Thread: Piaggio Zip 2t service

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket

Piaggio Zip 2t service

Hi all

My wife has a Piaggo 50cc 2smoke scooter, we bought it new a few years ago.

Just wondering what I should service on this, as it is getting up in the K's since it was last serviced. I've never owned a 2stroke before but I'm thinking:

Spark plug
    Gear box oil

Anything else that would need doing? The bike has now done around 6'000ks of commuting. Would rather not take it to a workshop to do something I am capable of.

Cheers in advance

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    When is the belt due for replacement? You don't want that breaking while underway...

I'm sure you'll be able to download a owners manual or service manual from the internet.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Hi all,
    My wife has a Piaggo 50cc 2smoke scooter, we bought it new a few years ago.
    Just wondering what I should service on this, as it is getting up in the K's since it was last serviced. I've never owned a 2stroke before but I'm thinking:

Spark plug
    Gear box oil

Anything else that would need doing? The bike has now done around 6'000ks of commuting. Would rather not take it to a workshop to do something I am capable of.
    Cheers in advance
    Yes to both the above.
    If the plug is a good colour and is still easy to start, then just refit. Replace if it's tired. Gearbox oil approx every 6000km.
    Not much else, probably clean foam air filter, lube throttle and brake cables. Those Piaggio 2T engines are sweet.

If you want to open up transmission case for a look, then inspect condition of rollers and drive belt. If there's obvious signs of wear to belt (frayed threads or anything) then replace. If the rollers are still nice and round then reinstall as is. If they are flat spotted, then replace with similar weight ones.
    If you don't know how to remove variator to get to the rollers, then Youtube it.

To be honest, if the scoot has been going fine, no hard starting, throttle bogging, or strange noises, then top up 2T oil and keep riding.
    You should get 10-15,000km before anything really needs work, so long as you take care of the basics - oil, air filter, and keep out of the hands of a teenage lad.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    Yes to both the above.
    If the plug is a good colour and is still easy to start, then just refit. Replace if it's tired. Gearbox oil approx every 6000km.
    Not much else, probably clean foam air filter, lube throttle and brake cables. Those Piaggio 2T engines are sweet.

If you want to open up transmission case for a look, then inspect condition of rollers and drive belt. If there's obvious signs of wear to belt (frayed threads or anything) then replace. If the rollers are still nice and round then reinstall as is. If they are flat spotted, then replace with similar weight ones.
    If you don't know how to remove variator to get to the rollers, then Youtube it.

To be honest, if the scoot has been going fine, no hard starting, throttle bogging, or strange noises, then top up 2T oil and keep riding.
    You should get 10-15,000km before anything really needs work, so long as you take care of the basics - oil, air filter, and keep out of the hands of a teenage lad.
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah she's a good runner, had a Sunny 50 before which I spent every 2nd weekend keeping going.

I will do the trans oil and plug and look at the drive belt.
    It's garaged so in virtually brand new nick. Fantastic little scoot to ride, used to love getting off my Gixxer and taking it for a ride straight away for a laugh

Thread Information