Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Triumph street triple 660 worth the price?

Bike
    None yet

Is Triumph street triple 660 worth the price?

After riding few months on my ninja 300 ( on learners still ), I decided to test ride the Triumph street triple 660 to just see what is my capabilities in handling more powerful bike.

Wish I didn't

I absolutely loved the triple 660 beyond belief, I was surprised how much better I managed to ride, manoeuvre, be comfortable and actually enjoy the riding more than the ninja 300.

The handling is superb, power is outstanding, comfort if perfect (for me) and I almost went mad to trade in my ninja for the bike. But the difference the dealer wanted was very dear.

Now I'm tempted to sell my ninja and get the triple 660 to simply enjoy riding.

But I am worried $14000 for a LAMS triple 660 is very high. Technically I can afford to pay for it , but thinking that the bike will be always restricted ( can not be derestricted at any stage due to specific ECU coding ).
    Is the bike worth that much or will retain the value even as a LAMS triple ?

I have Yamaha MT-07 in mind as well , I haven't ridden it yet, but lack of ABS worries me ( as a newbie) when dealing with that much power.
    Albeit Yamaha is almost $3000 cheaper , and produces same power and torque almost.

What should I do???

I would really appreciated your help and advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    You'd be out of your mind spending $14k on a learner bike. Get your full, buy the full fat version.

Bike
    Husqvarna TE 2007
    Have you read the Bike Trader shootout on all the 600cc LAMS models?, this may help you

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 50Shades View Post
    Have you read the Bike Trader shootout on all the 600cc LAMS models?, this may help you
    You cant make statements like this without a link.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Wont matter which one you buy if its looked after then your loss when you change it will be about the same.

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    stick with the 300. won't take as much of a hit when it comes to trading up to a full fat bike, and you already have it. i was thinking about buying one of the 650 learner bikes, but decided f**k it, i have a perfectly fine bike to learn on, it does the job, and means you have to learn how to corner well as you can't just flick the wrist to hide a mistake.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    You can't just flick the wrist to hide a mistake.
    Bet a lot of guys wished they had flicked their wrist rather than make a mistake.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennz View Post
    After riding few months on my ninja 300 ( on learners still ), I decided to test ride the Triumph street triple 660 to just see what is my capabilities in handling more powerful bike.

Wish I didn't

I absolutely loved the triple 660 beyond belief, I was surprised how much better I managed to ride, manoeuvre, be comfortable and actually enjoy the riding more than the ninja 300.

The handling is superb, power is outstanding, comfort if perfect (for me) and I almost went mad to trade in my ninja for the bike. But the difference the dealer wanted was very dear.

Now I'm tempted to sell my ninja and get the triple 660 to simply enjoy riding.

But I am worried $14000 for a LAMS triple 660 is very high. Technically I can afford to pay for it , but thinking that the bike will be always restricted ( can not be derestricted at any stage due to specific ECU coding ).
    Is the bike worth that much or will retain the value even as a LAMS triple ?

I have Yamaha MT-07 in mind as well , I haven't ridden it yet, but lack of ABS worries me ( as a newbie) when dealing with that much power.
    Albeit Yamaha is almost $3000 cheaper , and produces same power and torque almost.

What should I do???

I would really appreciated your help and advice

Save your money and stick with the 300. When you get your full buy the 675 Triple.

Its that much better again.

You will not wipe the grin from your face when you ride it.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    You'd be out of your mind spending $14k on a learner bike. Get your full, buy the full fat version.
    I know two people who have them and really like them. Sure, you get the depreciation hit of any new vehicle, but both the people I know are people who have sat on their learners for ages then got "Caught out" and have to now sit for ages on restricted or whatever it is now.

Both wanted a "proper motorbike" and one that they didnt loathe after quarter of an hour, or feel obliged to sell as soon as they got their full licence.

OP might be in that category.

Clearly there is a market for them because they have sold a ton of them. And it isnt even the most expensive LAMS bike. there is a Ducati that is like $18k.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    None yet
    I see myself in the same category, just thinking to move on to a bike which I can still enjoy with my learners but potentially keep it for few years.

That would mean a bike I enjoy and feel more confident and has an actual good performance. Just paying $14 is something I am struggling with. I probably ride mt07 to just see and be sure.

Are there any other bikes which fit LAMS groups and similar to triple 660 but older ?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    What he said. $14k............

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennz View Post
    I see myself in the same category, just thinking to move on to a bike which I can still enjoy with my learners but potentially keep it for few years.

That would mean a bike I enjoy and feel more confident and has an actual good performance. Just paying $14 is something I am struggling with. I probably ride mt07 to just see and be sure.

Are there any other bikes which fit LAMS groups and similar to triple 660 but older ?

That triple is very nice though. Idd buy that. Buy the mt07 and it will devalue 3k approx. Buy the trumpet and 4k. Differnce is 1k. Idd pay 1k more to own the trumpet over the couple of years. 10dollars a week extra rental. Worth it. Get it. Do it. You know you will wish you did if you don't.

Bike
    Any brand new vehicle is going to lose you a ton of money.

Resale on a LAMs bikes is better than non LAMs though.

Bike
    A
    We've all been in the L plate bike situation before...but if you've got the money to step up to a better L plate bike, what's stopping you?

Bike
    None yet
    I'm just wanting to know others opinion if the bike is worth that much or better to consider MT-07. Not enjoying the ninja as much due it characteristics for me, it has been good to learn on but wanting something bigger and possible in street naked range

Thread Information