Thread: 1995 Ducati 900ss review

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

1995 Ducati 900ss review

I bought the 900ss about a year and 7,000 miles (yes miles) ago. I've had to do a lot of rebuilding on it, have taken it for some back country days, haven't toured yet.
    Limitations as a reviewer: haven't ridden that many bikes and certainly haven't ridden that many modern bikes. I took a Honda Firestorm for a test ride, that's about the limits of my sportsbike experiences.

So, the basics: it's an old-school, lightweight, moderately powered street bike with a forward riding position. The engine is the classic air-cooled Ducati L-twin with desmo valve gear, and the series 91 through 97 are carbureted (remember those?) so there's no ECU or similar. It's simple. That simplicity is one of the major reasons I chose it. It's also light, as compared to most modern bikes of similar cc rating. I can manage the bike when parking and when rolling slow, or doing parking stuff on angled driveways and so on.

It's 900 cc, but the right way to look at that is that it's fun. It's not fast, any modern bike of similar displacement will eat it alive in any head-to-head contest, and it's not particularly fast handling by modern standards either. Horsepower and speed junkies will need to go somewhere else to get their fix. The twin disks and four-pot Brembo calipers are alright, though.

There's mid-range torque galore, great Ducati soundtrack, and the classic trellis frame for looks. How you respond to the leftover '80s cues in the styling is up to you of course... I'm ambivalent about the squared off headlight, but I like the flowing curves of the fairing, the colour matching between silver frame and red bodywork, the old-school look to the bike.

It's (relatively) easy to work on. I've found that a lot of people are flat-out paranoid about working on Dukes - I've found it easier and more intuitive than any Honda I've owned, but maybe that's just me. To my mind, it's a simple layout, and if you're getting into something, usually you don't have to undo a dozen things that are in the way first. You have to take the fairing side panel off to top up the oil, you have to undo the rear shock at it's top pivot to check one exhaust valve shim, but that's about the worst of it. It's possible to do nearly all the scary bits of work yourself, like shimming valves, changing camshaft belts and so on, without dropping a fortune on special tools.

People like it. I get a lot of guys (and some gals) checking the bike out when I ride. Joe Public responds positively to it, both riding and having a chat roadside.

The riding position might be a little cramped for most people and wrists start protesting fast unless you ride at the highway limit, using slipstream to keep the weight off the bars. Fuel consumption is surprisingly good, meaning you've got decent range in the back country.

If you're shopping for one... first, test ride before taking the plunge (I meant it about the slightly cramped position, it really isn't for everyone), and check for cracks. The aluminium swingarms on the SP's crack, and so do the frames, on the top tubes at the steering head welds. The fix for the frame is a triangular gusset plate, welded in behind the top head bearing. You'll find it by unlatching and lifting the fuel tank. The gusset will be what the tank latch hook plate is screwed to. If it isn't there, it's just a matter of time before the frame starts to go and you've got a big headache. Been there, done that... I had to strip the bike down to the frame, have it rewelded and repainted, and then rebuild. Also check for muffler modifications. It's very popular to open the mufflers up and remove some of the packing, to let some of those great sounds out. Unfortunately that really screws with the motor's breathing. Again, been there, done that... it ran a LOT better after I repacked the mufflers. Smoother at low rev's, didn't have weird blips in the powerband while accelerating, stopped bogging out at high revs. Some flatslide carbs helped with power, too.

Overall it's a fun bike and I'm having a great time on it.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    You missed out about galley plug and head studs
    They are pretty much bullet proof if you follow standard maintenance schedules

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I've had 3 mid 90's Supersports in the last 6 months.
    Got a 600SS off a mate and it was great fun and went well, suspension was budget and not really worth upgrading.
    Sold that easily as its a LAMS bike.
    Next was a well sorted 95 900ss with a Nitron rear shock that really improves the ride.
    Currently have a 94 Superlight with Termi's and FCR's
    Liking the lack of ECU, FI and other junk I don't need.
    I really like the mid range and have no need for a really powerful bike as I only have about 50-60 HP of ability.
    Had an injected one a few years back but was not that keen on the riding position or the styling.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Had an injected one a few years back but was not that keen on the riding position or the styling.
    They uglied them up at the end of the nineties
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I've had 3 mid 90's Supersports in the last 6 months.
    Got a 600SS off a mate and it was great fun and went well, suspension was budget and not really worth upgrading.
    Sold that easily as its a LAMS bike.
    Next was a well sorted 95 900ss with a Nitron rear shock that really improves the ride.
    Currently have a 94 Superlight with Termi's and FCR's
    Liking the lack of ECU, FI and other junk I don't need.
    I really like the mid range and have no need for a really powerful bike as I only have about 50-60 HP of ability.
    Nice going! I agree with you on the styling - the carbies are good to look at, the injected ones are just horrible. Ride position makes sense only on a dedicated track bike.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quick update, at 52,500 miles...

Paint on the motor is definitely looking its age, fairing's just starting to show fading. Gravel spray areas of the fairing are getting chipped. Otherwise the bike's aging pretty well.

I've thrown some upgrades at it:

Apex Manufacturing adjustable clip-ons - fantastic, much better than the OEM Tomaselli's. The Apex units went on with no mods needed. They're a bit wider than the OEM units as well and have really helped with muscling the bike into corners.

Oxford heated grips - a bit narrow for my hands at first but I got used to them. Easy to install and the latest generation will turn themselves off if you park up and leave them running. Very nice to have in winter.

Keihin FCR41 carburettors - somewhat more involved to fit than I'd expected. Airbox has to be cut if you want to keep it, and I ended up making adaptor plates to lengthen the carburettor intake adaptors so that the airbox sealed properly against sand / grit etc (yes, there was a petrol flooding issue due to grit under the needle valve).
    Slight increase in power (seat-of-pants dyno), massive increase in rideability on the street. You get a lot more control at low RPM than is possible with the OEM Mikunis. The FCR41's are better in basically every way except one: it's possible to stall the motor if you whack the throttle open too fast. Hasn't happened to me though. There's a bit of an intake whistle when you take the throttle to more than 1/8th, but it's pretty easy to get used to.
    Great mod. Well worth doing.

Ca Cycleworks coils and leads - another increase in rideability on the street. The OEM coils were getting on a bit and I had started to have issues with the bike running badly in cold and humid conditions. It's much smoother with these in place, again at low RPMs.

Bridgestone S20 Evo tyres deserve a mention - these have been fantastic, even if they're a bit pricey in terms of cost versus lifetime. The last set I had lasted about 8,000 km. The bike feels rock solid through corners, I've never had more confidence throwing a bike around on a twisty road.

One mod that didn't work out was to buy a Corbin seat. This cost $700 landed, took about six weeks to get here, and turned out to be horrible. It's made for a wide backside and has edges at either side, with all the padding of a plank. It lasted just ten kilometers before I reverted to the stock seat. The stocker is dome-curved, but is actually pretty good to use if you like to shift weight for corners.

I'm still very happy with the bike, here's to more riding.

Thread Information