Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Bike
    2007 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Unfortunately I suspect that the woman currently bringing this issue into the spotlight will not see it addressed.

I imagine the powers that be will wait until she dies naturally and then hope that they can simply sweep the issue back under the carpet.
    The main problem, from what I can tell, is not that "the powers that be" oppose it. It's that they realise the members of the public who oppose it do so extremely strongly, to the point where attempting to implement it would be political suicide.

Many politicians, MoH officials etc are probably strongly in favour. It's just that to come out and say so would invite so much 'controversy', media, hate mail, etc that doing it isn't worth their jobs. The issues with democracy.....

In a democracy where much of the population are apathetic the strong views of the minority will always hold excessive sway. Nothing to do with power, money etc - it's just the extent to which they are vocal. That combined with the fact that it's easier to report on strong opinions than on apathy creates a distorted appearance of strong opposition.

(Sidenote - looks like physician support varies wildly by country. Surveys seem to indicate support is stronger than opposition in the UK and America, some countries in Europe have much stronger support, and many asian countries are more heavily opposed.)
    Library Schooled

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Milts View Post
    The main problem, from what I can tell, is not that "the powers that be" oppose it. It's that they realise the members of the public who oppose it do so extremely strongly, to the point where attempting to implement it would be political suicide.
    Well hopefully someone who opposes euthanasia might be able to shed some light on how they can hold so much sway over those who could ultimately make the necessary law change.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I understand the concept of the Hippocratic Oath but do doctors truly believe that them swearing an oath should over-ride the right of a person to choose the time of their death with whatever dignity they have left?

(Obviously I'm only talking about terminal illnesses).
    Im all for those with terminal illness dying however they want.
    Most of those who fight it in court lose, then just do it anyway, because what the fuck are they gunna do after you put a gun barrel in your mouth or whatever.

Though I suppose the argument some will raise relates to the part in brackets in your post - they'll say that the next argument will be, why can't people die if they are in perfect health, but feel content that they have achieved and done what they want in life? hell if they are of sane and sound mind, then should it not be their decision too? - which is sort of a compelling argument - I suppose not everyone wants to grow old slowly, not everyon has or wants a family either?

It's odd how we place limits on what one can, and cannot do to themselves - I know a few women who do not want children for various reasons, but are limited in what options they can take due t being fairly young. they are adamant they NEVER want kids, but no doctor wil let them take the steps they want to ensure they never can due largely, to their age.
    weird.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    If anyone wants to kill themselves - just pull a plastic bag over your head and pull a zip (cable) tie in as tight as you can - it wont take long!
    a guy I knew did just that. If he'd known the mess that ensues when the body goes into the last spasms he wouldn't have done it as he was proud of his car so chose that as the place...

i think most people who are afraid of it are scared of their own family taking matters into their own hands. i've known two good mates and my wife's parents who were certainly given enough morphine to blur the boundaries of assistance. Quite common I understand - and if I'm in that situation, I hope to get the same consideration.
    Politicians are probably right to fear euthanasia...

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Try as I might, I cannot understand what argument people can have against euthanasia.

Any ideas?

Since you have demonstrated a versatile resistance to logic and facts, surely you are trolling?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Since you have demonstrated a versatile resistance to logic and facts, surely you are trolling?
    Not at all.

In fact, as someone in the medical profession, I'm extremely interested in your views on the matter.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Reasons both ways.

Against is as noted before risk of arsehole offspring topping off mum and dad to gain the coin. Presumably there would be a suitable process to detect this first, but there is also apparently a suitable process to detect dodgy foster parents in NZ ........

Doctors ...... pretty sure there are plenty who does up the morphine at the end of a life to let the poor sods drift away peacefully.

It is a funny old world. You can take you aged suffering well loved family pet to the vet and have it put out of it's misery without question. Try the same with your suffering human loved one .....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Wanking into a little plastic jar is NOT classed as 'someone in the medical profession'.
    I'm assuming (based on some of his previous posts) that RDJ is a doctor of some description.

If all he does is wanks into a little plastic jar then I stand corrected.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And for that matter, wouldn't it make more sense to have a referendum on this issue rather than on a flag change?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    If all he does is wanks into a little plastic jar then I stand corrected.
    I had to do that a few weeks after my vasectomy. It was all I could do not to giggle like a schoolboy when the surgeon said I had to do it. It was the way he said it. "You must provide a sample. This is done by maaaasturbation".
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CB1300
    And for that matter, wouldn't it make more sense to have a referendum on this issue rather than on a flag change?
    Plus 1.
    I don't wank into plastic jars for a living so I may not be qualified to vote on such an issue but I would prefer that those in Palliative care were not in fear of jail time when they disable the dose control on the morphine pump.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I had to do that a few weeks after my vasectomy. It was all I could do not to giggle like a schoolboy when the surgeon said I had to do it. It was the way he said it. "You must provide a sample. This is done by maaaasturbation".
    Did he get the nurse to do it for you or did you go public health?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Is wanking into a tissue or any other disposable receptacle murder? All those sperms killed. They are after all alive.

I've decided it is OK. After all women murder their eggs once a month. Cruel bitches.

Bike
    suzuki
    do the flag first, then when euthanasia becomes legal people will have the right flag to hang at half mast, i can see people wanting to die but ashamed to have the current flag hung at half mast.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Is wanking into a tissue or any other disposable receptacle murder? All those sperms killed. They are after all alive.

I've decided it is OK. After all women murder their eggs once a month. Cruel bitches.
    How does one or three once a month compare to a holocaust 3-5 times a day?
    And you call bitches cruel.

Thread Information