Thread: Insurance in the UK?

Bike
    A black one

Insurance in the UK?

I've had a couple people mention that it's very hard to get bike insurance in the UK and Europe if you're not a citizen.

I've got a two year working visa and will be looking for a bike after I find work there but I am just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. Mainly, how hard it is to get insurance and if it's very costly.

I know it's a bit of a general question but if it's of any help I'm 24 at the moment but might be 25 by the time I get a bike. I'm looking at getting something reasonably large to tour on - probably a 650 at the lower end of the scale and a 1200 at the highest.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...my son just paid 1100 pound for insurance on a 400 pound car...one of the quotes was nearly 4000 pound...I think a young person wanting to ride a m/c there would be looking at a lot of money...lots of money...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    You might find this an interesting read...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    You might find this an interesting read...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/
    Thanks for the link.

Judging by that site the insurance will be pricey indeed. Here's hoping I can work something more affordable out..

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Unfortunately, gone are the days when you could buy a cheap car, put a particular beer bottle label in the tax disc holder and often get away with it... or a piece of paper with "Tax Disc in Mail" on it. Yeah it was in the mail, via Outer Mongolia and on camel delivery...

Today there are no tax discs, it's all electronic and you have to have at least third party and a current MoT to tax your vehicle... big brother is watching you and his name is George...

If you follow any English bike vlogs, might be worth asking them about the rules and regs...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Judging by that site the insurance will be pricey indeed. Here's hoping I can work something more affordable out..
    You can go 3rd party only or 3rd party, fire and theft. Not sure how lack of citizenship will count but if your legal to ride in the UK you should be able to get insured. If you want to tour Europe, insured, you will have to go fully comp and factor in medical & repatriation. Bit of a quagmire. May be worth looking at insurance for the UK only and short term up grading for a Euro jaunt. Bike wise you will probably be looking at something exceedingly middle of the road in capacity, ability and theft appeal. Not necessarily a bad thing. The UK has cameras everywhere.
    Have a look at UK forums for advice and consider arranging insurance through a dealer you buy a bike from. Might be less hassle but I doubt cheaper.
    If you have a no claims history here get it in hard copy from your insurer.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Depends on if you are buying, hiring or borrowing:

if you are hiring a bike, the companies insurance will cover you - however you will need to keep the documentation (which is your proof of insurance) with you at all times
    if you are borrowing a bike (and provided you have a valid licence for the bike being borrowed) you can get added to the owners insurance (usually for a fee) as a named driver
    if you are buying, not citizenship shouldn't be a problem so long as you are living in the UK, however it might proove tricky if you plan to go over there on holiday, buy a bike, ride it, then sell it at the end. as the insurance company won't have a permenant address etc.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Did you know that in the UK, you can get a discount off your car insurance premium if you have a full bike licence?

Yes it's true.

The cost of UK motor insurance is largely affected by the amount of time you have gone without a claim. A 60% no claims discount is worth having and you can use your NZ record in the UK, so that should help.

25 is the key age in the UK. My son is 24 and his premiums will soon change drastically.

Risk is the main factor. If you live in Smallsville, in Waywayfromanywhere county, where there is no motor crime, then you have a good chance of getting a cheap policy.

As I always had a car and a bike and I was able to get them on the same policy. Lots of competition in the UK and there's always someone wanting to do you a better deal. Shopping around is the thing to do.

Good luck!
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    A black one
    Thanks for the info all - maybe things won't be as dire as I initially though..!

I'll eventually have a permanent address there and will be looking to purchase a bike under my own name, not rent or hire.

Good call re proof of no claims. Luckily I have that, so I'll make sure to get a copy/proof from my insurer.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thanks for the info all - maybe things won't be as dire as I initially though..!

I'll eventually have a permanent address there and will be looking to purchase a bike under my own name, not rent or hire.

Good call re proof of no claims. Luckily I have that, so I'll make sure to get a copy/proof from my insurer.
    Hopefully these links, link. From someone in a similar situation a couple of years ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932127
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1055137
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952555
    Manopausal.

Bike

On a completely different tangent, you have to surrender your NZ drivers license to get your UK one, but luckily, you can just tell NZ you lost your license and get another (think it's $30 bucks) so you get to have a copy of both

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    On a completely different tangent, you have to surrender your NZ drivers license to get your UK one, but luckily, you can just tell NZ you lost your license and get another (think it's $30 bucks) so you get to have a copy of both
    I didn't know that. When I got to the UK in 2013, I borrowed a friend's car, but his insurance company wouldn't accept me as I wasn't a UK licence holder. I went on line and resurrected my old expired one and it cost around $50, with just 3 days to arrive.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I didn't know that. When I got to the UK in 2013, I borrowed a friend's car, but his insurance company wouldn't accept me as I wasn't a UK licence holder. I went on line and resurrected my old expired one and it cost around $50, with just 3 days to arrive.
    Might be different if you already had an expired UK one. Two friends had to hand over their NZ licenses but then whenever back for a visit couldn't buy a beer with their UK one (not accepted form of ID here ) so that was how they got around it.

Bike
    2014 BMW R1200GSA

Good advice that you have been given on here especially the proof of no claims. When I first came over to the UK, I didn't do this and it took years to build up my no claims discount from scratch Also make sure that your no claims is no more than 2 years old or they won't accept it. In other words get the letter from your NZ insurance just before you leave.

Also as someone else has pointed out on here, where you live will make a big difference to your premiums. The middle of London will be the most expensive and not really worth having a bike in anyway. The middle of Wales will be the cheapest but you probably won't find any work there!

Almost all UK insurance policies will cover you for Europe as well as part of the policy. It varies depending on the insurer but 30 days cover in one trip is usually the minimum. I think mine covers me for 90 days in any one trip.

Remember that you'll probably not ride during the winter months here - Dec,Jan,Feb and a lot of riders put their bikes away in October and don't get them out again till April/May. It is the best (cheapest) time to find a good used bike but then it's not worth paying the insurance if it is just sitting in the garage.

Good luck - I'm sure you will have fun!

Thread Information