Thread: 2015 TOMCC rally and roads

Bike
    So old you won't care

2015 TOMCC rally and roads

Well Vicki and I have just come back from the 2015 TOMCC rally and I have to say it was bloody good fun… Its always a good value event with a decent feed, good bands and mucho fun. But you don't really need a day by day blow by blow account so lets just say it was 'nice'. We managed about 2000 very un necessary km there and back and we made a point of joining up a few roads we had never ridden and really we had a fine old time. We rode for 6 days but the first day was only to Wanaganui and the rally was just a pootle out to Waihi Beach for a swim and back to Paeroa for supplies and gas so we could make a speedy getaway on the Sunday. So really it was 4 proper riding days.

Given we were 2 up, luggage for 6 days and sleeping bags I was NOT looking forwards to the ride much. However, despite it being a frightful tippy thing at rest or walking speed the ST1050 was as solid as a rock at speed we managed to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down There was a wild moment early in the trip at a roundabout in Wanganui and the rain made the roads super greasy in other places. As long as Vicki assisted with manuvering in car parks and the ground was relatively level where we stopped it was all good.

Speaking of the roads…. According to the hi viz orange signs, every road in NZ is slippery. Some are extra slippery when its frosty or when its wet but apparently the rest are just slippery… There is a plague of these new signs everywhere – um – heres a bloody thought, why don’t we build non slippery roads? On this topic, how about when we patch a road we seal it all the way to the centre line as well and not just leave a massive tar snake right where a motorcycle would like to be… And please please sweep the bloody thing clean afterwards. The worst road condition wise was Gisbourne to Napier. The railways busted so even more trucks on the road and a long hot summer means some places are in a terrible state. The tight down hill into Wairoa where it crosses the railway line was so rippled we actually stopped as we were sure we had blown a tyre. In the damp it was impossible to see and it was bloody dangerous… As for the bit toward Napier (Devils Elbow??) what with the trucks, vintage cars from the Art Deco weekend and spasmodic road works it was a horror of walking pace on crushed corn flakes… Really scary and the fans were running full tit while the under seat muffler roasted poor old Vicki…

So – in most of these cases we were moving slow because we were getting used to the shitty surfaces but Christ on a crutch they were a bloody hazard.

Having said that – the good stretches were very good and much fun was had…

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    You guys heading to the ChCh / Hanmer springs gig?
    Me and my bro in law are meeting up with some of the towelronga crew, then heading sth for the w/end 22/3.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    You guys heading to the ChCh / Hanmer springs gig?
    Me and my bro in law are meeting up with some of the towelronga crew, then heading sth for the w/end 22/3.
    That's the RAT one right? Sounds good but pretty sure there is a family wedding that weekend... Irritating the wedding is in chch..

Thread Information