Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: More detail on the new Africa Twin

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I would wager they were Japanese test riders, too.
    Yep, they did look a little wee didn't they

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Maybe not quite as light as predicted\hoped - http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ked-video.html

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    couldn't help notice how hard the front suspension was being worked over the bumps...I'm picken 230+kgs fuelled up?
    Your guessing isn't too shabby

About 230kg fully fueled depending on spec (std and ABS about that) and DCT adds 10kg ish.

To put it into perspective, the R1200GS (wet head) is 238kg. KTM 1190R is 234kg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    DCT... 1/4 tonne ADV bike....
    At least they didn't put a dam parriot beak
    on the front of it...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Looks very nice, looking forward to seeing one in the flesh

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    From official Honda blurb on the new DCT, featuring incline detection, whatever that might be -

Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) for adventure
    Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) will be available as an option on the CRF1000L Africa Twin, with the use of a common crankcase keeping the width the same as the manual transmission version.

It features the standard manual mode – allowing the rider to operate gear shifts through triggers on the left handlebar – and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising. S mode has now been revised to give extra levels of sports performance, with three different shift patterns to choose from: S1, S2 and S3.

Of course, DCT for the CRF1000L Africa Twin is also fully equipped to operate in an adventure environment, with off-road functionality enhanced by the G switch positioned on the right side of the instrument panel. Pushing the G switch in any riding mode improves traction and machine control – all-important for off-road riding – by reducing the amount of clutch slip during gear changes.

Further new functionality for the DCT system comes in the form of incline detection, by means of which the gear shift pattern is adapted depending on the grade of any incline to provide optimum control.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Honda have obviously learnt a lot from watching Charlie n Ewan wrestling their beamers round the globe. The customer can now buy clutch control skills with the bike to compensate for any lack of them. Anyway you cut it, for most folks, manhandling a quarter ton bike on steep loose surfaces needs all the help you can get. wonder if Recluse will make something for the non DCT version
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm still wondering about strategic stalling of bikes on steep hills where\when required. How does one do that with a Rekluse or DCT? The DCT comes with a parking brake, does one need to engage that in such circumstances?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I'm still wondering about strategic stalling of bikes on steep hills where\when required. How does one do that with a Rekluse or DCT? The DCT comes with a parking brake, does one need to engage that in such circumstances?
    You can stall a rekluse, usually just before you crest a steep ascent

Hitting your kill switch is as easy/easier than a deliberate stall anyway though....

Bike
    91 R80GS
    OK now dumb it down for the thickies. So it is like my odyssey which is either full time auto or tap the lever to the right & select gears I want? So It doesn't come with a normal clutch?

I kinda thought it looked kinda OK - at least looking a bit more off roadish than most new adv bikes.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    OK now dumb it down for the thickies. So it is like my odyssey which is either full time auto or tap the lever to the right & select gears I want? So It doesn't come with a normal clutch?

I kinda thought it looked kinda OK - at least looking a bit more off roadish than most new adv bikes.
    I'll put ya crook....it has a computer called Hal inside the clutch basket who takes care of gear changes for you, before you even realise you need them taken care of
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    We don't even need to know how it works, it costs more, it weighs a lot more. Just look at the specs on the base model and throw that big heavy can in the trash, spend the money on an after market can and a chip.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

DCT has 3 options, auto for maximum fuel efficiency, sport auto which holds each gear longer, and manual which utilises the + and - buttons on back and front of the left grip. It apparently also has a 'G' button (no G spot jokes please) which puts it into some sort of off road special mode, including incline detection... Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

It has no clutch, but I understand a gear lever for the left foot is optional, you can use it in the same fashion as the + and - buttons if you so desire.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    DCT has 3 options, auto for maximum fuel efficiency, sport auto which holds each gear longer, and manual which utilises the + and - buttons on back and front of the left grip. It apparently also has a 'G' button (no G spot jokes please) which puts it into some sort of off road special mode, including incline detection... Your guess is as good as mine on that one.

It has no clutch, but I understand a gear lever for the left foot is optional, you can use it in the same fashion as the + and - buttons if you so desire.
    My guess would be the incline gizmo is traction related. Slip ere n thur. Kinda like the diff lock of the bike world in a way?

Thread Information