Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Waikato rides

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Arthur, thank you. ( Maybe )
    You keep reminding me how much I love that part of the country.
    Auckland just doesn't cut the mustard any more.
    Keep the rides, and photo's coming.
    It's great to see scenery I recognise, while stuck in this rat race.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfeaturesFZR View Post
    Arthur, thank you. ( Maybe )
    You keep reminding me how much I love that part of the country.
    Auckland just doesn't cut the mustard any more.
    Keep the rides, and photo's coming.
    It's great to see scenery I recognise, while stuck in this rat race.
    Torbay is most certainly not the great place it was in the late 70's early 80's. Hiding from truancy officers in the tunnel at the top of the tor at little Waiake beach, ah the memories.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Torbay is most certainly not the great place it was in the late 70's early 80's. Hiding from truancy officers in the tunnel at the top of the tor at little Waiake beach, ah the memories.
    Theres a council sign on the Tor these days advising that rocks might drop down, and it could be dangerous.
    Really ?
    Who'd have thought ?
    When we were kids we'd figured that out for ourselves, Meh.
    I find theres a wee bit more common sense out of Auckland.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Hunua Range Ride.

Friday morning and the weather was not particularly friendly looking. The sky was blocked out by the clouds but the lady with the big boobies on TV had assured us that the day would be fine and no rain was likely, so Bill and I left his home in Lemmington a bit after 8am and rode off towards the east. With no sun breaking through it was quite chilly. I stopped in Morrinsville to get some warmth into my legs. I was quite cold. Bill had dressed for the cold, I had dressed for the warm sunny day that was ‘going to arrive’. Bill has been riding for 65 years and has learnt a thing or two. I’ve only been riding for 46 years and appear to be somewhat of a slow learner.
    Approaching Te Aroha and the TV tower behind the township looked quite neat as the clouds swirled past it. By the time I had decided that I would get a photo the clouds had dispersed a bit so my pic doesn’t look as good as 10 minutes earlier.

Next town after Te Aroha is Paeroa. A car showroom caught my eye and I snapped this Mercury through the window.

At the other end of the main street we pulled up for a brief break.

The Rotunda was built in 1906 and originally had a moat around it. A concert was held in the Rotunda as part of the opening ceremony. Nowadays concerts are held in stadiums.
    It was about this time (today, not 1906) that the sun finally hit the ground. Leaving Paeroa we aimed for Ngatea. Just out of Paeroa is a little marine type museum. One day I will take some time to have a good browse around this place. At Ngatea we turned right onto Pipiroa road which runs through to SH25. Left here then at Waitakaruru right onto Front Miranda road. Either side of the road is flat land not much higher than the Firth of Thames estury. A couple of years ago,(well, quite a few years ago) all what we know as the Hauraki Plains was sea bed. Not a lot of birdlife to be seen but world reknown as a bird sanctury when various seabirds migrate from as far away as Siberia and Alaska. How the first birds ever picked the Firth of Thames over Bali, Fiji, Gold Coast etc has me beat. It might have been the sea food menu at Kaiaua. A mixture of fish, oysters, squid rings, salad chips made for a pleasant lunch. The sun never burst into life for long throughout the ride.
    We continued up the coast road. There was not a lot of traffic and the pace was an easy cruising speed. I tried at a few places for some photos but with the tide out and little sun about we stuck to enjoying the ride. Turned off at Orere Point. A short ride down to the bay. . A stoney beach which Bill said was trucked in many years ago to help form a launching pad for boats. Bill remembers coming down here as a youngster when it was simply grass and gravel roads with a walking track down the bank.
    One looking out towards the islands of the Hauraki Gulf.

One all round good buggar,

Bill got his bike licence back in 1953, after his apprenticeship, he and a mate took their bikes over to Aussie and spent a year working and riding around. His was a Triumph Tiger 100, his mates, a Matchless twin. Bill turns 80 in the next month or so but is still riding like a young fella, We stick to a sensible speed and enjoy the rides. No big dramas, plenty of yarns at the stops.
    From here we carried on towards Kawakawa bay. Got this photo of the bay.

The road between Kawakawa and Clevedon was great. Lots of winding road, corners, native reserve on both sides. We refueled at Clevedon then turned onto Monument road. This climbs through the farmland that spreads back up the foothills of the Hunua ranges.
    In 1863 William Jackson raised a company of Forest Rangers based from Clevedon to patrol the Hunua Ranges and engage the Maori forces that were threatening the Auckland province. This company was to operate for three months only due to finance restraints. My Great Grandfather William James Raven was one of these original rangers. Von Tempsky accompanied Jacksons originals as a correspondent before forming his own company of rangers later. Cruising over smooth sealed roads making crossing the gullys and ridges a breeze it is easy to ignore the conditions that travelling on foot through mud, rain, steep ridges, unmarked tracks must have been like.
    Bill took the lead along here and soon turned off onto Falls road leading into the Hunua Ranges. We pulled up at the Hunua Fall car park which must have been sold to the Chinese, going by the number of Asians all armed with Iphones. Bill told of winding their way over narrow washed out gravell roads to finish up at grassy flat before taking a track through the scrub to view the falls. Now it is painted car parks and raised wooden paths. A bridge across the stream gives a nice view of the falls.

