Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to corner faster but how?

Bike
    2014 Triumph Street Triple

Unhappy I want to corner faster but how?

I have been riding for about 18 months, though my Street Triple is new this week (before that I had tried a big scooter, and then an Aprilia Shiver which I actually found a bit too big in frame size). I absolutely love my Street Triple - lighter and smaller and integrated with me.

Here's the thing: I've been told that I can easily take corners faster than I do. But I am scared to. I understand some of the cornering theory and I have good lines, I look through the corner, I stay relaxed.... But I'm pretty slow - as in slower than a car would be (e.g. if a corner has a recommended speed of 65, you might do 70 in a car, and I might do 60 on the bike).

So does anyone have any ideas as to HOW I could get faster cornering? I realise this means getting more lean angle but HOW do you determine what it should be without getting it horribly wrong? Exactly HOW do I go faster when, despite understanding the mechanics, I am scared I will mess up and crash?

I've tried following my husband on his bike and I believe I am a bit faster then - like he's "pulling me through" the corner. Are there other ways I could get better?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    rider training days at a trackday.
    if youre scared to ride faster than you do, and your mates are giving you shit for it - well its time to get some new friends

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ride more.

And you probably aren't as relaxed as you think

Ride a bit more. And then some more.
    Then get training.

Repeat these steps up to the day you die. Winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Why not try to make your cornering as smooth as you can? Speed can wait, and will come with experience. Get some training to recognise the vanishing point, that will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    So does anyone have any ideas as to HOW I could get faster cornering? I realise this means getting more lean angle but HOW do you determine what it should be without getting it horribly wrong? Exactly HOW do I go faster when, despite understanding the mechanics, I am scared I will mess up and crash?
    The only thing I can tell you is what helps me - I know for a fact the bike is capable of more than I'm giving it, given ideal conditions. The same is true ten-fold of your triple. So just twist the throttle a little more, push a little harder on the inside bar and lean. The more you do it the more relaxed you'll feel that the bike isn't going to lose traction or go crazy.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    The fear is lack of confidence. Lack of confidence is due to lack of experience. Experience is gained through riding more.
    Your bike will lean far further than you imagine, the limiting factor is your experience and confidence.

ride more, ride with others, have a go at one track training day.....you will be amazed

as a side note, fear mess's with riding style, you need to be relaxed to ride smoothly and controlled

Bike
    Dont have one now
    ^^^^dont listen to anything this fuckin puddin says

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Keep riding. I'm fairly new to it, been riding for a month now, i know the bike can go a lot faster, but i'm not ready to yet. More seat time is key imho, the more time you spend doing the things, the easier the things are to do

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    ^^^^dont listen to anything this fuckin puddin says
    In this instance I think Cassina is pretty much bang on the money.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Haha! Katman's got a new mate! Priceless!

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    In this instance I think Cassina is pretty much bang on the money.
    Dont encourage him

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I'd suggest you actually slow down so it's easy peasy and relaxed . Forget the speedo and just focus on being smooth and relaxed and feeling like you have lots of time. After a while you may find you are riding faster through the corners, or not; just ride and learn at a pace that suits you and makes you smile.

I had a while off the bike and then got it out and did 800ks in a day last week. I just took it easy, but by the end of the day I was cornering smoothly and faster than I was when I set off...even with the addition of rain.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    TF125
    You're in Wellington, yes?

Go and ride over the Rimutaka Hill. By yourself. At your own pace. Do this at least 4 times in quick succession. Then do it all over again another day. Focus on smooth, fast comes later.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Haha! Katman's got a new mate! Priceless!
    How old are you?

10?

Thread Information