Thread: Bike for Europe

Bike
    2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring

Bike for Europe

Did a trip to the Eastern US last year (Miami to Washington DC), and rented a bike from EagleRider. 10 days on an ST1300 cost USD3,000! I could have shipped my Multistrada there and back for that and have had a bike that was actually fun to ride ...

Last week was in San Francisco for a conference, and hired an R nine T for the day - USD300 ...

Planning a trip to Europe next year (6 weeks or so) - France, Alps, Italy, that sort of thing. Now, I could ship my bike, but I'd be without it for longer than I'd like and there are compliance issues (like I've removed the catalytic converter), carnets and ... hassle. Alternatively, I could hire or buy. The benefit of buying is (hopefully) the bike will run well, if I buy in the UK I can get the bike VAT free (I just need to persuade the dealer to do the paper work), then ship it back. Granted, I pay GST on the cost of the bike, shipping and insurance, but that should end up being cheaper than buying here and more critically I get to use the bike in Europe for 6 weeks, which is the point, right?

Anyone done this?

The next question is, what to get. Not much point in getting another Multistrada as I have the 2014 model and the 2015 isn't really that much of an upgrade. The R1200GS and S1000XR are just too similar to bother - I want something different to what I have. I'm not really a sport bike person - it's 6 weeks, and I don't want a crick in my neck or a numb butt; and I want some luggage.

Any ideas? I'm currently thinking a naked bike - R nine T? Monster 1200S? Open to advice and suggestions anyone may have.

Bike
    '06 vfr 800 81 GS550 postie

Europe

Hi Ikarus, we did the same maths last year. We were living in UAE, ended up shipping our MTS1200 to Germany, six weeks of utter bliss, 7000kms, and shipped back to UAE, bike now back here in NZ. We dealt with Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg, he cleared the bike for us in Frankfurt, and shipped it out for us, great guy. Check out Knopftours, he also runs a really neat B&B, bike storage and tours business. He has a big range of beemers for rent, loads of Euro touring experience, and is situated a couple of hour's riding from all the juicy Alpine action.
    Altho the Alps are fantastic, my advice would be to include the Pyrenees in your plans, utterly beautiful, fantastic roads, and way less traffic, and if you can, go thru thru the Gorge de Verdon in S.E. France.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140802_120603.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	312136  
    lucky bastard

Bike
    2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by liljegren View Post
    Hi Ikarus, we did the same maths last year. We were living in UAE, ended up shipping our MTS1200 to Germany, six weeks of utter bliss, 7000kms, and shipped back to UAE, bike now back here in NZ. We dealt with Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg, he cleared the bike for us in Frankfurt, and shipped it out for us, great guy. Check out Knopftours, he also runs a really neat B&B, bike storage and tours business. He has a big range of beemers for rent, loads of Euro touring experience, and is situated a couple of hour's riding from all the juicy Alpine action.
    Altho the Alps are fantastic, my advice would be to include the Pyrenees in your plans, utterly beautiful, fantastic roads, and way less traffic, and if you can, go thru thru the Gorge de Verdon in S.E. France.
    Thank you Liljegren - very helpful.

I have friends dealing with a BMW dealer in southern Bavaria (considering the new R1200R) and will think about that. To be honest, the idea of taking my Multistrada is very appealing. Gorge de Verdon is definitely on the list.

Thread Information