Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Waikato rides

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    Ngahape Rd/Whibley Rd/Maihihi Rd/Paewhenua Rd/Otewa Rd is one of my favourite loops On Any Sunday
    Got to ride down to Tekuiti tomorrow afternoon for xrays. I'll look at going down one side of the main highway and coming back the other side. Should be a good clear day if we get a decent frost tonight.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I prefer winter riding too. Nothing better than feeling the weight of your gear, and wiping the dew drop off the end of your nose
    Maybe I am doing something wrong then, I only feel the weight of my gear when it's fully wet, and there hasn't been any dew on the end of my nose unless I have a cold.

perhaps I have the wrong gear....... Or maybe I ride to slow......

whatever, the closest thing I can get to riding the areas like Awa shows is via KB.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    A dripping nose is one thing, A big hoik before realizing you're wearing a full face helmet isn't much fun.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    or feeling a cockroach crawling all over your face and over your eyes while your riding isnt much fun either. I have never stopped and removed my helmet so fast.

i can usually avoid most sneezes on the ride, a good benefit of wearing a balaclava, crap catcher.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Slow to learn.

I eventually get the hang of most things. Some things take longer than others. A couple of rides ago, I mentioned loosing my gopro remote from the magnetic mount on the fuel tank. Thankfully I returned to a previous stop and found the remote with the message on the screen "".

Well today I wobble my way out towards Pukeatua via Parkland and Monckton roads. I decided to try out all the various video recording settings on the gopro and compare the quality of each. I had my remote fitted to the suction cup mounting on the fuel tank. I do not use the remote much as the wireless function tends to hog the battery life of the camera and the remote's battery wont last as long as the camera will anyway. I got out to Pukeatua, pulled up and 'Hellooo? where's the bloody remote?. I rode back slowly hopeing to see the remote and suction cup lying on the edge of the road. No such luck. I returned at about where I could remember glancing at the digital screen on the remote, did another U turn and slowly crawled back to Pukeatua. Nothing, got back to where I had originally stopped, hopped off the bike and damn near stood on the remote. This time on the screen was this , "next time noddy, I stay lost". So I've given up on the magnetic and suction mounts. I will go back to the plastic ties on the handlebars, (which worked perfectly) or just leave the stupid thing at home.

Anyway, I decided to take a run along Maunga road. This is a no exit road that runs along a ridge but like many similar roads around the hills of the Waikato, the views can be spectacular. About 6k long and some lovely farm views of deep gullys, exposed rocks and clumps of trees etc. The weather was a mix of gray clouds and patches of deep blue sky. I took a couple of photos but the cloudy light didn't make for the best of shots.

Here's one of returning back towards the Arapuni road.

Past Pukeatua, Waimanu road goes off to the right. Double laned in places and quite narrow in others, this is a delight. Tight corners and sweeping bends and great views towards Mt Maungatautari and over the Sth Waikato. This is looking towards Maungatautari.

Another showing some of the farmland.

It was here that I upheld the public impression of 'bikies'. Busting for a pee, I reckoned the odds of anyone driving past in the 30-40 seconds it take to have a quick slash on a quiet road like this are pretty long. So stashing the camera away, I hopped over the barrier arm and started admiring the view. Within seconds I heard a car, glanced round and caught the eye of a soccer mum and a couple of rugrats in a 4wd. Don't think she was too impressed. . Almost immediately granny follows, I'm sure she was smiling. Well, if she could see what little I was waving in the wind, there's nothing wrong with granny's eyesight.

Back on the bike and followed the road to Wharepapa sth. I kept going onto Seafund road and with the sun out by now it was a great run down the hill and across the valley. The outcrops of rocks and hillsides and trees makes for some pleasant country to ride through. No road works, resealing, the road surfaces in top shape, clear colours, cold wind but fantastic to be out riding. Turned right into Bayley road and wound down the drop to the junction with Lethbridge road. I thought about where to from here, thought about what a great ride so far, so did a U turn and went back the same way. Lots of hills with hairpins, tight corners, Bliss.
    Here is the start of Seafund road on the return leg.

Only photo left to post is of Waimanu road showing the scene of the dastardly deed committed by some 'low life'.

