Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No-frills touring

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Other than TWR no one has shown any sort of "no frills" touring in this thread. Just because you're not riding a 2-wheeled armchair doesn't mean you're doing it rough, and a fully kitted up Hornet (fluffy seat, fucking hell) is NOT no-frills. This is no frills touring: http://www.jawakolemsveta.cz/

http://imgur.com/a/v03xI

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Other than TWR no one has shown any sort of "no frills" touring in this thread. Just because you're not riding a 2-wheeled armchair doesn't mean you're doing it rough, and a fully kitted up Hornet (fluffy seat, fucking hell) is NOT no-frills. This is no frills touring: http://www.jawakolemsveta.cz/

http://imgur.com/a/v03xI
    What a ray of sunshine you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Hornet set up for touring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0849-XL.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	310918  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Guess this was no-frills, work trip to Wellington while the BMW was enroute to USA.

One heated grip wasn't working, and on the way north I think it was about 2 degrees...

Name:	DSC00383.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	310921  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    This was my original no-frills tourer. No idea how the ventura rack coped with the weight of all that . No heated grips, not even a fluffy seat Picked it up in Dunedin and did the Catlins, right through the South Island then up to Taranaki and across to East Cape before heading back to Whangarei. Crazy trip but had a ball. Same tank bag.

Name:	P2180009.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	310924  

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I guess my TDM resides in the no frills section. Soft panniers is the only concession. Me arse certainly feels it after 1000km days but otherwise it just thumps along and eats the miles.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Other than TWR no one has shown any sort of "no frills" touring in this thread. Just because you're not riding a 2-wheeled armchair doesn't mean you're doing it rough, and a fully kitted up Hornet (fluffy seat, fucking hell) is NOT no-frills.
    Agree, No Frills means basic/no comfort add on bits. The Hornet is the Corolla of the motorcycle world, it does everything you want of it and most have owned one, it's common enough that you'll see one on the road about as often as road kill or Suzuki Bandits. Girly (or heated) grips is a giant leap over the no frills line.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

We don't know how lucky we are...

Reminds me of a story I heard at my Uncle's funeral.

In 1938 my Uncle Gordon would ride his motorbike – 1939 Triumph 3.5 horsepower - from Auckland to Wellington leaving at 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon, stopping for a 3 hour sleep in Palmerston North at about 5am, then riding the rest of the way on Saturday morning – arriving at about 11:00. On Sunday morning he would leave at 6:00am and arrive back in Auckland that night.

Wellington to Auckland would have been a pretty serious trip in 1939.

I suspect it was a single cylinder Tiger like the picture below. Pretty sure that was before heated grips were invented too.

Name:	tiger08022603.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	310926  

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58226.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	310933 the old "touring" bike. KLX300, backpack with a tarp, clothes, pegs and some string.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58227.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	310934 The new touring bike Z1000 with a pack rack. I've upgraded to a tank bag as well now.

Both have done a couple 1500+km weekend trips. Mostly carrying tent/tarp sleeping bag etc with me

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    the old "touring" bike. KLX300, backpack with a tarp, clothes, pegs and some string. The new touring bike Z1000 with a pack rack. I've upgraded to a tank bag as well now.

Both have done a couple 1500+km weekend trips. Mostly carrying tent/tarp sleeping bag etc with me
    Loving the tarp tent - too bad if the ground is soft and she falls over in the middle of the night .

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Loving the tarp tent - too bad if the ground is soft and she falls over in the middle of the night .
    Rastus sent me a puck to put under the peg, worked a charm.

The big issue was I rolled over through the night and got chain lube all over my sleeping bag

I do no frills touring cause I'm too poor for all those fancy frills. I went for a long weekend away this summer, stopped at a little park, camped in my tent and just had a swim in the river to wash myself..... At least I washed myself. Another favourite trick (when it's too cold) use wet wipes to wash yourself.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Believe it or not, I did a trip from Christchurch - Auckland return on a DT250 twin shocker with a pack on my back ......

Must have been about 1979, I was only a kid ....

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Pfft! amateurs

The pic below is taken near Taihape many many moons ago...proper no-frills touring
    Absolute loooksury
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...4&d=1214053669
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...5-CC-Challenge

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Other than TWR no one has shown any sort of "no frills" touring in this thread.
    that was at a point in time born of necessity, 3/4 the way through a 1000km trip, had a ball of time but 14 odd hours in the saddle was getting a bit tiring. Did the majority of the Sth island by similar means a few years earlier on a early model XT250.
    Bit more refined these days though, but no fancy equipment, just time proven gear that works without any bells & whistles. Have ridden bikes with heated grips & fitted plenty to customer bikes but personally don't like them; the only luxury item I use is a sheepskin but that only makes an appearance if the trip is going to be 500kms or more.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R

yeah but the fun factor is worth it
    Used to be group that did the brass on steppies, 2day trip from chch regularly having water-gun battles as they meandered their way south

Thread Information