Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Africa Twin CRF1000L

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    Just off the phone and told on its way from Victoria arriving next week in its crate .

It seems there are no real upgrades for the 2017 model (only rumours, spokes, cruise control ? based on the internet) and at least a March ++ wait here in Australia for availability.
    There's a new solid candy red colour but as to which markets get it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRC.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	326569  
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    There is black also.
    Bike arrived and was assembled, they will register it in the new year as I head back to work next week.
    A good start for 2017.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	326655  

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    getting better all round in 2018 (atleast the new "SPORT" model is)

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/11/art...rt-first-look/

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    getting better all round in 2018 (atleast the new "SPORT" model is)

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/11/art...rt-first-look/
    Only thing is they have made it heavier at same time. Really like this bike and that new colour too.
    Not sure that size fuel tank is really needed for NZ riding.
    Waiting till a decent aftermarket fairing/plastic tank option becomes available and affordable. Watched few youtube vids of the excruciating process to access simple things like air filter and battery.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Spotted a DCT model at Honda Hamilton the other day:

Then I spotted the same bike at home in my garage:

I'm really loving the DCT, works really well! For super sporty mode you can use S3 and then dab with the left thumb on the gear-down button whenever you want it to be in a lower gear. With full throttle the 6-speed transmission will change from 3rd to 4th at 140kph, that's plenty sporty enough IMO.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    nice one!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Nice Mark... be interesting to hear your thoughts going straight from DR650... leaning more to the ktm 1090 r myself for next bike....

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Nice Mark... be interesting to hear your thoughts going straight from DR650... leaning more to the ktm 1090 r myself for next bike....
    There are similarities. I was running an 18" rear wheel & 21" front wheel on the DR, no change there. The riding position isn't all that different when going from a dual sport like the DR to an adventure bike like the AT.

Obviously it is much heavier - well, you would think this would be obvious, but it isn't. The Africa Twin doesn't feel obviously heavier than the DR650 to ride. Mind you, I haven't dropped it, I suspect it would feel obviously heavier to pick up. Maybe the trick is to not drop it, I'll see if I can try that.

The AT does feel more powerful and also more refined. There is a decent amount of power there, even if you are already over the open road speed limit. If you are at 80kph in 6th gear, you can use your left thumb on the down-shift button - dab, dab, dab, twist (with right wrist) and you are pretty quickly sailing past that mobile obstacle. The AT is capable of exceeding 200kph, the DR650 isn't.

My magnetic tank bag works great with the AT, damn thing wouldn't stick to the Acerbis tank on my DR!

The brakes work a LOT better! Twin front disks & ABS on the AT, you can really feel the stopping power!

The AT really does feel like a proper off-road capable road bike. In comparison the DR650 feels like a farm bike that you are riding on the road.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    what sort of mileage are you getting from the tank (or should I say kilometerage)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    what sort of mileage are you getting from the tank (or should I say kilometerage)
    It all depends on the right wrist. But it isn't hard to get 5.5 - 6.0 litres per 100km so the 18.8L tank is good for over 300km range. Riding fairly sanely (unlike how I do it) and getting 5.5km per 100L - you would expect ~340km on a tank.

The bike does have a fuel gauge, economy readout & once the fuel is low an estimated distance remaining comes up on the display. Running out of fuel shouldn't be something that an Africa Twin rider experiences.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I have been farking up my AT. I've just fitted a pair of Oxford Hot Grips (Premium Touring Edition are the right size without needing to cut them down) and wired up a USB socket with QC3 (faster charging on the cellphone). I've also fitted the Outback Motortek crash bars, engine guards and skid plate - much better protection for the bike. I have an SW Motech top plate with Givi Monokey adapter kit which has allowed me to mount my E-55 Maxia top box that I had been using on the ST1300. I've changed the foot pegs to Black Dog foot pegs, much better size for my size 10.5 boots. I've also fitted a Rox Riser adjustable handlebar riser - much more comfortable both for sitting and for standing. I have an Outex kit to fit front and rear, planning on tackling that today. I have an Eastern Beaver PC-8 on the way, that should be easy enough to install.

Now I have to wait another two weeks for my next fortnight's pay so I can buy more stuff. It will take a few pays before I am able to buy the pannier set I want - US$1100 for the rack and 40L/36L panniers + shipping + GST once it arrives = over NZ$2k, YIKES!

I've run ~1,100km so far and the bike has had its first (1,000km) service, now it should be good until it hits 12,000km and needs the 2nd service. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until February 2019 for my next 4 week holiday and the SI trip down to the Burt Munro with multiple side trips to see more of the SI that I haven't been to before. But there should be a few shorter trips in the mean time.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I saw something on Facebook about AT wheel spokes corroding. Aren't they stainless steel?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I saw something on Facebook about AT wheel spokes corroding. Aren't they stainless steel?
    No. Thats why they fail.

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    No. Thats why they fail.

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk
    2018 edition have stainless spokes, but they are not released yet.Throttle by wire but no criuse control, more sport modes, and a little engine fettling, and a adventure sports model with a bigger tank.

Bike
    none for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    2018 edition have stainless spokes, but they are not released yet.Throttle by wire but no criuse control, more sport modes, and a little engine fettling, and a adventure sports model with a bigger tank.
    Too many unnecessary things if you ask me

Thread Information