Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ticket for no rego - withdrawn.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    You would learn to accept their terms too if you ignored a sign that said unauthorised vehicles can be towed at owners expense. Failing to take notice of the signage can be very expensive. If parking rules could not be enforced on private land anyones property could be suject to strangers using it as a carpark. My only gripe is their terms of adding no reg and WOF to their parking charges.
    Removing your property from their private property is quite different to a private enterprise trying to enforce traffic laws on private property.
    (Mind you, it's just popped into my head that they may be able to do it through some bullshit insurance angle? Seems to be all the rage these days.)

Even then there are somewhat strict rules around towing, including who can do it, why and from where. They can be hard to fight when your property can essentially be held ransom though.

Bureaucracy is awesome huh.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    that's exactly what happens, the local body only gets a percentage of the fine.
    Yeah, but it's a big percentage - 50%.

So in Auckland a warden could fine you $12 for being parked a few minutes too long, but get no wof, no reg - $400 fine which the council gets to keep $200 of.
    Some may be surprised that the council gives out these fines, but I am not.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

The registration number of the bike hadn't been put on hold three years ago - and had hence been cancelled.

On the way to get the an inspection and a new registration number, a policeman gave a ticket for no "rego", ie vehicle licence - which cannot be purchased without a WOF. No WOF can be issued until the bike had been inspected.

The policeman concerned simply wasted time and resources in issuing a ticket which shouldn't have been issued, and the police were discourteous not to inform the "defendant", the summons had been withdrawn.
    Yes, it is the classic government mandated Catch-22. You can't buy a registration until you have a warrant. Online or otherwise. If you are stopped on the way to VINZ you won't have a registration because you cannot. A simple and excellent revenue earning / quota meeting opportunity, despite the Usual Suspects saying it's BS.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Just looked at the Wilson Website and they say nothing about being able to issue a Breach Notice (fine by any other name) for no reg or WOF so why would they require a reg and WOF for parking? You would think if they sent you a breach notice for no WOF reg they would not be able to enfore it as it has nothing to do with parking duration management.
    This (and other matters) have arisen before. The parking companies have actually sent breach notices out, but they're not really legally enforceable like tickets from police etc. I think some have been covered in threads on here, also fair go etc.

As said, they allow parking wardens to do it (I know as I've challenged someone walking around a vehicle before, and they were a warden). Now, legally, exactly how that works I'm not sure. I know if you're parked in public you're fair game, but is a public park on private property "public parking". Would have to look up the laws...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    As far as the legal enforceability of breach notices go they say on their website that there has been a challenge in the Disputes Tribunal and they were found to be enforceable. I guess this would fall under the rights of property owners to impose whatever terms they felt like for parking on their land.
    It would for terms related to the service they provide, nothing else.
    My stupid example above for example, charging you $50 per step wouldn't fly because it is clearly ridiculous, not related to the service of renting a space to park and use of whatever facilities are provided with that.

I believe the fees for overstaying your prepaid park have been challenged and beaten as well because the service provider has to prove that the charges are related to their own costs, and therefore fair.

An example of fighting unreasonable charges like these are the class action suits against banks for 'dishonoured' and OD payments. They were/are charging up to $25 for you trying to spend money that wasn't there/in that specific account. Numerous banks are now losing numerous lawsuits based on the fact the cost to them was only cents (if that) so $25 was, is, essentially price gouging and unreasonable, and as it turns out illegal.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    It would for terms related to the service they provide, nothing else.
    My stupid example above for example, charging you $50 per step wouldn't fly because it is clearly ridiculous, not related to the service of renting a space to park and use of whatever facilities are provided with that.

I believe the fees for overstaying your prepaid park have been challenged and beaten as well because the service provider has to prove that the charges are related to their own costs, and therefore fair.

An example of fighting unreasonable charges like these are the class action suits against banks for 'dishonoured' and OD payments. They were/are charging up to $25 for you trying to spend money that wasn't there/in that specific account. Numerous banks are now losing numerous lawsuits based on the fact the cost to them was only cents (if that) so $25 was, is, essentially price gouging and unreasonable, and as it turns out illegal.

Sure is and what would SHE know!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information