This wasn't meant to warrant a report but the ride was too good to not rub it in to all those poor sods who had to work.
    Still, I am back at work for eight night tomorrow, so I guess what goes around, comes around.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Awa - I might have to put you on the ignore list - posting pics like this when I am at work till this stupid hour is not on

At least they remind me of what I have to look forward too - awesome

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    you get great rides, great weather, and I get.....rain.
    Bugger.
    Thanks for the pics though !
    Have you ridden through Ngaroma lately ?
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I'm just a wee bit envious... Wait... No! I'm really quite envious...

What a super day for a ride through the country-side. Always like your photos, you're good with the camera

[Being out on the bike is certainly better than doing stuff round the house and spending more money on accommodation in Italy. Yet to take the big one for a ride, might try next week. The other has its licence on-hold as I knew I'd not be riding for at least a month and then don't see the point in having it licenced while away for nearly 15 weeks...]

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Never had an issue with the suction cup mounts. Flat surface + water/spit + locking mechanism engaged and you could almost pick the bike up with them!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfeaturesFZR View Post
    you get great rides, great weather, and I get.....rain.
    Bugger.
    Thanks for the pics though !
    Have you ridden through Ngaroma lately ?
    Haven't been through Ngaroma for a while. I will get back there in a couple of weeks. Glad I did a ride yesterday. The fog is down low and staying around today.

Here's a couple more photos. The blue gums look terrific with the sun shining on them. I should have stopped and used the camera for this shot. The sun on the leaves and strips of back hanging off the white trunks makes for some nice patterns.

Talking of patterns, Some cloud formations create interesting images. To me, this almost looks like a mountain in the distance.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Mahihi Paewhenua Roads.

I had planned to sneak out and have a look at a couple of roads in the Paewhenua district that I have ridden past on previous rides. So about lunch time I set sail. SH3 untill Te Kawa then turned left onto Wharepuhunga road. The weather was perfect. I did not even notice the cold. This is always a great ride, usually the way most go when travelling to Ngaroma. I stopped at the bridge on Lethbridge road to check out the Mangatutu stream. It was quite high and discoloured. Hours have been spent on this stream, fly fishing. A lovely stream to fish and can deliver some strong fighting trout. The stream runs along side the road for some distance and as a result gets thrashed during the early part of the season.

Today it didn't look so good.

Further on, I turned onto Mangatutu road. This leads away from the Wharepuhunga road and winds over some rolling hill country into the Mahihi district. Had a ride up a couple of the no exit roads but there was nothing worth showing from these roads. I left Mangatutu rd and rolled onto Mahihi road. This runs across the spurs that come off the Rangitoto hills. The roads were clean and all in good condition. Many do not have road markings but still have plenty of tight corners and sweeping curves that can be a blast to ride without having to hit supersonic speeds.

Stopped and got a photo of these funny looking cows.

Deer farming was the new 'Sliced Bread' back in the '70's as far as farming went but seems to have dropped off the radar since.
    Just past the deer farm I hung a right onto Paewhenua W road. (I presume the 'W' means west). Stopped soon after and got this photo of the countryside.

This would look nice in the spring with the trees in their green foliage. Opposite this was what was the local school. From 1921 to 1955. Pae rd drops slowly from here but the views are well worth taking your time and enjoying. Lots of swinging through left/right corners, just dont wind it up too much. Hedgerows, a narrow road and a certainty of farmer Jones using the road means not a lot of options open, should shit happen. About 6 k along I turned left onto Lurman road. I had not ridden this road before and it is a beauty. It winds through a short narrow gut before climbing up a steady rise. Rocky cliffs, big rocks and a mini rapids in the streamm that runs along side the road.

At the end of this photo, the road climbs and the stream slows as it runs across the valley floor below the road. I posted this pic in the LOR thread but it really belongs here.

How fantastic it would be for children growing up on this farm.
    Moving on after a 'time out' here the road climbs a bit more then slowly decends and still more scenic views. Turning right onto Sircombe road, I posted a brief video of the road winding up onto a saddle in the lor thread. Sircombe road is short and soon meets up with Rangiatea road. This would have taken me into Otorohanga but a wee way along I turned back onto Lurman road. I wanted to cover this end of Lurman and a side road, Otoru road. This soon turned to gravel but there are some nice farms up here. Back onto Lurman to complete the full length and enjoy the ride down into the bottom of the road. Back on Paewhenua road and I rode back home via Ngahepe road.

