Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Waikato rides

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    It was really chilly out and about around here this morning. When we went out for groceries at 10:30 it had almost tipped 2 degrees. The fog was really thick and the frost was halfway up the trees! There was no frost on the ground thanks to the fog, but we still had ice on the top of our letterbox! I take my hat off to you both riding towards us at this time of the year. Really loved meeting you both. Next time come for a coffee at ours...
    It would still be minus 5 at that time here in paradise ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    The Northern Odyssey followed a number of those roads, really nice riding and the temperature was far more agreeable when we came through that way... OK, it was February...

Nice photos, like the one along Wiltsdown Rd. Something about bare trees against a blue sky...
    Got to agree with Mom, Maha and Moi.
    This is the best time and weather for this type of riding, wish I had more time to do stuff like this.
    And I am going to do the NO 2016 again. This time I will be more prepared
    Great Thread Post and pics Awa love this part of KB, you travellers rock
    I am including others like Jatz, KoroJ and Tazz too in this group

(I gotta learn how to attach pics once I get some worth while to post)

Come on FJRider, -5 isn't that bad and I thought you lived in paradise
    it's the damp AKL weather that is bad. I like the crisp winter days down south of the Bombay passport control office

keep them posts coming, it's like I am there too, even though I cant.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

PNG v JPEG Quality.

After answering a query about up loading photos this morning, I started wondering why I didn't use the PNG format as opposed to the JPEG format that is the norm. (as an experiment). The png is supposed to be the 'lossless' version of jpeg images.

This PNG is 1.27MB. the JPEG pic of the same size, 800 x 600 is 407KB. So the png format would certainly take up more download width.

A jpeg of the same photo. Same pixel size.

For viewing on line, the PNG doesn't produce a better picture really.
    So now I know.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Been playing with the effects within Live Movie Maker to produce something a bit different. Here's a short clip from the ride Bill and I did last Wednesday. I'm a complete bunny at this, I can't get the video to fade out at the end. Still, fun trying.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

More Back Roads.

With my wife at work until lunchtime and a sunny day I thought long and hard for about 10 seconds about With getting in one last ride before heading back to work tomorrow. On the back of a white envelope I wrote those three little words that mean so much to wives of riders everywhere, “Wont be long”, and bolted.
    Fueled up and followed SH3 out as far as Te Kawa then left onto Ngahape road. A wide road, good surface and sweeping corners. Then veering right at Mahihi onto Paewhenua road. As the saying goes, ‘shit happens’. Almost the length of this road was coated in mud and cow crap from tractors. Got to the end, turned right and rolled down to Otewa road. Lots of minor slips from the recent rain but nothing compared to the damage further down the island. I stopped at the bridge over the Waipa river. What a horrible sight. All the poplar trees have been cut down, nothing but mud, stumps and high piles of branches. This used to be a lovely scenic river.

I took a photo of the surrounding farmland.

Continuing along Otewa road the bare trees and swollen dirty river had nothing worth photographing. Before Otorohonga I turned left onto Tahaia road. This is a narrow sealed unmarked road that follows a valley with lots of prime farmland with pockets of native trees on the hillsides.

Tahaia road.

A few k’s on and it was left onto Bush road. Sealed for a short distance then gravel as the road climbed up for most of its length. Little patches of scrubby reserve lined the road for much of the way. I stopped and got this panaramic view of the country off to my right.

Another two of Bush road.

Stopping part way through a stretch of bush I pulled up to take a photo and discovered the remote for the GoPro had been shaken off the magnetic mount on the tank. I was a bit peeved off but as I had not bothered to tether the remote to the bike, had only myself to blame. A bit further and I turned around and made my way back down Bush road to Ngapeke road. Stopping at the place I had taken the above photo from, lo and behold?, there was the remote. Thankfully no traffic had followed behind me. Back at the Bush rd turnoff, Tahaia had become Ngapeke road. All gravel and fairly rough in places. The road follows a ridge and the scenery was terrific. A lot of sheep and beef farming along here.

Stopped and took this snap of a few locals.

