Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chill factor - Wear the right gear folks

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    Okay, what would be the most efficient way to make a variable controller for it. At present I just switch it of when it gets too hot. And, seeing as it appears you know about this stuff, how can I make a DC-DC converter that would handle 5 or so amps? I've an old flight suit that's fully wired for heat but its 24V.[/QUOTE]

Well, that serves me right for being a smart arse. Sadly, just because I remember Ohm's law does not make me a designer. Simplest would be a 1 ohm resistor in parallel but you'd still be drawing the same and it would get really hot. At 140 wats I bet your jacket gets warm, my heated under jacket is only 75 wats on full and that roasts me. Usualy run on low or 1. You could Google it but electric stuff is so cheap...
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    I guess the simplest way would be a temperature sensor feeding back to a switching circuit that cycles it on and off.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I know I'm an old softy now, but are the young riders of today soft because of all the gear they use. At 16 I treated my motorcycle as a powered pushbike, I rode to work on frosty mornings with no gloves, no helmet and a nylon jacket, I probably thought it was cold, but didn't moan about it, that's just what you did.
    You forgot to mention the uphill both ways part :-P

I'm a 'pussy' and take enjoyment from being warm and dry where possible. Thawing numb hands isn't bad ass or fun to me :shrug:

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    An interesting video on riding a 1200GS on snow. All in french. Beautiful scenery.

" Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike

Bike
    It was on the good
    I got some of these at another one of their sales but my hands were too cold to open them www.1-day.co.nz/onsale/pilz/

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Okay, here's another angle... As a lot of you know I'm now living in the Philippines where the temperature is always in the mid 30's, (heat index mid 40's).

My question is; would merino thermals help to keep me cool? At present I have an Alpinestars mesh jacket and Teknic riding jeans. These are always soaked in sweat even after a relatively short ride and have to be dried.

One observation... Why do manufacturers nearly always make black gear when dark colours absorb the heat. Lighter coloured gear is available here, but strangely enough it's not popular.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    My question is; would merino thermals help to keep me cool? At present I have an Alpinestars mesh jacket and Teknic riding jeans. These are always soaked in sweat even after a relatively short ride and have to be dried.

One observation... Why do manufacturers nearly always make black gear when dark colours absorb the heat. Lighter coloured gear is available here, but strangely enough it's not popular.
    Hollow core fibre thermals are mostly designed to wick moisture away from the body but retain warmth so you're probably going to bake anyhow.

Camel traders in the Sudan wear black more than anything else...and they've been doing it for thousands of years....go figure

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Same here... black seems to be the most popular colour for clothing. I stick to the lightest colours I can find.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I got some of these at another one of their sales but my hands were too cold to open them www.1-day.co.nz/onsale/pilz/
    A fetching merino Cardigan and bulk pack of maxi pads may have been a better buy for you

Minus 1 in the Waikato this morning, I normally don't ride when it's this cold, but with handlebar heaters, ski mittens and Oxford muffs it wasn't too bad....cold thumbs was about it. Layers upon layers, all natural, kept me almost warm. I was colder off the bike at work, I had to put my hands under the hot tap several times to thaw them out, and my feet went numb on the concrete floor.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information