Thread: Legal Mini Chopper

Bike
    mini chopper

Legal Mini Chopper

I have a mini chopper and would like to make a new chopper that is road legal

where can I find rules on this

I intend to use my mini chopper parts and make a new frame with larger wheels

Bike
    mini chopper

Legal mini chopper?

where can I find rules on this

Bike
    mini chopper

Legal Mini Chopper

where can I find rules on this?

Bike
    TF125

Bike
    mini chopper
    Thank you I've been looking everywhere for that page

Bike
    I just lost count
    Ok I will bite.

Start off with having a good read of this page http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warr...modifying.html. Pay particular attention to the link regarding LVV.

If this has not put you off pick up the phone and talk to one of the two LVV certifiers in Hamilton (three if you are willing to go to Te Awamutu). If none of them put you off (or straight up hang up the phone laughing there head off) then get out your grinder and you welder and start hacking that bad boy up. I will give you some credit and say after 12 months of hard work instead of a $200 piece of shit that was only ever a toy and was only legal on the road through a stupid loop hole you will have a $2,500 (possibly conservative who the hell would know) piece of shit that is now a bigger, slow, even more stupid toy that you will never be able to get rid of even if you wanted to.

You are welcome.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by minichopper View Post
    where can I find rules on this?
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...358-Site-rules

When you joined the site you ticked a box saying you had read these rules and agreed to uphold them. Posting the same item in different threads is prohibited, which is why three threads have been merged into one.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    mini chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Ok I will bite.

Start off with having a good read of this page http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warr...modifying.html. Pay particular attention to the link regarding LVV.

If this has not put you off pick up the phone and talk to one of the two LVV certifiers in Hamilton (three if you are willing to go to Te Awamutu). If none of them put you off (or straight up hang up the phone laughing there head off) then get out your grinder and you welder and start hacking that bad boy up. I will give you some credit and say after 12 months of hard work instead of a $200 piece of shit that was only ever a toy and was only legal on the road through a stupid loop hole you will have a $2,500 (possibly conservative who the hell would know) piece of shit that is now a bigger, slow, even more stupid toy that you will never be able to get rid of even if you wanted to.

You are welcome.

under 50 cc doesn't need a LVV

also you haven't seen my bike how the hell do you know its a $200 piece of shit?

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by minichopper View Post
    under 50 cc doesn't need a LVV

also you haven't seen my bike how the hell do you know its a $200 piece of shit?
    $250???................

Bike
    mini chopper
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    $250???................

Bit more it's a good one

Bike
    mini chopper
    something like this might be cool at the moment my 50cc has a 10 inch rear and a 12 inch front rim with a 4 speed gearbox and does 70kph and I'm 100kg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	564315_494935813904814_1727425936_n.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	311459

Bike
    1997 Yamaha TRX850
    You won't be able to register it for the road .
    I know because we worked with the LTSA and low volume certification rules when they were changed.

Chinese choppers have no VIN from factory that is in the NZ database, good luck with asking the factory for any info or even the dealers who hock them off. They don't pass any EEC compliance and basically are poorly built toys.
    I visited 47 mini chopper factories in China and not a single one produced anything that was remotely safe to use on the road.
    They were horrible death traps.
    Even Mopeds require new rules for first time registration and must be up to a WOF standard .

LTSA realised what death traps they were and changed all the laws to block out any chance of having them registered for legal road use.

Bottom line....
    Buy a real bike.
    www.newmanz.co.nz/shop

Its better to burn out
    Than to fade away

Thread Information