bike on a track day. The risks people on cheap bikes took put me off taking a good road bike back to a track day.
    Instead I bought a pre89 and went racing. Took that 2 a track day and had fun.

Track Day

Bike

I want to corner faster but how?

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    The Play Days team at Hampton Downs do a great job IMO. Attending the safety briefing at the start of the day is essential in ensuring new track day goers in particular understand the do's and dont's e.g passing rules, flags, track entry & exits, signal lights etc. Control riders (wearing hiz viz vests) are usually with each group on the track to monitor riders lines, braking points, any massive speed differentials between riders (usually meaning someone is riding in the wrong group) etc. There's also plenty of marshals on each of the corners who ensure the sessions run smoothly.

Once you've popped your track day cherry it becomes very addictive as with practice, your brain starts getting used to riding at higher speeds in a relative controlled environment. As has been mentioned by other, riding at 60% and focusing on one thing at a time (braking, reference points, steering, throttle control, body positioning...) delivers good results.

Good luck.

Thread Information