Rolling along the surface became a lot smoother and the 250 was cranking up quite well. The speedo nudging close to the 100kph mark on the gravel before sense hit home and I backed off somewhat.
    Right onto Walker road, and this was the find of the day. I had not travelled any of these last four roads before, and Walker road was brilliant. Wide (ish), sealed and great views. The corners were cambered, the road climbed and dropped through two valleys before dropping down into Tekuiti.
    Here is looking back towards the Rangitoto ranges from Walker road.

From the same spot looking the other way.

Part way down the hill to Tekuiti I got this photo of the township nestled within the surrounding hills.

Into the town and I skirted around the main shopping centre by following the back streets to come out on Hangitiki road. More corners, no traffic, cruising heaven. I came out onto the highway at Hangitiki and rolled up to the Big Apple. A well deserved BIG ice cream, then a steady ride back home.
    If you are heading north from Tekuiti, think about a cruise along Walker road. About 10-12 k’s and if the gravel of Ngapeke road doesn’t suit you, turn around and return to Tekuiti. This road is a piece of riding heaven. Well worth looking for. Today's trip was 140 kilometers all up. The sun behaved for most of the ride, the wind was very chilly, and so was the reception back at home, but she soon settled and I get to sleep in the house tonight.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    The sun behaved for most of the ride, the wind was very chilly, and so was the reception back at home, but she soon settled and I get to sleep in the house tonight.
    Bloody Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You mad bugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    I've ridden all of those roads and as Awa says they're bloody brilliant. Great photos by the way and thanks for sharing...just reminds me I'd better get back out that way again soon. I took some Aussies over Rangitoto and Barber road a while ago and they were stoked. The scenery looking out towards the Rangitoto ranges is great and the roads are normally in good nick. The Waikato is an awesome place to live and ride and the whole place is a great back yard

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I've ridden Barber and Rangitoto a few times now, and this time I wanted to cut across the middle. I would have gone right through to the top of Bush road and along Rangitoto rd, but met a flock of sheep coming towards me. I decided to return to Ngapeke road and keep an eye out for my missing remote. Glad I did. Both Walker and Rangitoto roads have a similar outlook over Tekuiti as you come down into town.

On reflection, Walker may not be quite as great as I painted it in my report, but is still a fantastic piece of road. I hit it after a lot of gravel so that may have made it seem so good.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Mom are you refferring to the ride or the recption when he got home?

Myself, its the perfect weather for trips and the colours/atmosphere is perfect.

and I have no idea were these places are, but it prompts me to look. Instead of the std Akl to Welly blast.

Carry on Awa and others. I enjoy your trips

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Despite the chilly reception, what you did certainly beats hands down what I spend a good part of the day doing...

Superb photos...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Mom are you refferring to the ride or the recption when he got home?

Myself, its the perfect weather for trips and the colours/atmosphere is perfect.

and I have no idea were these places are, but it prompts me to look. Instead of the std Akl to Welly blast.

Carry on Awa and others. I enjoy your trips
    I prefer winter riding too. Nothing better than feeling the weight of your gear, and wiping the dew drop off the end of your nose
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    The Waikato is an awesome place to live and ride and the whole place is a great back yard
    I still refer to anywhere south of the Puniu river as The King Country. Google even has Awakino under the Waikato umbrella. To me, that is bordering on the Taranaki province. Is the term 'province' still officially used?.

Next Wednesday or Thursday, I'm hoping to ride the Marakopa- Awakino road again. I did it in January this year on my 100cc scooter. I just have to remember that in the 'King Country' the frosts can sit in those shaded corners all day. A late morning start might be in order then.

Just finished cleaning the bike after yesterday's ride involving mud and cow shit. I even got down to taking the front mudguard off and cleaning the under side. Used an old tooth brush on the front of the engine and frame. Hope the wife doesn't complain about the toothpaste. .
    Last edited by awa355; 23rd June 2015 at 13:28. Reason: update

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed this bit of Walker rd so much, I went back up to the top to ride it again.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Nice ride
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    he's back !!!

My 2 cents worth arthur.....

Ngahape Rd/Whibley Rd/Maihihi Rd/Paewhenua Rd/Otewa Rd is one of my favourite loops On Any Sunday
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Thread Information