Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 97

Thread: Playday on track twilight Tuesday 24 March

  1. #16
    Join Date
    9th August 2005 - 19:52
    Bike
    CBR450RR
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    6,364
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    I have done pukekohe many times in a car and understand race lines as such but this is completely different being Hampton downs and on a bike. Is it possible to teach myself?
    Or anyone on here going or know if I can maybe ask experienced riders there for some basic coaching so I can learn the lines and how to ride on the track?

    I don't want to go if I can't learn alone and end up teaching myself bad habits or follow others who aren't as good either and learn bad habits from them...
    My advice would be to turn up. Sighn is and ask to speak to one of the organisers. Specifically ask them if a lines bike/marshal can lead you round the track.
    Ed or Ash can show you around. Ash is one of the California Superbike School coaches. Just ask. That or sign up for one of the Honda days and get Aaron Slight to show you around.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

  2. #17
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    I may do a lot of trackdays but I am still very slow! I am only a 400 so my lines will end up being a bit different from 600s and 1000s.

    Turn 6 I am currently holding a tight line which is something I need to stop doing. Like you I just end up grass cutting. I would like to turn in earlier with more speed and then come back and hit the second apex as I get hard on the gas.

    Turn 2 I always turn in way too early. I tend to be middle of the road and turning in on the crest of 3.

    Basically i'm the wrong person to ask. Turn 6 I turn to late and too slow and turn 2 I am to early and too slow.

    I like watching Jason Hulme as he nails the lines perfectly almost every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFaPIxnTs6M
    Same bike as me but doing 1:13s not 1:30s
    that vid makes the track look almost flat.-you don't get that sense of elevation change you get in real life
    It looks to me like Jason goes wider-left into 6 and turns later when he hasn't got someone trying to steal an inside line and force him wide
    I might try a really exaggerated version -almost wait till I run off track before turning in
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    20th March 2007 - 10:27
    Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    that vid makes the track look almost flat.-you don't get that sense of elevation change you get in real life
    YO, book me a spot for the eve event, and consider that part payment for the Yosh ECU mate OK ??
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz


    I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

  4. #19
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    YO, book me a spot for the eve event, and consider that part payment for the Yosh ECU mate OK ??
    fuk U don't ask for much do ya mate??
    But Kylie said as she doesn't know your experience level she will have to book you into the slow group
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    10th March 2014 - 09:18
    Bike
    Kinda GSF1200S(X)
    Location
    'twixt Tron and AK
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    I like watching Jason Hulme as he nails the lines perfectly almost every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFaPIxnTs6M
    Great vid for lines. I'll worry about elevation later - it's not as if I'd be going fast enough for that to be an issue!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by gjm View Post
    Great vid for lines. I'll worry about elevation later - it's not as if I'd be going fast enough for that to be an issue!
    Mate its not an "issue" but it sure adds a whole new dimension to the track. -In the vid the steepness of the rise to T3 looks like nothing. And the drop down to the hairpin-T5 looks minor. But it really is something when you are out there.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    20th March 2007 - 10:27
    Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    fuk U don't ask for much do ya mate??
    But Kylie said as she doesn't know your experience level she will have to book you into the slow group

    fair call, just let me know when booking is deffinate please
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz


    I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

  8. #23
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,712
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    serious question for you dude
    Turn 6 being double apex. Do you go out wide/turn in late so ingle apex it higher up ? Ie whats your preferred line.
    Also Turn 3 - are you staying wide from 2 and turning in on the crest or another alternative.
    Those are the two that are doing my head in currently -grass cutting on 6 and wheelspin exiting 3
    Im trying to give up the grass cutting on 6. Getting better. Ive had the odd going round the outside of other riders. Get better drive up the hill.

    Now Im going faster 2 is my issue. I turn to late so am braking into it. Had the front go away twice last time doing it. Going to button off earlier next time round.

    I dont have the HP to wheelspin out of 3 but a guy did it in front of me a while back, just before he and the bike cartwheeled down the track.

    From what I can make out im 1.28/1.29s. Not sure how Im going to get faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    9th October 2014 - 11:37
    Bike
    A rough 2007 Hornet 900
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    83
    I'm likely to be going. It will be my first ever time on a track on the bike. I'll be entering in the novice group obviously.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Im trying to give up the grass cutting on 6. Getting better. Ive had the odd going round the outside of other riders. Get better drive up the hill.

    Now Im going faster 2 is my issue. I turn to late so am braking into it. Had the front go away twice last time doing it. Going to button off earlier next time round.

    I dont have the HP to wheelspin out of 3 but a guy did it in front of me a while back, just before he and the bike cartwheeled down the track.

    From what I can make out im 1.28/1.29s. Not sure how Im going to get faster.
    I didn't cartwheel but she didn't half slap me to let me know that wasn't very clever.
    ya know what -THIS is what Ive been missing.
    trying to figure out a new track. Then work out the fast line. Then work out the line that's gonna get you in front by corner exit. dang its exciting stuff.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Bandit View Post
    I'm likely to be going. It will be my first ever time on a track on the bike. I'll be entering in the novice group obviously. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Actually funny thing is the novice group had LOTS of free track
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,712
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    I didn't cartwheel but she didn't half slap me to let me know that wasn't very clever.
    ya know what -THIS is what Ive been missing.
    trying to figure out a new track. Then work out the fast line. Then work out the line that's gonna get you in front by corner exit. dang its exciting stuff.
    Im not good enough to race. But track days are fun. I will be happy to make group 3 at ART days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    fair call, just let me know when booking is deffinate please
    The lady doing the booking wanted to know if you had any riding experience. I told her you haven't ridden in awhile so she insisted on putting you in the slow group.
    Even when I put down--bike you will be riding as Britain 1000 she didn't bat an eyelid.
    SOOO --can ya borrow the Britain from Stroudy? --I wanna see the look on her face when you rock up in novice on that bike.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,712
    Guess I better enter. Got to work out which group to go in.

    Then I can make sure I watch all the oldies going around....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    13th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    Honda PC800
    Location
    Henderson -auckland
    Posts
    14,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Guess I better enter. Got to work out which group to go in.

    Then I can make sure I watch all the oldies going around....
    yea --just look for the pit garage with all the zimmer frames parked outside
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •