Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No-frills touring

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

No-frills touring

After owning a few bikes more towards the "serious" end of the touring spectrum (ST1100, R1100, Trophy 1200) I decided I was a bit over it all and wanted to try to capture the essence of "riding" again as opposed to "driving" or "piloting". The big bikes were great for distance work (especially the ST1100) but a bit excessive for just popping down town. So I just went to a basic middle-of-the-road Hornet 900 to see how that worked as a do-everything bike.

It has no ABS, no linked braking, no hard panniers, no fuel gauge, no fairing, minimal instrumentation - just a mix a bits from a small naked bike (CB600 hornet frame) with a reworked sport-bike engine (Fireblade). All I've added is a givi screen, new heated grips and some ventura panniers and rack bag, plus my Oxford tankbag that I've had forever. And new tyres - Pilot Road 4's (which perform perfectly on this bike).

How does it work for touring? Actually surprisingly fantastic! I did a trip from Auckland to Palmerston North then back up via Wanganui a couple of weeks ago. Then last week Whangarei to Wellington on Wednesday via Wanganui then back up on Saturday via Taihape and Mangakino.

For me I feel much more in touch with the ride on a smaller, lighter bike like the Hornet - just a greater sense of being in control I guess. Handling was great (as I mentioned the Pilot Road 4's are totally confidence inspiring) , power is great (Fireblade engine is ripper in the upper part of the revs), comfort is maybe not quite up with the big tourers, but I still did 12 hours on the road on Saturday - half of that in rain - and lived to tell the tale. Fuel economy ranged between 5l/100km (in the long boring slow bits) to probably about 6l/100km in the fun twisty bits (Paraparas!). They say going up a tooth on the front sprocket can help the economy a bit - might try that some time.

So my enthusiasm for touring has returned - no-frills style.

Any other no-frills/high-thrills tourers out there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	824.2 KB 
ID:	310910  

Bike
    Sold
    Good for you I moved from a Blackbird to a Street Triple 5 years ago and that tours really well too. Like you, I love PR 4's, although I doubt they will give the claimed 20% greater life than the PR 3's. Have done 12000 km on the PR 4's now.

I know a few people who do some serious tours on small capacity bikes and scooters - it's more of a mindset than reality that you need a big bike!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    ...I know a few people who do some serious tours on small capacity bikes and scooters ...
    Really? No kidding!! Scooters!!! Bloody heck!!!!

Especially those Italian ones...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    You will want to move the sliders to the frame before you drop it and kill the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    S1000RR
    No frills/ all thrills? Yes! I did travel from Christchurch to Auckland and back on mine end of last year.

OK, yeah fine, the bike's got ABS, DTC and quickshifter and rest of the gimmicks but it has least bit of luxury and comfort. Almost had to see a chiropractitioner after the trip.

Name:	20141219_171022.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	310913  

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    No Frills? but you've added a givi screen, girly grips and some ventura panniers and rack bag, an Oxford tank bag...plus fluffy seat cover!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It will take hard panniers if you fit a Givi rack and Givi luggage (probably other options out there).

I've done 100k on a Hornet for work in the last 7.5 years, fantastically reliable. No screen (took that off) so you get a bit sore if you try to do multiple hours in touring, but then I have the BMW for touring... which isn't really no frills

I love the nice smooth delivery of power. Plenty of torque at the bottom end, 6th gear from 70kph. Give it some revs and the fireblade part comes alive Wide bars are great for leverage, but do make things like splitting a bit more tricky as the bike is wider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    No Frills? but you've added a givi screen, girly grips and some ventura panniers and rack bag, plus my Oxford tank bag...plus fluffy seat cover!
    Fair enough - a few basic home comforts aren't exactly frills. I'm pretty sure its my tank bag though. Forgot to mention the fluffy seat cover. I found that in my man-cupboard as I was setting up for the trip and decided it might be nice. Daughter accused me of being an old man needing that though. That always hurts .

Here's a photo that proves it was raining in Te Awamutu:

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	659.0 KB 
ID:	310914  

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It will take hard panniers if you fit a Givi rack and Givi luggage (probably other options out there).

I've done 100k on a Hornet for work in the last 7.5 years, fantastically reliable. No screen (took that off) so you get a bit sore if you try to do multiple hours in touring, but then I have the BMW for touring... which isn't really no frills

I love the nice smooth delivery of power. Plenty of torque at the bottom end, 6th gear from 70kph. Give it some revs and the fireblade part comes alive Wide bars are great for leverage, but do make things like splitting a bit more tricky as the bike is wider.
    Yeah I love how the engine spins out. I think they're a really underrated bike. I liked the screen a lot for touring - a little stiff in the shoulders after the ride but really not an issue. I can imagine doing a lot of kms on this bike. Just gone 50,000km and runs like new and I can see no reason why with regular use and maintenance it shouldn't do big kms.

I'm pretty happy with the ventura bags. I find add-on givi hard bags tend to make your bike really wide. I had some on my V-Strom and they tended to take out petrol pumps, posts and old ladies. With the soft bags and the standard bars it's insanely easy to lane split. Was riding through Auckland early Wednesday morning on my way to Wellington and was like "I don't have time for this crap" - best bike I've had for lane splitting!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I agree, there are some things that are essential when touring that can't be considered...frills. But it ends with panniers/saddles.
    When I had the CB1300 it was 'off the floor/stock/no frills' apart from the Neptune can and did the job extremely well.

The hornet (being a close cousin of the CB) will give you hours of untroubled fun, even with the fluffy seat.. ☺

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Very rare to be outside of the area Silverdale to Papakura, plus the screen was buffeting me. Much cleaner air (plus great in summer).

Mine is at 128k, a mates at 96k, another at 150k and a KB'er has one that's around 250k (ex courier, but he's had to do some work on gearbox and other things). Great choice I'd say

Renthal wide bars, givi racks (top box is on permanently), Ohlins rear shock and tweaked front end (the stock suspension is definitely budget) and it's a great bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    Fair enough - a few basic home comforts aren't exactly frills. I'm pretty sure its my tank bag though. Forgot to mention the fluffy seat cover. I found that in my man-cupboard as I was setting up for the trip and decided it might be nice. Daughter accused me of being an old man needing that though. That always hurts .

Here's a photo that proves it was raining in Te Awamutu:
    It would be more of a challenge to get a photo of it NOT raining in Te Awamutu at this time of year

Nice bike!
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    After looking at all kinds of tourers we ended up with a Bandit 1200. 04 naked one. I fitted a top box and a screen along with new fork springs and a Busa rear shock. Best bit was a new seat from superior saddles on the shore. We are both comfortable on longer rides. Bike cost $2200. Upgrades etc would be another $600.

Very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    No frills either when I picked up the SV from AK and rode back to CHCH, flew up in my bike gear met seller at airport deal done then asked which way was south and headed home

Name:	SV_001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	310916  

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Pfft! amateurs

The pic below is taken near Taihape many many moons ago...proper no-frills touring

Name:	XL trip .JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	310917  

Thread Information