Thread: Best Insurance for overseas travelling motorcyclists

Bike
    Several old ones

Best Insurance for overseas travelling motorcyclists

Looking to ride through the states for a few weeks, Any ideas on the best / cheapest travel insurance companies to investigate in NZ.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    Looking to ride through the states for a few weeks, Any ideas on the best / cheapest travel insurance companies to investigate in NZ.
    Be aware a lot of regular travel insurance excludes anything but small capacity motorcycles, often the restriction stops at 250cc or suchlike.

If you're renting/hiring, then it's likely the company could offer something, otherwise when I was touring the US I used: http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I travel to the US frequently for work (and store a coupla bikes in LA). Researched extensively and settled on the AA's Travel Insurance product. Because, it'll cover a year of recurrent trips at a time and the assistance company servicing the policy has an acceptable reputation.

That said, I insure my 2 bikes (turbo Vrod and Boss Hoss V8) with Progressive because that's the only way I get sufficient cover for medical expenses if I crash / hit someone else / am hit by an under- or un-insured driver.

As others have said though, if you are renting a bike over here the insurance - for while you're riding - is factored into the (expensive) daily bike rental charge. You'll still of course need non-bike-related travel insurance.

Thread Information