From here we rode back out to the turn off to Cosseys Dam. Narrow and overhung from native pungas and trees this sealed road winds its way over a saddle and down to the Cossey Dam. The road is blocked off to vehicles here and as it was a wee walk down to the dam face, we were not too keen to leave the bikes and helmets that long.
    Following Bill on the Cossey Access road.

Back out on White road we carried on until a roadside general store where we took a short break. Through Hunua village and along Hunua road and onto Paparimu road. All good roads, light traffic untill making our way onto SH2. The rest of the ride was fairly boring. From here we found SH27, passed through Tahuna and into Morrinsville. Back to Bills home, a cup of coffee and then my last stint to TeAwamutu. For me, the distance was 410k. A great ride over roads I had not been over for many years. It is Saturday as I’m writing this and the rain hasn’t stopped. Glad we went yesterday.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Nice way to waste, oops, spend a day... any excuse to consolidate one's riding skills...

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

Heavy rain and lightning/thunder here this morning...

Bike
    Assorted British
    Nice ride report (as always) Arthur. You'll be glad you did the ride yesterday and not today otherwise you would have needed a jet ski and not a motorbike. How are you finding the new bike after all those past miles on the scoot?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Another good write up.

Used to swim at the falls when I was a youngster, don't know if I would be keen to swim there now though.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Nice ride report (as always) Arthur. You'll be glad you did the ride yesterday and not today otherwise you would have needed a jet ski and not a motorbike. How are you finding the new bike after all those past miles on the scoot?
    The bike is way better in most regards. Where I would prefer the scooter is on gravel. The scoot gave much more feedback than the cruiser. One job I am going to do to the virago is change the rear brake pedal position. The pedal pad is way to high. I have a groin muscle problem and lifting the whole weight of my right leg up in a hurry to get over the pedal is a slow sore move. The pedal is not a simple spline on shaft setup so some ingenuity will be called for.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Lake Whakamaru Ride.

Roads to Lake Whakamaru.
    As it is supposed to be raining tomorrow I decided to get in a ride today. Fuelled up and rolled on out to Wharepapa south. Plenty of people having a go at the rock climbing that is quite popular in this district. Past the school and instead of the usuall route to Mangakino I continued along Aotearoa road. Quite narrow and tight corners but in good condition. Part way along I stopped to photograph this rock. I am quoting from memory here, but I believe this chap was once a great Maori chief who was turned to stone and left to guard the valley behind him.

I will check the story out tomorrow and amend this text to be sure of getting my story right. I’m writing this tonight so haven’t done my homework properly.
    A few k’s on and Aotearoa road becomes gravel and winds up and over a saddle to drop down into the Ngaroma district. Some tight corners made for a fairly sedate pace but I was there for the scenery anyway. This is a still from my GoPro camera.

Here is looking back towards Maungatautari.

Trying to be a trendy type with the camera, looking through a rather high deer fence gate.

The road went from narrow to narrowER! As it passed through the Arohena Scenic reserve. Wasn’t long and it was back onto the seal and along Wairehi road and then Waipapa road. I stopped at the dam but this has been photographed so many times so I wont post a picture of this lake. No traffic anywhere on this road, I crusied into Mangakino and pulled up at the lake edge. Along here somewhere under the water is a road bridge built across the Waikato river to connect with the Tokoroa road. The bridge was left in place when the dam was finished and the lake was formed. My father drove a RD8 Caterpillar bulldozer over this bridge in 1946/7. He and my uncle drove the RD8 from Arohena mill to Mokai. They re-crossed the Waikato at Ongaroto near Aitimuri. With the pines cut down across the lake a lot of the scenic view has gone. Crossing the Mangakino river , I turned the bike around and went back to get this photo looking down towards the lake. I had never noticed the swinging bridge before.

I carried on to Whakamaru for a coffee and light meal.
    After a spell I rode on over the dam and down the Ongaroto road. A short way along and pulled off down by a boat ramp/picnic area. A white cross at the lake edge marks a tragic moment for someone.

Carrying on, I kept an eye out for any opportunities for a photo shot. I stopped at the steps built as part of the national cycle way. In a earlier report I posted a photo taken from the first set of steps looking back along the bluffs. This is similar but from at the top of the climb. Not funny when you’re an overweight geriatric in heavy riding gear.

This is looking over the lake from the same spot.

Back on the bike and a bit further on, was a lakeside camping area. I tried to find some nice views of the lake but the growth along the edge hampered me a bit. This is the bike having a breather.

I did get this view from small gap in the undergrowth.

At this stage the clouds were building up and I could see the sun would be gone for good so decided to return the way I had come. Saw a potential photo opportunity and climbed up a bank to take one more picture.

