Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sidestand doesn't inspire confidence

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1

Sidestand doesn't inspire confidence

Hi all,

Just wondering what the deal is with sidestands on bikes, can you replace them with "stronger" ones?
    My 2005 R6 factory sidestand is so skinny and actually flexes back and forth if a decent weight is applied or even when resting the bike on it.
    I've seen videos of guys moving their bikes around on the spot by using the sidestand, I don't think I could do that with my one. I'm worried the stand will fail after repetitive cycles of flexing.

Can I get upgraded stands? Is the R6 known for a bitchass stand and what do you do to fix it?
    I assume once you upgrade the stand, there is more stress on the pivot, but I'm sure it could handle it better than the current stand.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I wonder if their are lots of R6's lying down all over the world right now...prob not...

Bike
    Sounds like you've lost the factory toolkit man. Mine came with a little Japanese dude that holds it up.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Sounds like you've lost the factory toolkit man. Mine came with a little Japanese dude that holds it up.
    It must be an older model then ... mine came with a Japanese chick ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Lots of people online talking about how flimsy it is but none talking about it failing... Just wondered what you guys thought regarding it. I'm just scared I'll turn up to find my bike over on it's side one day. The stand actually rests in a curved state, you can see it flex and then hold it's position when you put the weight of the bike on it.

Bike
    A fast one
    Can definitely be done on the R6

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    God thats an ugly helmet.

I do the sidestand turn all the time, more so on my 1200 Bandit cause its to hard to push about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post

"Put your steering wheel like this" WTF

Bike
    CB1300
    It can be upgraded. Question is do you need to?
    If there is no evidence this is a risk ( thousands sold world wide and you can't find evidence of any reports of them breaking ) perhaps Yamaha got it right.
    Or maybe the flex is intentional? To cure the problem that used to exist with a lot of sports bikes of the stand just folding up without any interaction when used on the flat.
    If you take your time you will find plenty of aftermarket (usually height adjustable because this kind of mod is more common in a height conversion) options. If both sides of the hinge are alloy you should really stay alloy.

You could talk to an engineer about getting more material added.

You could google / trademe /eBay aftermarket ones.

You could pop it off and go to a wreckers and see what they have that would work. May need a little modification to fit.

Most options will add weight over the stock stand one on a modern sport bike.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Lots of people online talking about how flimsy it is but none talking about it failing... Just wondered what you guys thought regarding it. I'm just scared I'll turn up to find my bike over on it's side one day. The stand actually rests in a curved state, you can see it flex and then hold it's position when you put the weight of the bike on it.
    Measure it and replace?
    If you've read up and it's not a problem for anyone else it's usually a sign though

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    God thats an ugly helmet.
    I don't think a mother could even love that helmet.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Meh - no record of them failing.

Have you seen those Harley ones - they lock in position but the position is often lightly rearwards so it looks and feels like the stand is not forward enough and will roll back. Freaks me out anytime I ride a Hog.

Lots of Italian bikes side stands stand the bike too upright IMO. A good fart could blow some of them over.

Ducati have had a few issues with some models over the years.

You could always park it up in your garage on a race stand if it gives you the shits.

Bike
    R6
    I have an '08 R6. The guy who did my last WOF tried to turn the bike on the stand (in front of me) and the stand snapped and the bike was on the ground. Didn't have the cash for a new stand so have had that one repaired, re-welded and strengthened. Not sure if it's the original stand or not. But it didn't seem to cope too well with the added pressure on it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    I have an '08 R6. The guy who did my last WOF tried to turn the bike on the stand (in front of me) and the stand snapped and the bike was on the ground. Didn't have the cash for a new stand so have had that one repaired, re-welded and strengthened. Not sure if it's the original stand or not. But it didn't seem to cope too well with the added pressure on it.
    Well there you go.

The WOF dude should have replaced your stand though.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Yeh don't do the lean and spin thing, puts forces on em they were never designed for. The stand itself can take a bit of flex (if steel) its the foot and the pivot you gotta watch, foot for penetrating the ground, and pivot for shear/wear (esp if some po muppet has been putting the whole bike weight on it).
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It must be an older model then ... mine came with a Japanese chick ...
    And that upse you didn't it cos you only bought the r6 to get the little guy didn't you?.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Thread Information