Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Painting rims, advice needed please

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    I went and had a look, even if I leave the tyres on I can mask around the rim so closely that it'll paint even the outermost edge. I'm still having an internal debate as to whether to just say fuck it and get it all powdercoated but I just feel like I could paint it and get it to come out really well that way. I've rattle canned car wheels before and other things but you just need to be very patient and do thin coats so it doesn't run and ruin everything.

Would you clearcoat an enamel paintjob?
    Are you in south Auckland?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Lets say you paint them yourself.

5 cans of White Knight enamel is $95.00
    Sandpaper and cleaning gear $10.00

Powdercoat $250.00 and bearings $50.00

I would guess 2k in paint oven at paint shop if you do most prep will cost $250 plus bearings.

Option one, assuming you take tire off will work and depending on prep, skill and baking under heat lamps would be ok.

Option two or three will look best and last longest.

You just need decide if your skilled enough and if its a forever bike or a tidy up and flog off bike.
    Idd spend the cash if you want to keep the bike.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Powdercoat $250.00 and bearings $50.00
    Shit, they saw you coming

Get mine for about half that
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    A mate of mine got his rims powder coated in Hastings for 60 bung a wheel if I recall correctly.

Just polish the cunts, because you can ignore the stone chips better then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    If you do choose to go ahead with it, use playing cards jammed between the tire and rim all the way round, very accurate masking job. Much better than you can do with tape etc. Then masking tape and newspaper over the top.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    If you decide to do it without taking the tyres off the rim try this:

Get some Lux-Liquid (or any dishwashing liquid and make up about 250ml mixture of 60%Lux Liquid and 40%water.

Get the rim lying on its side and pretty much level, propped up on thre bit of 4"X 2".

Use a fine bristle paint-bruch to brush on the Lux-Liquid mix onto the tyre VERY carefully so as not to get it onto the rim and BEFORE it drys out do the following with your paint:

'Spray and walk away' and when the paint feels hard and dry use a soft nail-brush to scrub the tyre where the overspray is, it will all come off and leave the tyre nice and black if you did things right.

Turn rim over and repeat.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

Get some Lux-Liquid (or any dishwashing liquid and make up about 250ml mixture of 60%Lux Liquid and 40%water.

Get the rim lying on its side and pretty much level, propped up on thre bit of 4"X 2".

Use a fine bristle paint-bruch to brush on the Lux-Liquid mix onto the tyre VERY carefully so as not to get it onto the rim and BEFORE it drys out do the following with your paint:

'Spray and walk away' and when the paint feels hard and dry use a soft nail-brush to scrub the tyre where the overspray is, it will all come off and leave the tyre nice and black if you did things right.

You could probably do that with anything that works as a release agent? So wax, or the missus' face scrub shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Thanks for all your advice everyone. I plan to mask off the entire tyre if I leave it on. I forgot playing cards could work well in between the gaps. Thanks for the idea!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Thanks for all your advice everyone. I plan to mask off the entire tyre if I leave it on. I forgot playing cards could work well in between the gaps. Thanks for the idea!

I've used the Lux-Liquid idea heaps and it works and is easy to apply, clean up etc so don't dismiss it.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The thing I do not like about powder coat on wheels is when it chips it tends to allow the chipped area to 'grow' . And it is a shit to change later as effectively needs to be removed. 'car paint' for want of a better term is the same as your factory wheels and can be touched up or re sprayed fairly easily. Bearings can remain in as there is no heat applied. If being painted by a spray shop the heat they often use to cure is not that high.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125

Sounds like a lot of work, why not just use black paint?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work, why not just use black paint?

OK. I'll bite - 'cos it fuckin' flakes off AND you still have to paint it on??

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    OK. I'll bite - 'cos it fuckin' flakes off AND you still have to paint it on??
    So, shits all black there nobody will notice.

Or, on the other hand, you could just do the fucking job properly

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    So, shits all black there nobody will notice.

Or, on the other hand, you could just do the fucking job properly
    You've never used the Lux-Liquid method, have you??

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    You've never used the Lux-Liquid method, have you??
    Fuck no.

Just like I've never rattle can'd my rims and tyre black either.

Thread Information