It was from here that I saw something that killed the day for me. Across the lake.

Right on the lake edge under the pine covered cliffs. Two houses were already in place. The beauty of Lake Whakamaru for me has been the total lack of intrusive lakeside housing. The lake has always been for the most part as it was when it was first formed. I know the lake is man made but it has always been something special to me. I have drifted down the lake fly fishing, sat on the rocks and soaked up the sounds and sights of the birdlife. Now the almighty dollar has pushed its way in. So, in a mood to match the grey sky I crusied on back home. It was still a great days ride, but seeing the developers moving in was saddening.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    A couple of extra photos.

Looking up stream from the Mangakino river bridge.

The dam end of the lake.

Another view of the steps.

Winter colours at the campsite.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Good to meet you today Arthur and Bill, I have subscribed to this thread, enjoy the rest of the ride, look forward to more photo's.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    What a lovely surprise to see you guys parked up at Whakamaru today. It was really great to be able to put a face to a name. You certainly picked a boomer day for a ride. Looking forward to todays ride report. I am subscribed to this thread as well, and look forward to reading more about what you get up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

A Winter Ride.

It was good to meet up with you two as well. Anyway, here's the report of todays ride. Not too many photos but as I explain was too chilly to stop and start all the time.

I woke up to a light frost and clear skies, so our ride was still on. Got to Bill’s place about 10am and headed off up the Maungatautari road. We were both dressed for the cold weather and it wasn’t a particulaly cold day but neither of us really warmed up throughout the ride. At the junction of Plantation and Maungatautari roads is a pleasant man made farm pond. We pulled up and I tried for a photo of the pond through the trees.

Bill waiting patiently.

Moving on along Oreipunga road, the country looked lovely. The sharpness of the sun, green paddocks and even the bare winter trees made for pleasant views out over the Arapuni district. The drop down to the Waitete stream was shaded and the frost still on the ground. Both Bill and I are too long in the tooth to go trying to out ride our skills on ice so we took thing quietly through all the shaded sections that still harboured ice.
    We stopped at Arapuni dam to warm up a bit.

From here we ducked up Darby road and right onto Lake road. Lots of wide sweeping corners and scenic country to Te Waotu. This ride we carried on along the Wilstdown road. Warm out in the farmland and much colder in the latter half when in the shade of the pine plantations with the road surface still carrying a frost.

Right onto the Old Taupo road and its amazing to see the land being root raked and smoothed off for dairy conversion. This has always been pine country to me. The Radiata Pine is going to make the endangered species list if this conversion keeps going.
    Out along the Tok – Whakamaru road and again the large scale of clearing the pine plantations is going on. Whether this gets replanted or converted I don’t know. The road lifts up from the twin lakes and usually you can see across the cleared pines to Mangakino. This morning a huge fog bank rose above the lake and spread across to the road. With the fog on the right and the sun on the left it was a nice scene. I would’ve stopped to take a photo but it was too bloody cold!! Thankfully it cleared as we rode down to the dam and pulled up at the Whakamaru café. It was wonderfull to pull off the gloves and get some feeling back into my fingers. Bill harping on about his heated grips didn’t help. That aside, Bill was just as pleased to get off the bike and warm up.
    Sitting in the sun having coffee and hot pies, we soon warmed up. Then we were approached by a couple of locals. Maha and Mom had seen the bikes and came over to introduce themselves. It was really neat to meet up with them and swap a few stories. I have met very few other KB members so it was nice to chat. A pleasant couple. We talked away for a good spell before deciding to carry on. Down the road we turned left and rode on towards Bennydale. I did not stop to take any more photos as I just couldn’t settled or get warm. Have added a few stills from the GoPro. This is from the ‘reserve along Scott road. It really is nothing more than a few mottely Rimus that were either dead or dying and weren’t worth dropping when the native logging was in full swing. The road from here to Bennydale has improved from the metal road that I used to travel over back in the ‘70’s.

You can see the freeloader clinging to the top of the camera lense. Buggar didn’t even have a helmet.
    After Bennydale there are some great pieces of winding corners. Even with only 250cc it was fun to flick the bike through the bends. Just before Tekuiti.

I re fueled in Tekuiti and we decided to stick to the main drag for the run back to Te Awamutu. It was a great ride with sunshine, frosts and a bit of fog. 258k all up. It was especially good to spend time talking to a couple of other members of the forum.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    The Northern Odyssey followed a number of those roads, really nice riding and the temperature was far more agreeable when we came through that way... OK, it was February...

Nice photos, like the one along Wiltsdown Rd. Something about bare trees against a blue sky...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    It was really chilly out and about around here this morning. When we went out for groceries at 10:30 it had almost tipped 2 degrees. The fog was really thick and the frost was halfway up the trees! There was no frost on the ground thanks to the fog, but we still had ice on the top of our letterbox! I take my hat off to you both riding towards us at this time of the year. Really loved meeting you both. Next time come for a coffee at ours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Thread Information