Only a short run but neat roads. On Sunday I may ride this same route again but might return along Lurman rd, Paewhenua road then right onto Mahaihi rd and cross the Waipa river, Otewa road, then left onto Hewer road. I will wind my way into Tekuiti via Whawharua and Mangarino roads. From there I will umm and aah about which way home.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Superb photos...

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Great photo's and ride report.
    Thanks
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Waitomo District Roads.

This wont be a usual ride report, cause I'm knackered and ready for bed. Phil and I left town about 10.30 to ride down to Tekuiti via some roads I rode in my last report. A couple of roads were new to me and other roads new to Phil. I did not bother to stop for any photos apart from a break on Kopaki road.
    Most on this post were taken from the GoPro.
    From Ngahape road, we hit Rangitea rd then left onto Sircombe road. Left at Lurman, right at Paewhenua rd. One great smooth corner after another.

Otewa road

Left onto Hewer road, an unmarked sealed road with a good surface and goes from one corner to the next. Not a fast road but lots of fun. Left onto Mangawhero for a brief spell then right onto Whawharua rd. Again, a narrow but smooth flowing corners. Puketawai, Old Tekuiti and onto Mangarino road. This was a new road for me and follows a narrow flat valley before climbing for a way before dropping down into Tekuiti.

Mangarino road

Tekuiti

After refueling the virago, we headed out to Kopaki road. We struck our first serious patch of icy road here but it caused no problems. Stopped to capture this view.

Onto SH4, we turned left and cruised down to Ramaroa road. The hill leading down to the Mokauiti valley still had a heavy frost on it so the view out to the left got little attention. It was a very cautious run down to the sunshine of the valley.

A pleasant cruise through to Aria where we managed to avoid hitting anyone.

After a break at Poipio, we found Troopers road and rolled on through to Oparure rd then Fullerton road.

At Waitomo we dog legged onto Waitomo Valley road and kept up a steady run right back to Te A.

The roads were all fantastic (apart from the icy bits), the views pleasant and all up it was one of the better rides I've done. This was a ride to enjoy the bike without stopping every 5 minutes to get out the camera.

I've got the dog standing here with his front paws on my leg and one shoe in his mouth, so I think he is trying to tell me something. Time for a walk I think.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Te Pahu roads.

I decided on a short ride today and revisit some of the roads off Limework Loop road behind Te Pahu.

Pirongia used to be a one horse town. It has grown a lot since, now, it is a two horse town.

From the first road over the Waipa river looking at Mt Pirongia.

Back down and along Rosborough and Te Pahu roads and left into Corcoran road. This is another lovely no exit road that winds up to the edge of the Forest Park. I had not been up here before and just shows how much beauty these side roads have that few riders bother to go and see. The farmland on the slopes, the trees, and the little creeks flowing down from the forest park covering the volcanic peak. Nearly all these roads are sealed, and the ones that are gravel (usually the top ends) are a piece of cake to ride.

Corcoran rd from the GoPro's perspective.

Typical of the streams coming off Pirongia.

A bit further up. and I made a panorama of the view looking back across the Waikato region.

Continuing on to the top of the road was an even better lookout. A helipad, obviously for uplifting injured hikers from the park. A car park just inside the forest and a well set up start to the Tirohanga track.

A fantastic ride back down to the Te Pahu road and along to Limeworks Loop road. A wee way along the narrow valley, and Arthur road looked like another dead end road, a waste of riding time, but as I had not been up it before, away I went. Sealed, unmarked but what a great little road. Smooth surface, views with no end. It turns to gravel well up, but even just to the end of the seal, this is worth riding. Doesn't take long. I will load up a vid clip showing some of the corners to be found on these roads. Back down on Limeworks rd and my next stop was the Kaniwhaniwha stream. A couple of photos showing a lovely stream that can be damn hard flyfishing.

Upstream from the bridge.

Tried to zoom in and see if the clarity of the water would show.

From here It was uphill and overlooking more countryside. I have posted a similar photo in an earlier scooter ride report.

At the end of Limeworks rd I continued to Grove road. This climbs up onto a ridge and runs back towards Pirongia giving some of the best views of the mountain.

So many neat roads that because they have a 'No Exit' sign or have no markings, that many riders ignore. Grove road bypasses Te Pahu, doesn't look much from the road ends but is about 10 k's of smooth cambered flowing corners and spectacular views.

Only 115k but all quality time out on the bike.

A very short clip of Arthur road.

A gopro still while riding up Arthur road.

Thread Information