Thread: Importing a modified Harley: WOF questions

Bike
    2013 Harley Davidson FLS Softail Slim

Importing a modified Harley: WOF questions

Hiya Folks,
    I'm headed to South Island for school next Jan and I'm trying to get everything sorted to bringing my Harley with me. I've been all over the NZTA about importing and registering and a WOF but I'm not getting a clear answer as to mods and what's allowable. I really don't want to get there and have them tell me "NO." From what I'm reading, I'll have to have a 2A certified LVV inspection before I can even apply for a WOF, but I'm not finding any guys certified for that in Christchurch... Does anyone have experience importing a modded bike?

Mods will be thus- '13 Harley Softail Slim. Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, Kuryakyn Mach 2 Co-Ax filter, 14" apes, sissy bar, highway bar, windshield. Nothing internal...yet. How strict are they about the noise laws? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It will need to pass a Warrant of Fitness test Before it is allowed on our roads. And then be issued a Warrant of Fitness label which is required to be carried in plain view ON the bike.

Any issues regarding such will be apparent then.

Welding ... or structural modifications will need to be certified. Engine (internal) modifications are not as stringent.

Are you intending to take it back home when you complete your studies ... ???? think carefully ... as this may affect the conditions/type ... of import you are allowed to use.

You may even be able to use your "Home" plates ... if the number is not currently in use already.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    a red heap
    Worrying about the law? That's not very Sons of Anarchy of you.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Buy a Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Pipes to loud....fail
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Pipes to loud....fail
    what about all the other noisy harleys out there

Bike
    A blue one
    if you are going to be here 12 months or less, importing a vehicle temporarily might be a better option.
    You can get a extension, for how long I don't know.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
    Hiya Folks,
    I'm headed to South Island for school next Jan and I'm trying to get everything sorted to bringing my Harley with me. I've been all over the NZTA about importing and registering and a WOF but I'm not getting a clear answer as to mods and what's allowable. I really don't want to get there and have them tell me "NO." From what I'm reading, I'll have to have a 2A certified LVV inspection before I can even apply for a WOF, but I'm not finding any guys certified for that in Christchurch... Does anyone have experience importing a modded bike?

Mods will be thus- '13 Harley Softail Slim. Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, Kuryakyn Mach 2 Co-Ax filter, 14" apes, sissy bar, highway bar, windshield. Nothing internal...yet. How strict are they about the noise laws? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Bring it in, it'll breeze through.

And IF it is too noisy? - that's easily sorted.

Welcome to this loony bin know as Kiwi Biker, you'll have to sort out the bull-shit and blow-hards as you go....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    I waved to one once ... he didn't hear me ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    They were not that loud when first WOF and registered in NZ - they had stock fart fart fart pipes on them ......... WOF from then on with rowdy pipes were most likely directly proportional to the amount of money spend with the bike shop .... they can hardly sell you new pipes then fail your WOF, that;s just not cricket.

Bike
    2013 Harley Davidson FLS Softail Slim
    **Update**

I just saw that folks replied to this post! Sweet, though I'm sorry I'm a bit late to the game. The time has finally come for this baby to ship out and I'm finalizing plans now. I've spoken with an LVV guy and he tells me as long as I can prove they're Harley parts/install (they are), I should be good with the apes. Air filter shouldn't be an issue and the aux lamps, sissy bar, windshield etc should be fine. The pipes are still a worry, but I've found "quieting baffles" I can use to knock it down a few decibels. That being said, it's going to cause me physical pain to make her quiet. I'm also going to take her to the state troopers office to see where she is on the decimeter.

At this point I just have to figure out how to transport her from the docks to the nearest VINZ so I can work on certifications, inspections and licensing.

FJRider: Are you intending to take it back home when you complete your studies ... ???? think carefully ... as this may affect the conditions/type ... of import you are allowed to use.

To answer this, yes, I fully intend to take her back to the states with me once I'm done with Uni. I'm not however, going to ship her back and forth after every year. I'll just have to store her someplace while I'm home for the summer. So far I haven't found anything that would change how I register her however. I'd love to do a temporary registration (holy crap!! over $500NZD a year for bike registration alone!!!!!) if that cost me less.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yep, pipes are often one point to trip you up. Too noisy and you have to replace.

Other common one is headlight. Temporary import doesn't care, but registering for use in NZ, you need a headlight that angles to the left, whereas because you're on the opposite side of the road, yours will angle to the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information