Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chill factor - Wear the right gear folks

yeah, I got stories of how tough I was as a young fella....but now I'm an old fart and harden the fuck up just doesn't work anymore.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    yeah, I got stories of how tough I was as a young fella....but now I'm an old fart and harden the fuck up just doesn't work anymore.
    I hear you! The things I put up with at student age seem ridiculous now.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    WTF is a thermal wet weather suit??...its a nice light weight one piece suit ..........,,
    o)
    Or otherwise referred to as a gold ole 'boil in the bag' suit.

yep they work really well, I changed over to the two piece variant, allows for a bit more flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Chill factor - Wear the right gear folks

Oh if ya light on space on ya bike, but want something just in case, grab a hand full of them cheap wharehouse emergency ponchos.
    Only a couple of bucks each. . They are folded up small as so take up feck all space, weigh nothing and made of a light flimsy plastic.

But holy heck they keep the wind and rain out awesome so ya kept dry and nice n toastie.

They are only single use thingies but great for stashing a few easily on any bike. I used to keep a couple of them taped to underside of my ole CBR seat. When the weather fouled up, whip one out n wear under ya jacket, and bingo, dry and warm. When ya get to ya destination, either fold it up or bin it, simple as.

Oh, one other thing I keep on the bike (in my first aid kit) is those emergency plastic silver hypothermia blankets. They work awesome if ya need em. Just cut a hole for ya head and wear under ya jacket, all sorted, dry n warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's

To true....
    bikes are for fun now.... being cold an't fun....
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    To true....
    Coldest I have ever been was on the desert road, shivering on the bike. Stopped at Waiouru for fuel, but more importantly just to get off the bike, it was quite tropical there by comparison.

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Coldest I have ever been was on the desert road, shivering on the bike. Stopped at Waiouru for fuel, but more importantly just to get off the bike, it was quite tropical there by comparison.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    To true....
    And can be dangerous.

Did the Coromandel loop with ice lining the roads at 11am. That day I was inadequately dressed. By the time I got back to Auckland my brain was not working to full power. Had to lane-split to avoid a car that I had seen coming and didn't see as a threat. I had stopped shivering a couple of hours before I got home (and not because it was warmer).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

I know I'm an old softy now, but are the young riders of today soft because of all the gear they use. At 16 I treated my motorcycle as a powered pushbike, I rode to work on frosty mornings with no gloves, no helmet and a nylon jacket, I probably thought it was cold, but didn't moan about it, that's just what you did.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    CB1300
    I know I'm an old softy now, but are the young riders of today soft because of all the gear they use. At 16 I treated my motorcycle as a powered pushbike, I rode to work on frosty mornings with no gloves, no helmet and a nylon jacket, I probably thought it was cold, but didn't moan about it, that's just what you did.
    I have definitely gotten softer as gear has gotten better and my ability to buy it has improved.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Has something to do with metabolic rate... and age...

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    [QUOTE=pete376403;1130870939]My home-made electric vest worked brilliantly on the Brass monkey. -5 degrees at HariHari on Thursday morning and (from the waist up) perfectly warm and comfortable. If I've calculated correctly its 12 watts (12v and 1 ohm resistance cold)

12 Volts, 1 ohm = 12 amps = 144 watts although it'll go up when the wire heats up. Would be nice and warm though.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    Triple Delight
    You can buy pills for that these days

You know what, a large part of me agrees with this, back in the day we just rode.

I remember having to paint my nice, white, nurses shoes, with white house paint before returning to work as I had ridden wearing them in the rain and they looked very road film black...Matron would not have been impressed!

I am not so sure the youngsters are soft, as much as we are getting old Yes, we had to tough up, we used the best we had. We were also foolish, and young and bullet proof.

I can remember being some sort of limpet pillion, clinging to the back of my then hubby, as he/we screamed back to Warkworth from Wenderholm. I believe it was summer clothes all the way, and it was thunder and lightning, hail and torrential rain. I have never been so wet, nor cold. Hail HURTS on bare arms and legs at some sort of highway speed you know...

Would not even consider riding like that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    ... and young and bullet proof.
    some things never change ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=varminter;1130871240]
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    My home-made electric vest worked brilliantly on the Brass monkey. -5 degrees at HariHari on Thursday morning and (from the waist up) perfectly warm and comfortable. If I've calculated correctly its 12 watts (12v and 1 ohm resistance cold)

12 Volts, 1 ohm = 12 amps = 144 watts although it'll go up when the wire heats up. Would be nice and warm though.

Okay, what would be the most efficient way to make a variable controller for it. At present I just switch it of when it gets too hot. And, seeing as it appears you know about this stuff, how can I make a DC-DC converter that would handle 5 or so amps? I've an old flight suit that's fully wired for heat but its 24V.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information