Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Neither of these examples are from our country - why then do you speak of "us" ???
    Social engineering tends to spread

Stupid social engineering spreads exponentially...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Social engineering tends to spread
    Thankfully enlightenment tends to also.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I understand the concept of the Hippocratic Oath but do doctors truly believe that them swearing an oath should over-ride the right of a person to choose the time of their death with whatever dignity they have left?

(Obviously I'm only talking about terminal illnesses).
    We had to make the painful (but correct) decision to unplug my father back in 2011, and I can assure you, the fantastic Dr gave us that knowing look when telling us he'd feel no pain that basically told me he'd help him along with a decent shot of morphine.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    We had to make the painful (but correct) decision to unplug my father back in 2011, and I can assure you, the fantastic Dr gave us that knowing look when telling us he'd feel no pain that basically told me he'd help him along with a decent shot of morphine.
    I'm fairly certain the same happened with my Dad too. If that's indeed what happened then I'm extremely grateful for the gesture.

So if it's happening behind the scenes is it not time to have serious, open dialogue about it?

Bike
    Normally Suzuki

Must have been amazingly hard, but obviously the best thing to do for your dad man.
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    Various things
    I'm fairly certain the same happened with my Dad too. If that's indeed what happened then I'm extremely grateful for the gesture.

So if it's happening behind the scenes is it not time to have serious, open dialogue about it?
    We were too mate. And absolutely. It's incredible to think we have the right to terminate a life before it's born, but not end the incredible pain, suffering and loss of dignity to a proud person when they're basically fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    Must have been amazingly hard, but obviously the best thing to do for your dad man.
    It was indeed. Worst day of my life so far. But had to be done.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    ...... It's incredible to think we have the right to terminate a life before it's born, but not end the incredible pain, suffering and loss of dignity to a proud person when they're basically fucked....
    and here we have it, the inconsistencies of societal "norms"

change is hard on a society, I think Katman is right, open dialogue is well past due.
    Unfortunately for some, that means those opposed to the change get to have their say as well and for it to be taken seriously. If we do not take seriously the idea that things may be better the way they are then the dialogue is meaningless, then it is just engineering.

Its not all doom and gloom though, I think life would be very depressing if we did not from time to time take stock and remember all the growth that has happened in our society. Some changes have had painful births, but nothing worthwhile has ever come about easily, isn't that the cliche?

If we keep asking the questions being asked here then who knows, there may be a solution in our lifetimes.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

If we keep asking the questions being asked here then who knows, there may be a solution in our lifetimes.
    We live in hope mate!

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    And another thought......

When does removing someone from life support become a form of euthanasia?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I believe the distinction is when the Life Support system is artificially keeping the body alive and there is no brain activity (as in they are brain dead) but I will defer to a medical professional.
    As in most cases it's never clear cut and is usually left to the Doc to inform. Apparent miracles do happen and after switching life support off, the patient remains breathing. We have all heard of people coming out of a coma after many years

In my father's case they offered to withdraw the antibiotics that was preventing pneumonia. Dad was literally a barely breathing skeleton, bed sores, morphine pump, the works. However he was conscious and when this man who had sworn that in the event he became like this he would want to be euthenased, was asked if that was what he wanted, said, (rather whispered), "No, keep them going."

He died three days later.

I have lost loved ones to MS, cancer and Motor Neurone disease and in each case, they had effective pain relief and did not want their death hastened.

It's good to discuss it but in practice it already happens under the present system. We don't really know what we would want until we are actually in that position.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    . Apparent miracles do happen and after switching life support off, the patient remains breathing. We have all heard of people coming out of a coma after many years

So there's hope for you yet.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    We don't really know what we would want until we are actually in that position.
    Just remember I'm here for you if you ever need assistance Ed.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    The relevance of the analogies is the desire of your ilk to enforce your beliefs on other people who then you demand implement them. Or else. And the 'Or Else' enforced by Government Diktat.

Item 1: A bakery owner in Oregon broke down in tears while discussing the fallout of her and her husband’s decision not to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple on the basis of their Christian beliefs. Earlier this year, the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries found “substantial evidence” that Aaron and Melissa Klein, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, discriminated against the lesbian couple. Oregon bakery owners face a $150,000 discrimination fine for not baking a wedding cake for lesbians. They now face a fine in excess of $150,000. Aaron said the fee would “definitely” be enough to bankrupt the couple and their five children.
    Stop thy clodhopping logic right there mister.

"I will provide a cake-baking service to anyone. Except gay people."
    "I will not provide a death-assistance service to anyone. End of."

Do you see the difference?

Now, if you refused to kill anyone except gays, that'd be discrimination.

On your #2, about the guys spreading their junk, the relevance utterly escapes me.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    On your #2, about the guys spreading their junk, the relevance utterly escapes me.
    Euthanasia testing candidates?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    So old you won't care
    The prime goal is to alleviate suffering, and not to prolong life. And if your treatment does not alleviate suffering, but only prolongs life, that treatment should be stopped. Christiaan Barnard

All the energy that goes into this debate should be directed at the religious whacko's that prevent contraception, the bastards that start wars and the pricks that steal aid goods from the starving. The child molesters and the rapists, the people who hurt and harm just because they can. In short - all the negative, crappy things.

Governments are more than happy to kill others that oppose them so if some folks want out bad enough and they meet certain criteria why not? Governments are (in general) not too keen on keeping people alive pointlessly or providing expensive medical interventions while their illness is treatable so its only logical to assist with the inevitable.

The only thing that really stops us is the faintly uncomfortable feeling that one day we will be standing in front of some god or other explaining our actions. Its an odd situation because surely the question should go the other way...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    perhaps the discussion will happen after all

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ary-euthanasia
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information