Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow ropes for bikes - had to push a bike lately?

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    couple of hundred meter push is just a warm-up.

Pushed my 1st road bike after dropping a plug through the piston close to 10kms from Prebbleton to the middle of Riccarton to avoid the wrath of the old man. Couple of years later pushed a XT yammy from Port levy back to Charteris Bay with a flat tire (probably close to 15kms or so). And last time I had push a bike was a XS750 & that was about 4kms.

Towed a few bikes...... a Commando towed from Little River back to ChCh using a leather belt looped around the grab rail whilst the guy the commando held on to the free end. Towed a Darmah from Dommett back to Greta Valley by same method. Towed started a YZ426 behind a ute after it refused to fire-up by any other method; an interesting moment or two when it did kick into life

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Must be easier than pushing.
    Keep petrol in the tank. Easier than towing ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Had to push my bike GSXR for a couple of hundred metres, when it ran out of petrol just short of civilisation.
    Fark... is that hard work or what, especially in full riding gear on a hot day, and that was on the flat.
    200m would have been my limit I think.
    Got me thinking has anyone ever tried to tow a bike with another bike, and or carry a rope / strop for that purpose?
    Must be easier than pushing.
    Shuda asked the Harley riders how they get on. According to everyone that has never owned one, they either get towed, loaded or left behind.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Shuda asked the Harley riders how they get on. According to everyone that has never owned one, they either get towed, loaded or left behind.

Haha, bling well blung for that one!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    All the towing our lot have done has been front bike right foot peg to towed bike left footpeg.
    This keeps the pull low and bikes very stable, also uses the staggered formation to avoid rear ending the front bike. Depending upon the terrain the towed bike needs to look ahead, drag the brakes lightly at the start and often more coming to bends to keep the tension in the rope and cut down on the big snatches as with car towing.
    Only wrap the rope or strap around the foot peg once and hold it on with your foot, if you need to release the rope just lift your foot of it. One small point to realise is on dirt and adventure bikes you may need to wrap something around the peg first so that the serrations don't lock the rope in place. Street bikes generally don't seem to have serrated pegs. Much better than having the rope pulling up high and also trying to turn your handlebars.
    I always carry a rope now having done it myself and been in groups where it's been done about 7 or 8 times, last time being about 20km a couple of weeks ago.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    . What is worse I did it while the wife reminded me we should have stopped asap after reserve.
    You pushed while she nagged??? I'd fix that if I was you ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    couple of hundred meter push is just a warm-up.
    Reckon.

I've had to push a few bikes over the years - almost always due to running out of gas. The most memorable was when I borrowed my sister's boyfriend's CB350, which I frequently did when he visited. Didn't have a licence then, but that didn't matter much. I was a few miles from home when it spluttered to a halt. I knew about the 'reserve' function, but wasn't sure which way the lever went, and didn't crank it for long enough in any position to verify it was the right one. So, I mostly pushed it home. We lived near the top of a long hill, so I was buggered (and very late) when I got home.
    Sister's bf was not impressed at me taking so long.
    I was not impressed when he listened to me gasping out my sad tale of woe, opened the tank cap, shook the bike from side-to-side, turned the gas tap, pushed the starter, and rode off.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Nope she was carrying a coffee and emasculating me verbally. She still thinks that works but I have the 120sec tone out self defence system that men develop.
    The medical term is "Husbands Ear"

Very wide spread problem
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Thread Information