Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning from accidents

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I bet you trust other motorists everyday but just don't realize it. Unless there is a crash barrier between you and traffic coming the other way you are trusting them and they are trusting you not to cross the centre line whether you like it or not. If there is a crash barrier the trust is shifted to the barrier is it not otherwise no roads would need barriers now would they?
    Ah, Na!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I bet you trust other motorists everyday but just don't realize it. Unless there is a crash barrier between you and traffic coming the other way you are trusting them and they are trusting you not to cross the centre line whether you like it or not. If there is a crash barrier the trust is shifted to the barrier is it not otherwise no roads would need barriers now would they?
    When traffic is approaching me from the opposite direction I'm constantly scanning for any erratic driving amongst it.

It's called looking for clues.

And no, my entire attention is not focused solely on that approaching traffic. I have the ability to scan the side of the road on my side at the same time.

It's really not that hard - you just have to train yourself to do it.

You should try it.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    shit can happen faster than you have time to brake so what good is your scanning then?
    Can it!

10mfch
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I would actually be too frightened to ride if I felt like you and shit can happen faster than you have time to brake so what good is your scanning then?
    Do you really see no value in scanning your surroundings for hazards when you're riding?

Bike
    Several old ones

Things to watch out for.

[QUOTE=Katman;1130826793]When traffic is approaching me from the opposite direction I'm constantly scanning for any erratic driving amongst it.

Yeah while we are on surviving, watch the car parked on the side of the road, Parked I say, nah probably waiting for a gap to do a U turn, straight in front of the motor bike they cannot see.?
    Happened to me on the coro loop a few years ago, fortunately I was told by someone some time ago you dont watch the car move, you watch its front wheel, if the wheel turns or move, watch out, it is easier to see than the slight movement of the body of a car, in my case it did, which gave me the split second of a headsup chance to swing just wide of the u turning car at the last second.
    I afterwards realised that advice may have saved my life. Yes some already know this but others dont, it what this thread is all about

Rocketman has now re-spread the word. Am I a preacher?. Who cares, If enough riders read this then, after all that have read this, then many years it may save one life, then thats enough for me. Makes me feel better.

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    I would actually be too frightened to ride if I felt like you and shit can happen faster than you have time to brake so what good is your scanning then?
    We have heard it all before in a number of other threads!! You are still wrong. Hazard identification is a huge part of motorcycling!!!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Mine
    But if everyone had your mind/clue reading ability sport there would be no accidents now would there? Just because you have that ability it does not mean everyone else has it too.
    Perfect example of a fixed mindset.

Everyone with enough brain power to ride can develop this ability. It's not inherited.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    shit can happen faster than you have time to brake
    You have no idea just how fast a well trained sub-conscious brain can be.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    XR200
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post

I've seen people, who I think are fairly intelligent, ride at 100 km/h at a distance of less then 2 m behind a car to overtake as soon as it's clear. At that speed they won't even be able to react if something happens, not to mention be able to brake or swerve.
    Yes well said. Done that.

But its so damned easy to be looking 100m down the road while riding close on that back bumper. With 70bhp on your throttle you don't even register that the car might momentarily slow or change direction.

I shudder thinking about it.

Bike
    Mine
    I do it to a point but as I said if I took it as serious as you I would give up riding.
    If you gave it a chance I think you'd find differently. I don't even know I'm doing it.

My view perhaps comes about due to the fact that in all the bad accidents I have been in which number about 4 in 35 years things happened too fast to even brake let alone have time to scan.
    And if you'd been scanning you would've seen the situation developing earlier and more than likely been able to avoid it.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    My view perhaps comes about due to the fact that in all the bad accidents I have been in which number about 4 in 35 years things happened too fast to even brake let alone have time to scan.
    Then you should learn to scan better.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    But as I have said many times before if it was as easy as you guys make out there would be no crashes by anyone now would there? I came to grief the same way as you but now just ride the centre line to hopefully buy me more time if a parked car is on the side of the road idling. I could not see myself looking down to see the wheels turning while at the same time not causing a car following me to rear end me.
    OMFG

When I think I cant be surprised by you anymore...

How does an action that doesnt even require your head to move make you do something that effects the vehicle behind you ?
    Last edited by Luckylegs; 4th February 2015 at 21:27. Reason: Accidentally crediting someone else with Cassinas stupidity

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I could not see myself looking down to see the wheels turning while at the same time not causing a car following me to rear end me.
    You really should give up on motorcycling.

Bike
    TF125
    And motorcycle forums.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I am happy to enjoy the ride and i bet if I do ever come to grief it will not be as a result of a lack of scanning.
    Fifth time lucky then?

Thread Information