Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Suzuki Street Magic as first scooter?

Bike
    2000, Suzuki

2001 Suzuki Street Magic as first scooter?

Hi guys,

With my partner using the car to get to work, I am left without any transport

I've got a 4km trip to uni and back and thought a scooter would be perfect for this distance.

I have been looking at scooters and immediately fell in love with the Suzuki Street Magic Tr50.

Now considering the newest model is 10 years old, I wanted to get some advice from people that have experience with this sort of thing.

Option 1:
    Scootling - Suzuki Street Magic 2005
    • Price: $2190
    • Has plates & certified (needs new rego in May)
    • Positives: From reputable dealership, has some service records, about 17,000km on the clock.

Option 2:
    TradeMe- Suzuki Street Magic 1997
    • Price: $1400
    • Seller says certified & registered as moped, but I'm not sure since its a 70cc engine. From the gov website a moped needs to be max 50cc??
    • Positive: Saves me about $800 bucks but needs to be shipped to auckland from Gisborne

Option 3:
    TradeMe - Suzuki Street Magic 2000
    • Planning to view this soon
    • Positive: Cheaper than dealer, looks in decent nick from pictures

Questions:
    1. Would I be better off paying the premium and buying something I've got to test ride and is from a reputable store?
    2. What is the cost to get a moped recertified?
    3. If I were to get one of the 70cc bikes, could they still be conisdered a 'moped'?
    4. Could someone please confirm the annual road tax for a moped is $165? (what the shop owner told me)
    5. Have I missed considering anything here?

Quick Notes:
    • If I go ahead with this, I will likely get comprehensive insurance, apparently this bike is a thief magnet
    • I will also need to purchase a helmet/ gloves / waterproof pants?
    • I like this bike and can afford it... however I don't want to feel like I got ripped off by almost $1000 bucks

Any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I would walk if its only 4km.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2000, Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I would walk if its only 4km.
    True, but I'm being lazy and this is a great excuse to get my hands on an awesome little machine

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuckerz View Post
    True, but I'm being lazy and this is a great excuse to get my hands on an awesome little machine
    Bicycle. Nothing awesome about a scooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Superduke 990
    - Would I be better off paying the premium and buying something I've got to test ride and is from a reputable store?
    With the money you are spending I wouldn't bother buying from a dealer. You get stuff all warranty anyway, if any, so just pay for a pre-purchase inspection if you are worried. It's a helluva lot less than the commission you'll pay on a store bought bike.

- What is the cost to get a moped recertified?
    Too much to bother with.

- If I were to get one of the 70cc bikes, could they still be conisdered a 'moped'?
    Only if you don't tell your insurance company, or the police. Likely to find yourself without insurance if you bin it and they find out.

- Could someone please confirm the annual road tax for a moped is $165? (what the shop owner told me)
    Yes it is. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...s.html#licfees

Despite what these others have said, I reckon it looks like a fun little machine and I'm sure it'll be good for cutting through traffic and having a blast around the domain with your friends. There's enough suburban road in Auckland that you can ride for a long time without going on the motorway too, so you'll be able to do some tiki touring.

Don't spend too much because odds are you'll get a taste and want to trade up to something larger - you'll find a cash strapped student to take it off your hands when you are done. I'd go for something cheaper, find out the cost of comprehensive insurance, get third party and put the rest of the money in the bank. By the time you take of the excess you're not going to get your money's worth out of them. Buy a half decent lock and park it sensibly. Buy decent gear so you aren't one of those scooter road pizzas, and have fun.

Or yeah.... buy a bicycle :P

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    2000, Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrobot View Post
    - Would I be better off paying the premium and buying something I've got to test ride and is from a reputable store?
    With the money you are spending I wouldn't bother buying from a dealer. You get stuff all warranty anyway, if any, so just pay for a pre-purchase inspection if you are worried. It's a helluva lot less than the commission you'll pay on a store bought bike.

- What is the cost to get a moped recertified?
    Too much to bother with.

- If I were to get one of the 70cc bikes, could they still be conisdered a 'moped'?
    Only if you don't tell your insurance company, or the police. Likely to find yourself without insurance if you bin it and they find out.

- Could someone please confirm the annual road tax for a moped is $165? (what the shop owner told me)
    Yes it is. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...s.html#licfees

Despite what these others have said, I reckon it looks like a fun little machine and I'm sure it'll be good for cutting through traffic and having a blast around the domain with your friends. There's enough suburban road in Auckland that you can ride for a long time without going on the motorway too, so you'll be able to do some tiki touring.

Don't spend too much because odds are you'll get a taste and want to trade up to something larger - you'll find a cash strapped student to take it off your hands when you are done. I'd go for something cheaper, find out the cost of comprehensive insurance, get third party and put the rest of the money in the bank. By the time you take of the excess you're not going to get your money's worth out of them. Buy a half decent lock and park it sensibly. Buy decent gear so you aren't one of those scooter road pizzas, and have fun.

Or yeah.... buy a bicycle :P
    Thanks for the advice. I will make sure if I do go ahead with it, that I get one that is certified.

From my short test ride it was a pretty fun little bike. I have no experience with anything bigger than 125cc years ago, so I doubt I'd miss the power. Also I'm going to take your advice and look for a cheaper one than the dealer. I was aiming for $1.5k with rego so I think the one in wellington might be closer to that figure.

Oh, I currently cycle in. After doing it for the past 3 years I'm a little over cycling in the rain during winter. Yes, I know I'm being lazy.

Thank you for the advice

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Buy a set of choice sneaker, a big bag of cocaine and stump the fuck out of your partner for 27 hours straight.
    Better than a scooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a smelly one
    an awesome little machine
    that's a stretch...

Bike
    Don't worry about the fashionistas, anything with a motor can be fun.

I'd go for the 70cc. Unlikely that you will ever run into legal trouble with it unless you do something stupid (friend had a '50cc' scoot that he got clocked at 160k on when we were at school.) You might be able to talk him down a bit further price wise too.

If you want a spanner free vanilla ownership with a side of rape on the purchase price I'd go the dealer route/root.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    anything with a motor can be fun.
    Yuuuup. Have fun on whatever you decide to get.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    S1000RR
    You guys are all wrong. For that distance commuting he needs a GSX-R1000 with full Yoshi pipes.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    A couple of kwakas
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    You guys are all wrong. For that distance commuting he needs a GSX-R1000 with full Yoshi pipes.

Nah, drop the GSX-R1000 engine inta the Street Magic. Oh-ho-ho-ho...

Bike
    Between bikes
    • Could someone please confirm the annual road tax for a moped is $165? (what the shop owner told me)
    • Have I missed considering anything here?
    Uh, consider google?
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    2000, Suzuki

Update

Well I got my Suzuki Street Magic . Been using it for about 2 weeks now and enjoying it. And yes, it is possible to have fun on a scooter.

Now I am trying to learn how to do my own basic servicing on it. If anyone know's a workshop/place where I could pay a bit of money for someone to teach me how to do some of the basic things, I would appreciate it.

Before someone says it:
    • Yes, I have downloaded a PDF of the manual
    • Yes, even with a manual I am still unsure/nervous
    • Yes, I have Googled/Youtubed/Searched for it
    • Yes, I am mechanically inept, but I want to learn

PS. Thanks for all the comments about using Google to search things myself. It never even crossed my mind. It was far easier to google this forum, create an account on here, confirm the email address, find the right sub-forum, create a new post and figure out how to add links I had already found.

Bike
    Tr50 street magic
    Blog Entries

My magic

Can some one please check my threads I have a magic and problems

Thread Information