Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1Tonne Terminator gear - anyone tried this?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650

1Tonne Terminator gear - anyone tried this?

I'm looking to buy the 1Tonne Terminator set (pants + jacket) as soon as they get some more sizes back in stock.

Pants: http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?pa...categoryid=101

Jacket: http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?pa...categoryid=101

Has anyone tried this set? If so I'd love to know how it fits - slightly large or slightly small? I prefer gear that fits slightly tight than slightly loose, but still probably fit on the line between small and medium for both pants and jacket. If it helps I also wear a 1Tonne Panther 1 piece suit in size 50.

Also does anyone have any comments on the overall quality of the Terminator pieces? They're a great price for leather gear, hopefully the quality matches the Panther suit I have (which is fantastic for the price).

Bike
    2012 M50
    I got the Terminator jacket around 2.5 years ago. Haven't gone out of my way to look after it and its held up well, only comment would be on the zips on the cuff's they started to fail (zip wouldn't stay closed) after about 4-5 months, kept meaning to get the zips redone but never got round to it, gloves over the cuffs keeps it sealed enough, I have seen another guy that put domes on the end of the cuff to help keep the zip closed so I would suspect its an issue with the zip...

Used in all weather and managed to stay dry through a couple of torrential downpours and a full winter of daily riding in the Waikato winter, the zip in liner helps but still had to wear thermal for longer rides. Opening the zips on the arms and chest in summer helps get enough air through to stay cool if moving, but as with all leather prepare to sweat a bit if you get stuck at lights a lot...

As for fit, I'm 184cm and 105kg and the XXL is a "snug" fit, I always liked that as it held the armour in place. Being leather there was a little give over time as it molded to me.

Bike
    Thanks that's good info. This stuff would mostly be for my winter riding, so not too fussed on summer performance. Do you know if the pants come with a spare zip for the jacket end? I'd love to be able to zip these pants to my current summer jacket as another option.

Bike
    2012 M50
    Couldnt answer that myself, when I was looking at pants I found the zip on the Terminator Jacket didnt fit with the teeth on the Berik pants I bought and the Jacket didnt come with a zip to put into pants(or the pants with a zip for the jacket) as I believe some brands do. I did speak to a local leather shop here about getting them matched but ended up getting a Berik jacket too...

Bike
    Thanks. How did you find the fit of the pants?

Bike
    Husqvarna TE 2007
    Is leather cooler or warmer than textile for summer riding?

Bike
    Leather is hotter than textiles in summer, generally speaking.

Bike
    A fast one
    I would have thought someone would be looking for textile gear in winter, given its better performance in wet weather.

I have full textile outfit and an Alpinestars full leather suit. The leather suit doesn't get touched over winter as it is no where near as waterproof as the textile gear.

Bike
    I ride in moderate rain and commute on my bike most days, but I tend not to find myself doing huge K's in rain. For that reason I don't need the absolute best wet weather performance. I like leather gear because the fit tends to be better once it has been worn in, it looks better and, most importantly, it performs better if I come off.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I like leather gear because the fit tends to be better once it has been worn in, it looks better and, most importantly, it performs better if I come off.
    Don't come off then

You could always buy an over-jacket rain suit.

On really rainy days I wear my textile gear with a cheapo Warehouse raincoat over the top. Does the job nicely.

Bike
    2012 M50
    Thanks. How did you find the fit of the pants?
    The Berik ones? I didnt manage to get hold of the Terminator ones in the end, they were never in stock when I was able to order them.

Bike
    EX250
    I've had a short experience with the jacket, cannot tell much about zips. But, this is a quite famous motorcycle jacket manufactured in Pakistan and sold usually via alibaba. It is sold in Australia(Rhino), NZ (1tonne, cnell), UK(couldn't remember brand, sorry) and so on.

I've tried falling once (intentionally, on a flat ground). Leather looks like working good, pads aren't so well. I've reinforced it with a better back protection pad (cut from the old gear). And will probably continue reinforcing with some fancy (ICON or Alpinestars) pads for around 50$.

Bike
    I should write an update, because I bought the gear so can hopefully give some useful info. I'm going to do a full write up at some stage, but for now I'll just give some facts. I've only done < 100km in the gear so far, so I'm not close to being able to offer a decent review.

• The fit is larger than I expected - I was reluctant to order because I thought I'd be a medium, which was out of stock. Small fits me perfectly. I'm a short ass, 5'6" with an claimed 32" waist.
    • The pants have plenty of stretch. If you're debating between two sizes, go smaller unless you have huge quads.
    • The pants aren't hugely long. They're slightly too long for me, as everything is.
    • The jacket will surely be a bit short-fitting on very tall people.
    • The construction quality is really good for the price.
    • The styling isn't quite what I expected - the jacket, for example, looks quite slim and sporty in the pictures, but it's more of a boxy '90s mechano-man style. It's not a bad style, just not quite what I thought.
    • The leather has more shine that the pictures look - it's not quite a matte finish like some of my other leather gear.
    • I don't love the CE protection. It's a styrofoam type of material, and I prefer the softer rubbery stuff that comes in higher grade gear.
    • Everything is fully lined and the jacket has a warm layer which is decent. On cold mornings wind cuts through the centre zip.
    • So far the gear is very comfortable, and will surely only get more comfy as time goes by,
    • The pants and jacket zip together well - this is my first zip-together two-piece. The zip on the jacket is fastened to a flimsy piece of fabric, which is a surprise. I don't think it would last well in a serious crash.

I haven't had a chance to test the waterproof claims yet - I really can't see how this gear could be waterproof, but I'm prepared to be surprised. I didn't buy it with waterproofness in mind anyway.

So far I'm very impressed with the gear. Getting a 2-piece set for the price of a pair of decent pair of trousers is great.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nelubian View Post
    I've had a short experience with the jacket, cannot tell much about zips. But, this is a quite famous motorcycle jacket manufactured in Pakistan and sold usually via alibaba. It is sold in Australia(Rhino), NZ (1tonne, cnell), UK(couldn't remember brand, sorry) and so on.

Yep that's the jacket all right. That price makes me weep a bit to be honest....

Bike
    EX250
    Yep that's the jacket all right. That price makes me weep a bit to be honest....
    first my thought was like this, but: Jacket + delivery+ customs + salary + tax and a few dollars for a beer to calm down the stress... and it is not a bad price tho. If the fancy protection is needed, you may always buy brand pads cheaply.

Thread Information