Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Playday on track twilight Tuesday 24 March

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1

Playday on track twilight Tuesday 24 March

http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php

TUESDAY 24 MARCH TWILIGHT BIKES
    3 Groups, Fast, Medium & Novice Hampton Downs $80

I am gutted I missed out on the ART days and I really need to do some track days.
    I have done pukekohe many times in a car and understand race lines as such but this is completely different being Hampton downs and on a bike. Is it possible to teach myself?
    Or anyone on here going or know if I can maybe ask experienced riders there for some basic coaching so I can learn the lines and how to ride on the track?

I don't want to go if I can't learn alone and end up teaching myself bad habits or follow others who aren't as good either and learn bad habits from them...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    http://www.playdayontrack.co.nz/news.php

I am gutted I missed out on the ART days and I really need to do some track days.
    I have done pukekohe many times in a car and understand race lines as such but this is completely different being Hampton downs and on a bike. Is it possible to teach myself?
    Or anyone on here going or know if I can maybe ask experienced riders there for some basic coaching so I can learn the lines and how to ride on the track?

I don't want to go if I can't learn alone and end up teaching myself bad habits or follow others who aren't as good either and learn bad habits from them...
    There will be marshals you can follow. If you are on a GSX250 then go novice for everybodys safety.

I may do that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    There will be marshals you can follow. If you are on a GSX250 then go novice for everybodys safety.

I may do that one.
    Cheers. Good to know I can follow marshals. Haha I was not thinking of going anywhere except novice!

Bike
    Normally Suzuki

I may do that one.

Can you ride as fast as you want to in the fast group, or do you have to follow or remain behind marshalls?
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    Can you ride as fast as you want to in the fast group, or do you have to follow or remain behind marshalls?
    Yeah you can go nuts. Marshall following was just for a novice to find lines. Im finding some marshalls just get in the way.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Yeah you can go nuts. Marshall following was just for a novice to find lines. Im finding some marshalls just get in the way.

So is the OP correct that there is a twilight meet there on the 24th of march? as when I click on the link, it does not show this.
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike

Try again...;)

Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    So is the OP correct that there is a twilight meet there on the 24th of march? as when I click on the link, it does not show this.

Bike
    Street tracker
    $80 looks a good deal.

Presumably the usual requirements for protective gear apply? Minimum two-piece zip together suit for slow group, one-piece for the others?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by gjm View Post
    $80 looks a good deal.

Presumably the usual requirements for protective gear apply? Minimum two-piece zip together suit for slow group, one-piece for the others?
    You would have to look on the site but 270 degree zip, leather and back protector recommended from memory.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    http://www.hdticketing.co.nz/index.php/cPath/76

I don't know what the rules are with the guys that run these track days and sure don't want to cause issues with them. On that basis
    My advice would be to turn up. Sighn is and ask to speak to one of the organisers. Specifically ask them if a lines bike/marshal can lead you round the track.
    I'd offer to help but in all honesty Im currently so slow that paint drys faster.
    I'd also suggest you get your bike checked over to ensure its good to go for the track.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    I don't miss too many playdays so here is my advice:

At the end of the riders briefing they ask all first timers to the track to stick behind. Most of these guys are in novice group so after a brief discussion they all meet at the end of the pitlane and follow the one of the lines bike out behind the rest of the group. The lines bike does a lap pointing out the marshall points and then does a second lap showing the proper lines / turn in points. The idea is each bike follows the one in front on the correct line but as you can imagine the further back you are the further from the ideal line you will find yourself as people tend to turn in way too early.

If they no longer do this then you can ask one of the instructors to show you the lines and they are always happy to do this.

They don't do gear or bike checks although they do check you have your helmet correctly fastened 90% of the time.

Back protector isn't required but obviously recommended. Two piece leathers will be fine.

There is no end of 'experts' in the garages...I find it best to smile and nod and ignore most of what they say! A bit like this forum really

Bike
    Honda PC800
    heres a link -with both the correct place to book tickets and the FAQ's

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...owns-24-3-2015

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    I don't miss too many playdays so here is my advice:
    serious question for you dude
    Turn 6 being double apex. Do you go out wide/turn in late so ingle apex it higher up ? Ie whats your preferred line.
    Also Turn 3 - are you staying wide from 2 and turning in on the crest or another alternative.
    Those are the two that are doing my head in currently -grass cutting on 6 and wheelspin exiting 3

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    serious question for you dude
    Turn 6 being double apex. Do you go out wide/turn in late so ingle apex it higher up ? Ie whats your preferred line.
    Also Turn 3 - are you staying wide from 2 and turning in on the crest or another alternative.
    Those are the two that are doing my head in currently -grass cutting on 6 and wheelspin exiting 3
    I may do a lot of trackdays but I am still very slow! I am only a 400 so my lines will end up being a bit different from 600s and 1000s.

Turn 6 I am currently holding a tight line which is something I need to stop doing. Like you I just end up grass cutting. I would like to turn in earlier with more speed and then come back and hit the second apex as I get hard on the gas.

Turn 2 I always turn in way too early. I tend to be middle of the road and turning in on the crest of 3.

Basically i'm the wrong person to ask. Turn 6 I turn to late and too slow and turn 2 I am to early and too slow.

I like watching Jason Hulme as he nails the lines perfectly almost every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFaPIxnTs6M
    Same bike as me but doing 1:13s not 1:30s

Thread Information