Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: More detail on the new Africa Twin

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Apparently, the first stock will be here before Christmas, if only just. I was told by one upper NI dealer that once that initial batch of AT's were gone, the second run would incur a $2,000 price increase across the range. DCT models will be special order only as they haven't sold well previously so dealers are iffy on investing in them... To me, the specific appeal of DCT in the AT is the off road ability which I can see as being of great benefit but I won't buy one if I can't try it. Up to Honda NZ...

Make of that what you will!
    Going by past Honda actions the next batch will prob be on sale 5-6k cheaper a year later lol.... Blades, CBR600's, crossrunners , VFR1200s were all dumped on the market recently.....
    As good as it is its still a jap bike with a BMW pricetag... and the BMW has more carpark/driveway bragging rights for those that buy based on that which is prob many....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Going by past Honda actions the next batch will prob be on sale 5-6k cheaper a year later lol.... Blades, CBR600's, crossrunners , VFR1200s were all dumped on the market recently.....
    As good as it is its still a jap bike with a BMW pricetag... and the BMW has more carpark/driveway bragging rights for those that buy based on that which is prob many....
    Nothing wrong with bemmers mate. I did not buy mine to Bragg. I got mine because it's a ripper of a bike.
    I do agree though Honda have made some big stuff ups lately. They have really tried to build up so much hype about the launch of this bike. If it does not match people's expectation based on this hype it will go the same way as some recent Hondas and sold off cheaply a year or so after launch.

Bike
    I think the price is ok but the weight is a bit disappointing. It's too heavy for proper offroading, so it's just another big ADV tourer. Doesn't make any sense in NZ unless you carry a pillion all the time.

I would've liked to see it at least be a compelling option for an upright, comfy, punchy roadbike but the MT09 Tracer has it beat in every respect to that end.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    All the big bore AVT bikes are heavy mothers with stepladder seats. Why expect this to be different? Its not a 600

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I think the price is ok but the weight is a bit disappointing. It's too heavy for proper offroading, so it's just another big ADV tourer. Doesn't make any sense in NZ unless you carry a pillion all the time.

I would've liked to see it at least be a compelling option for an upright, comfy, punchy roadbike but the MT09 Tracer has it beat in every respect to that end.
    umm it is an adv tourer!!!!! another north islander that needs to do some roads down south maybe?

proper offroading? maybe get a 450exc or something

Bike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    umm it is an adv tourer!!!!! another north islander that needs to do some roads down south maybe?

It's a continent crusher. There's just no need for that much weight unless you're carrying a lot of weight. And there's no need to carry that much weight in NZ.

I was hoping, perhaps unrealistically, for something like the 210kg wet, 115hp, $18k Tracer with the advantage that it wouldn't break if it got dropped.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
    Nothing wrong with bemmers mate. I did not buy mine to Bragg...
    Yes I agree, I'd like one too... #NicoleArbour #GoTeam

Bike

Ironically the marketing term 'adventure' for bikes started off and has always been for bigger bikes anyway

Not for me, yet, but the people who buy them always seem more than happy, and from where I'm looking the new AT is not all that heavy. It is not even much more than those old 750's people drool over (yet were never an absolute roaring success when in production. Interesting that...)

Bike
    3 black ones
    It's a continent crusher. There's just no need for that much weight unless you're carrying a lot of weight. And there's no need to carry that much weight in NZ.

I was hoping, perhaps unrealistically, for something like the 210kg wet, 115hp, $18k Tracer with the advantage that it wouldn't break if it got dropped.
    but there is a need for a hayabusa in nz????? oooooooooooook

how about we just settle for a the tracer engine in the tenere then

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Light weight, 999cc HP to burn. Get into it ya pussies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999 duke.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	316352  

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Some of us can't pack light. One trip, upon my return I weighed my luggage, and including the boxes themselves, 14, 16 and 18kg. As soon as you're putting in a laptop (in a backpack, with plenty of extra cables), some work gear, 2-4 bottles of water, 1L of oil, tools... starts racking up quickly...

Some of us also own one bike, so while a 450EXC would be great for gnarly off road, I wouldn't want to do a 1000km day ride. I wouldn't want to carry pillions on it... horses for courses. The AT could go off road (obviously it won't glide across the top of sand etc), but you could also carry a pillion on a Sunday cruise with mates etc.

If the AT sells well, you could see something more mid range like the Tenere 660. On the other hand, some are using the CB500X or NC750X. Low down torque makes them perfectly usable for gravel exploring etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    but there is a need for a hayabusa in nz????? oooooooooooook
    I meant there's no need to carry supplies for thousands of km. Unless you're riding in circles you just can't go all that far in NZ without reaching the sea.

how about we just settle for a the tracer engine in the tenere then
    That'd be interesting.

Bike
    I meant there's no need to carry supplies for thousands of km. Unless you're riding in circles you just can't go all that far in NZ without reaching the sea.
    Sure some people go overboard, but you don't need to be going 1000's of miles to need a bit of gear either. Think about what you'd want to take if you were heading to a back country hut/area for 4-5 days.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Some of us can't pack light. One trip, upon my return I weighed my luggage, and including the boxes themselves, 14, 16 and 18kg. As soon as you're putting in a laptop (in a backpack, with plenty of extra cables), some work gear, 2-4 bottles of water, 1L of oil, tools... starts racking up quickly...

Some of us also own one bike, so while a 450EXC would be great for gnarly off road, I wouldn't want to do a 1000km day ride. I wouldn't want to carry pillions on it... horses for courses. The AT could go off road (obviously it won't glide across the top of sand etc), but you could also carry a pillion on a Sunday cruise with mates etc.

If the AT sells well, you could see something more mid range like the Tenere 660. On the other hand, some are using the CB500X or NC750X. Low down torque makes them perfectly usable for gravel exploring etc.
    Yep I agree. If we're all honest very little of adventure riding is actually adventure. Just about all of my fav dirt roads have seen my GSXR750 go over them too. Even the DR has its balance compromised once a little bit of gear is loaded.
    For me its about something that has good balance and ground clearance to cope with rough pot holed 4wd tracks and be able to park anywhere on rough terrain. Add into the mix some extra grunt for good highway cruising and I'm sold.

Thread Information