Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's happened to all the track day threads?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by clmintie View Post
    Hi Frosty, nice to hear from you the other day. Yes Trackdays are alive and well. I go to most of them at Hampton Downs with cameras, have a look here www.clmintiepix.co.nz and you'll get an idea of who and what sort of bikes and riders attend. very well organised by the guys at http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php and a great place to hang out... See you there soon...
    Looks like ill be there on the 27th all going to plan
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Jim I find myself in the situation of both agreeing with you and disagreeing with you at exactly the same time.
    I think he guts of it is that It comes down to what the individual rider is prepared to put into the track day and what they are wanting to get out of it.
    Remember we are talking TRACK day not race day.
    For an inexperienced rider particularly a track day can be an invaluable LOCATION to practice skills that you NEED in emergency situations on the road. Finding just how hard you can brake when you need to. How far you can lean your bike. Use of front n rear brake correctly. And a bunch of other skills . All of which you just would not want to practice on the road with trucks,ditches etc around.
    The PROBLEM is that most of the very riders I'm talking about then think they are "riding gods"
    Thinking that the new skills the have learned are ALL the skills they need. -IE that being able to brake to stop with tail waggling in the air. WORSE because they now have a skill they think they should use it.
    Without the tempering you are referring to -IE without the other equally important skills.
    BUT I say don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Those skills are still valuable skills. The important part needed and missing is blending those skills together with all the other survival skills a rider needs to ride safely on the road. Or Translating those skills into road use.
    I see it like this. A rider is like a tradesman. There's time and place to make use of a big ol sledgehammer and equally time and place for a fine electrical screwdriver . A good tradesman has the range of tools in his toolbox and equally has the experience to know the time and place to use each tool.
    Now we are talking the same lingo.
    Get the basics right
    track day - add to skills
    gain experience about when/how to use them

all for road use. it isnt a race track.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Maha, when was the last time you or anyone else critiqued your riding? My self-assessment is daily and in all weathers :humble:

Btw, Prorider Ride Forever Gold and Silver courses are a good day out and provide an invaluable opportunity for coaching and feedback on general roadcraft. Chris Smith is an excellent coach and the student coach ratio is only 4:1 :up:
    Self assessment is important but easy to fall into a bad habit, I reckon having somebody follow you is a good thing for feedback.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Rubbish. What you learn at a instructed track day gives you road skills. Maybe you have been to the wrong ones.

They teach how to look through a turn, how to chose a good line, how to brake effectively, how to change gear effectively etc

The main thing it gives you is tools to get you out of trouble on the road.

It is not Roadcraft training of course as with a good road surface and no other cars on the track they cant teach that.
    I agree.
    I've done track days, raced and ridden road.
    My opinion is that it makes me far more aware and far more wary on the road. I have no need to race at any speed on the road as that thrill is sorted on the track. I have a more relaxed riding attitude due to the track experience ( CSS ). It's the science of the teaching that helps in many ways.
    I'm sure many others would benefit from some track time with the right tutors. You also have to listen and learn, it's not about getting out there after the lecture and giving it shit.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    You should give it a try, never know you may learn a heap.
    Or end up in one....
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Maha, when was the last time you or anyone else critiqued your riding?
    I guess we know the answer to that now.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I guess we know the answer to that now.
    ...care to enlighten me?

Bike
    Honda
    Got a Playdays email with upcoming dates. They've also arranged for KSS to be at some of their events which is pretty cool. Contact Ed 021 951 448.

edit:: KSS (Kiwi Suspension Solutions) not CSS (Cali Superbike School)

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    I got a notice about a play day for the 22nd Feb....I mean really?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SPP View Post
    Got a Playdays email with upcoming dates. They've also arranged for CSS to be at some of their events which is pretty cool. Contact Ed 021 951 448.
    I didnt get that and normally do. I will be up for the 27th. Whats the Big Bike day out like? Any different to a normal day?

Bike
    Honda
    I didnt get that and normally do. I will be up for the 27th. Whats the Big Bike day out like? Any different to a normal day?
    Dunno, never been to one. I think they're back to back days and they put on a BBQ, band and beers.

edit: I like twilight sessions too. I parked the bike up over summer but got out to last weeks one. Sure is busier these days.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SPP View Post
    Dunno, never been to one. I think they're back to back days and they put on a BBQ, band and beers.

edit: I like twilight sessions too. I parked the bike up over summer but got out to last weeks one. Sure is busier these days.
    How many runs do you get at a Twilight one?

Bike
    Honda
    How many runs do you get at a Twilight one?
    Four, they're a little shorter as well I think.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 K6
    Yes track days seem limited this year, an lack of advert not sure why?

Check out post in Meetings about Dave Moss for track days too, Dave is a suspension guru from USA who talks in ENGLISH and does not care what bike/suspesnon/track/road/dirt you ride on or were he will help make your bike safer, easier to ride giveing you more smiles.

Get into this guys and girls he is good, check him out on google, you tube, or FB or at www.feelthetrack.com.
    Manawatu Tag-o-rama score : LXV

DAVE MOSS "I'll BE BACK" WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE INFO OF DATES AND VENUES FOR 2015 VISIT, DM here from 18 Feb to 9 March, look on Meetings for info.

Quote "A closed mouth gathers no feet"

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
    Yes track days seem limited this year, an lack of advert not sure why?

Check out post in Meetings about Dave Moss for track days too, Dave is a suspension guru from USA who talks in ENGLISH and does not care what bike/suspesnon/track/road/dirt you ride on or were he will help make your bike safer, easier to ride giveing you more smiles.

Get into this guys and girls he is good, check him out on google, you tube, or FB or at www.feelthetrack.com.
    I believe its a lack of clear advertising. Most think its a go out and race day.

I had a brief conversation with Dave on FB about the March the 8th ride. Sadly I can get no interest in it. Must let him know.

Thread Information